Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Sandy week wines

Well, damn. Sandy was scary enough I didn’t have any wine Monday night, just monitoring house, starting generator, watching things like my fence fly, and reassuring dog.. After a long work day Tuesday, got several dinner offers from friends with power. Went with those that were closest and included the dog in invite. They had pot roast, mashed potatoes, green beans. Turned out they had a bottle of Chinon open, and I had carried a Chinon

2009 Wilfrid Rousse “Les Puys” Chinon
Fresh, red fruited, espresso and herb, juicy. B

2009 Clos de Turpenay Chinon
Great acids, red fruits, leather, a little more reserved than the Rousse, a bit more “serious”, but I liked them equally. B

Betsy was in Portland ME post-concert, on Wed gave up on Amtrak and rented a car. On her way she stopped at Rein’s deli for stuffed cabbage and matzoh ball soup. We enjoyed by candlelight with the 2004 Domaine Ste. Anne “Notre-Dame des Cellettes” Cotes du Rhone Villages. Red fruit, earth, underbrush, meat. mature , kind of baby CdP. B+/B

Thursday she decided to cook at her sisters (heat, lights, etc) and made some snacks, plus a squash soup and scallops and shrimp in a red sauce with salad. We had

2009 F. Cotat “Les Monts Damnes” Sancerre
Full, long, and lovely. Ripe but without overt sweetness, good acid backbone, very long, A-

2010 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett
Good acids, zippy, citrus and white flowers, pretty enjoyable. B+/A-

Best part of dinner was walking home to a house with heat and lights (if no internet/cable). Today when I finish work will deliver generator to friends in need, glad not to be doing that anymore!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11/2/12 3:28 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Well, damn. Sandy was scary enough I didn’t have any wine Monday
> night, just monitoring house, starting generator, watching things
> like my fence fly, and reassuring dog.. After a long work day
> Tuesday, got several dinner offers from friends with power. Went with
> those that were closest and included the dog in invite. They had pot
> roast, mashed potatoes, green beans. Turned out they had a bottle of
> Chinon open, and I had carried a Chinon
>
> 2009 Wilfrid Rousse “Les Puys” Chinon Fresh, red fruited, espresso
> and herb, juicy. B
>
> 2009 Clos de Turpenay Chinon Great acids, red fruits, leather, a
> little more reserved than the Rousse, a bit more “serious”, but I
> liked them equally. B
>
> Betsy was in Portland ME post-concert, on Wed gave up on Amtrak and
> rented a car. On her way she stopped at Rein’s deli for stuffed
> cabbage and matzoh ball soup. We enjoyed by candlelight with the 2004
> Domaine Ste. Anne “Notre-Dame des Cellettes” Cotes du Rhone Villages.
> Red fruit, earth, underbrush, meat. mature , kind of baby CdP. B+/B
>
> Thursday she decided to cook at her sisters (heat, lights, etc) and
> made some snacks, plus a squash soup and scallops and shrimp in a red
> sauce with salad. We had
>
> 2009 F. Cotat “Les Monts Damnes” Sancerre Full, long, and lovely.
> Ripe but without overt sweetness, good acid backbone, very long, A-
>
> 2010 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett Good acids,
> zippy, citrus and white flowers, pretty enjoyable. B+/A-
>
> Best part of dinner was walking home to a house with heat and lights
> (if no internet/cable). Today when I finish work will deliver
> generator to friends in need, glad not to be doing that anymore!

Glad to hear that you've got power again, Dale. I hope that you've been
able to catch up on your sleep. Nice selection of wines, too!

Mark Lipton

TN: Many wines last week DaleW Wine 0 04-08-2015 05:13 PM
[TN] This week's wines Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 5 26-11-2013 10:21 PM
TN: a week of wines (most I liked) from all over DaleW Wine 3 30-03-2013 10:01 PM
TN: Pre-Sandy wines DaleW Wine 9 01-11-2012 11:27 PM
Mid week wines Ian Glover Wine 5 22-02-2004 01:59 PM