Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: SOBER drinks 1998 Pomerols, 1982 Baroli, 1972 Burgs, more

Mark hosted SOBER on a drizzly night last night. He started off greeting us with a beautiful bubbly, the 1996 Phillipponat "Clos de Goisses" Brut Champagne. Big but not ungainly, with baked bread, apples. Meyer lemon, and orange zest. Good acidity, fine mousse. Very nice. A-

Dinner was delicious, a delicious chicken/orzo soup, then grilled kebabs (chicken, zucchini, peppers, tomato, etc), followed by assorted cheeses and a lemon cake. The wine flights were blind except one bonus flight added by Craig.

White White Flight
We flailed a bit on this (I guessed Godello on #2) before Mark took pity on us and told us they were both Kerner from Alte Adige, which I think we would have really taken a while to get to. Nice wines.

#1) good acids, floral, citrusy fruits, good wine. 2010 Manni Nössing Kerner Südtirol Eisacktaler. B+
#2) this was exotic, with a pineapple and melon nose, but great acidity. Really good stuff, 2011 Koferhof Kerner. A-/B+

Flight 2 (reds)
Craig called Bdx 1995-1998, then Dan 1998, which made it pretty obvious RB, Mark confirmed all 1998 Pomerol. Great flight, all on upswing, but already delicious and with long futures.

#1 - herby, elegant but with power, my guess was Certan de May but it was 1998 La Conseillante. A-
#2 - this one had a constantly evolving nose: licorice, sweet fruits, vanilla, but seemed less exuberant than others. 1998 Ch. La Fleur de *** B
#3- more cassis, full and giving, great body and length, delicious, when Mark said “you should be able to guess based on variety” made VCC easy to guess. 1998 Ch. Vieux Chateau Certan. A-
#4- lovely, full, elegant, beautiful with a long future. 1998 Ch. Trotanoy. A-/A

Flight 3
Piedmont wasn’t too hard, but hard to believe these were both 1982 Barolo
#1- ok, I was thinking maybe 50s, madierized notes with some tar and sweet fruit underneath, not what one would expect from a good bottle. 1982 Marcarini “Brunate” Barolo NR
#2- fresh, vigorous, red fruits and spice, tar. 1982 Scavino “Bric del Fiasc” Barolo. B+/A-

Non-blind Intermezzo (Craig had samples from a trade tasting that afternoon). These had been opened a while. I thought these rather pleasant, apparently very old vines in Rias Baizas (where I’d only had whites), but at reported price tags probably not for me.

2009 Goliardo Loureiro
wild hot nose , but rather cool and balanced on palate. Crunchy red fruits. B
2009 Goliardo Espadeiro
wild melange of flowers and red fruits on nose, good acids, I liked. B+/B

Final Blind Flight
I think (with a hint about a birthyear) this was pegged as 1972 Burgundy quickly.
#1 - high almost sharp acids, bright red fruits, flowers, lovely. 1972 Grivot “Les Beaumonts” Vosne Romanee 1er. A-/B+

#2=fuller, earthy, very long, no hurry on this one. I’m a better social engineer than taster, but since Mark said the CdN was 1er, which made the CdB either village or GC, easy to guess Corton. #2 1972 Tollot-Beaut Corton A-

Since he had opened birthyear wines for Craig, Mark also opened one for me, the 1960 Burmeister Port . Not sure I’ve ever had a Burmeister before, but this was quite convincing. Like most ‘60s not a powerhouse, but this is a lovely lighter elegant port, nutty aromas over light red fruits, caramel, flowers. A-/B+

Very fun, delicious, and informative night, thanks Mark!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/16/12 11:09 AM, DaleW wrote:

> White White Flight We flailed a bit on this (I guessed Godello on #2)
> before Mark took pity on us and told us they were both Kerner from
> Alte Adige, which I think we would have really taken a while to get
> to. Nice wines.

Did Mark seriously expect any of you to get Südtiroler Kerner blind? I
suppose that he has a very high opinion of your collective abilities and
experiences as tasters, but that seems to me to be a ridiculously high
bar, even for a MoW candidate.

What a great set of wines, Dale! Kudos as usual to your SOBER crowd.
Good get on the '72 Corton, regardless of your methods (I'd have done
the same).

> Since he had opened birthyear wines for Craig, Mark also opened one
> for me, the 1960 Burmeister Port . Not sure I’ve ever had a
> Burmeister before, but this was quite convincing. Like most ‘60s not
> a powerhouse, but this is a lovely lighter elegant port, nutty aromas
> over light red fruits, caramel, flowers. A-/B+

Yeah, you '60ers have a very limited choice for birthyear wines. When
my best friend (also a '60er) turned 40, I got him a '60 Port for lack
of better options. Fortunately, he's a fan of big red wines, so it
wasn't a problem. Jean and I, for better or worse, have far better (and
more expensive) options for our birthyears ;-)

Thanks for the fun notes, Dale!
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:09:56 AM UTC-6, DaleW wrote:
> [...]
>

> Since he had opened birthyear wines for Craig, Mark also opened one for me, the 1960 Burmeister Port . Not sure I’ve ever had a Burmeister before, but this was quite convincing. Like most ‘60s not a powerhouse, but this is a lovely lighter elegant port, nutty aromas over light red fruits, caramel, flowers. A-/B+
>

> Very fun, delicious, and informative night, thanks Mark!
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Well Kerner is quite distinct. Had my first Italian version Saturday and thought it was quite distinct. The producer Kofererhof also produces a lot of other German grapes. Excellent Kerner and Sylvaner from 2006.

TN: SOBER drinks Burgs, Bdx, Rhones, and more DaleW Wine 0 08-03-2011 03:40 PM
TN: SOBER does 9 Burgs, 3 Bdx,and 1 Champagne DaleW Wine 1 13-05-2009 04:08 PM
1998 Pomerols Bill S. Wine 0 21-04-2009 05:03 PM
TN: SOBER meets Baroli, Brunelli, Shiraz, and Champagne DaleW Wine 1 29-11-2006 08:57 PM
Bordeaux Notes 1982 - 1998 Bill Spohn Wine 3 06-11-2003 07:12 AM