Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Morgons and More (roses, Alsace, Loire, Cote Rotie, etc)

Umeboshi onigiri, steamed silken tofu with ginger and scallions, & arugula/pear salad is a tough combination for wine pairing, and it turns out the 2001 Trimbach “Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre” Gewurztraminer is a terrible match. But the wine was good. A recent purchase at a discount price (from a very reputable source), I was a little worried when cork seemed totally saturated. But wine was fresh - dry, lychee and petrol aromas,a tad oily, good acidity for Gewurz, fun. I generally think Trimbach hit it out of park in 2001. B+

Wednesday dinner was chicken schnitzel over mint/arugula, but while I yearned for Gruner Veltliner I skipped wine as I was going on a Run that night. Thursday was a white Burg dinner noted elsewhere. So Friday when we had a cool day and Betsy made beef stroganoff, I was happy to open a red, the 2010 Georges Descombes Morgon. Lovely, fresh, vibrant, distinctly herby. B+

After dinner I headed to Roger’s , where local group was meeting with a rose theme (too bad it was coolest night of summer). I actually seem to have misplaced my notes (which means they were probably tossed!) and don’t know all the wines (mostly labels unfamiliar to me). The find of the night for me was a pink bubbly, the NV “La Bulotte” -lighter sparkler, crisp and dry, refreshing. I also enjoyed my contribution, the 2011 Arnot Roberts Touriga Nacional. Fleshier and fuller than I remembered, but great balance and length. Others seemed to like the 2011 Whispering Angel more than I did. The Avarcas (sp?) Mencia (Bierzo) rose had a bit too much RS for me. A Provencal rose called something like La Colombe left me a bit cold. A red -the 2006 Zaccagnini Montepulciano d’Abruzzo- was a pretty nice QPR wine.

Yesterday we made a foray to farmer’s market, and stocked up with seafood, duck, and vegetables as we were having friends for dinner. Lovely evening on patio. One friend brought some canapes- cucumber slices with various combinations of olives, peppers, artichokes plus herb marinated mozzarella - that kept people’s attention while I was shucking oysters. Then to table for the oysters and some scallop ceviche, followed by a caprese salad, then cumin/chipotle/cinnamon duck breast with candied almonds and green beans over an arugula and sorrel salad. Donna brought a chocolate cake and berries to finish.

Several wines
2010 Hart Wine Cellars Sparkling Cayuga
Not sure I’ve ever had sparkling Cayuga before, but some still ones have been too foxy for me. But there’s not foxiness here- green apple, herb, with a nice bitter edge to finish. Dry, fairly subdued petillance. Easily best homemade sparkler I’ve ever tasted, bravo Howie. B+/B

2010 Pepiere (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet
Oops, I had actually thought I had brought up the Briords as oyster wine. No worries, the little brother does just fine. Grapefruit and mineral, briney, snappy, great with raw bar. B+

2010 Karine Lauverjat Sancerre. I’ve quite liked this before (and others did this night) but it seems a little flat and I catch myself wondered if I got a hint of must. NR
2010 Jadot Macon-Villages
Crisp, a tad underripe, green apple and lemon, clean. Not bad QPR. B-

1991 JM Gerin “Champin le Seigneur” Cote Rotie
Gerin from mid-90s on seems somewhat modernista/spoofy, but if this saw any new oak it’s well integrated. Leather and a touch of barnyard, this comes across as a bit old school. Blackberry, olives, bacon. Tannins resolved, this is just a bit soft otherwise I’d love. B

2007 Foilllard “3.14” Morgon
Bingo, we have a winner. Totally blooms with air. Crushed berry fruit, floral, spice. Deep and complex. Gets better and better through night. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.