Posted to alt.food.wine

Default More Lunch Notes

Notes from a wine lunch:

1991 Mas Daumas Gassac – dark wine with browning edges, and a raisiny
ripe nose. Still shows some tannin and lots of acidity, and decent
length. Now heading into decline, IMHO.

1978 Ch. Figeac – I initially discounted the possibility that this
might be a 78 as it was too good! I figured possibly an 82. Classic
cedar claret nose, with some plumy sweet fruit, a middle weight supple
wine with some green hints and medium length. This has no business
being that good – I’d had bottles 10 years ago that weren’t anywhere
near as nice. In decline, but going gracefully.

1994 Caymus Cabernet (regular bottling) – ripe sweet fruit with some
coconut in this nose, smooth entry, medium weight, some decent
midpalate fruit and a nice long sweet finish. Pleasant but not
profound.

1994 Ch. Branaire – I tasted this on release and promptly consigned it
to storage for another period of years due to the tannins, but it has
now softened and has a mellow fruit nose tasty with good acid and
still significant tannins. It si now in balance and should be drunk.

2001 Ch. Clarke – a pleasant Listrac of no particular virtue that
doesn’t get in the way of the conversation and should be drunk up.

2006 Jamet Cote Rotie – the edges were starting to fade a little, and
the warm nose of black pepper lacked much floral content, but it was
intense on palate, and tasty, and had a long warm finish. Good
showing and it will continue to drink well for some years.

1994 Beringer Knight’s Valley Cabernet – I had this a couple of days
later, but I’m posting it here as not out of place with mature
company. I’d come across a half case in the cellar and decided I’d
better start in on it. It is still rather dark, with a slightly smoky
fruit nose, and now soft in the mouth with sweet fruit, the tannins
resolved. Pleasant wine for drinking now.

Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 0 03-06-2012 06:25 PM
May Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 1 27-05-2010 09:11 PM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 2 28-02-2005 01:25 AM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 14 12-09-2004 09:46 PM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 1 30-11-2003 11:00 AM