Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: Wine in hot NY and cooler Georgia

Heatwave! No wine Wednesday as I was making a trip into the city. Thursday was littlenecks in a garlic sauce (on grill), corn, caprese. Wine was 2012 Pepiere/Ollivier “Briords” Muscadet. Full, crisp, seashells and saline. Good length,. Perfect on a hot night. A-/B+

Friday was an assemblage of leftovers and cleaning out fridge before we headed south for a couple of days- cold chicken, pasta with asparagus, argula, and squash, and the
2010 La Lunotte “Les Printemps.” This rose could pass for a light red, very tart cranberry and raspberry, earthy. I probably would have liked this better with this meal if it had been a bit more delicate- I was thinking light-bodied rose. B-

In Atlanta at my parents, I grilled filet mignon to go with corn, baked potato, and salad, wine was the 2008 Bogle Petite Sirah. Still a bit of tannin, darker fruits with a bit of a pruney edge, a bit clipped. No guarantees this is a sound bottle, who know how long it has been in dad’s kitchen cabinet. C+

Sunday night we went to my brother’s house, and then to their clubhouse for dinner. I had blacked ahi tuna salad- with blackened anything wine is a hard match, so I just went ungeeky and ordered the “white blend” they were offering on special.
Franciscan Equilibrium, vintage unknown. Grassiness/grapefruitiness makes me think SB, but maybe some Viognier in their- lots of floral notes. Moderate acids, plenty of fruit, not too long, but pleasant enough. B-

Betsy had ribs, as she is not a beer drinker I suggested maybe a Zin. The BTG pour was Biker Zinfandel (vintage unknown). Sweet, briary, fairly short. B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 7/22/13 12:47 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Heatwave! No wine Wednesday as I was making a trip into the city.
> Thursday was littlenecks in a garlic sauce (on grill), corn, caprese.
> Wine was 2012 Pepiere/Ollivier “Briords” Muscadet. Full, crisp,
> seashells and saline. Good length,. Perfect on a hot night. A-/B+

Good to hear, Dale. I've got some awaiting shipment (probably from the
same source yours came from). Not that I had much doubt about what to
expect from it... ;-)

Good luck getting decent wines on your vacation. We're off to Germany
for 2 weeks, so with luck you'll be hearing about some of our vacation
wines.

Mark Lipton