FoodBanter.com

-   -   1997 Biondi Santi Sassoalloro (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/418142-1997-biondi-santi-sassoalloro.html)

Bi!! 05-06-2012 05:21 PM

1997 Biondi Santi Sassoalloro

I stumbled upon a couple bottles of 1997 Biondi Santi Sassoalloro in
my cellar last night so I opened one with veal meatballs in pomodoro
sauce. The wine was medium ruby and clear in the glass. A whiff of
brett on opening which blew off quickly. Tart cherry and salty
minerals on the nose. Bright smooth cherry flavors, a bit of red
raspberry and light tannins on the finish. The wine has aged well,
not terribly conmplex but I enjoyed it. "B/B+"

lleichtman 05-06-2012 06:48 PM

On Jun 5, 10:21*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I stumbled upon a couple bottles of 1997 Biondi Santi Sassoalloro in
> my cellar last night so I opened one with veal meatballs in pomodoro
> sauce. *The wine was medium ruby and clear in the glass. *A whiff of
> brett on opening which blew off quickly. *Tart cherry and salty
> minerals on the nose. *Bright smooth cherry flavors, a bit of red
> raspberry and light tannins on the finish. *The wine has aged well,
> not terribly conmplex but I enjoyed it. *"B/B+"

Good notes. I never keep these around for more than 5-7 years so have
no experience with 15-year old Biondi.

Bi!! 05-06-2012 07:31 PM

On Jun 5, 1:48*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> On Jun 5, 10:21*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > I stumbled upon a couple bottles of 1997 Biondi Santi Sassoalloro in
> > my cellar last night so I opened one with veal meatballs in pomodoro
> > sauce. *The wine was medium ruby and clear in the glass. *A whiff of
> > brett on opening which blew off quickly. *Tart cherry and salty
> > minerals on the nose. *Bright smooth cherry flavors, a bit of red
> > raspberry and light tannins on the finish. *The wine has aged well,
> > not terribly conmplex but I enjoyed it. *"B/B+"

> Good notes. I never keep these around for more than 5-7 years so have
> no experience with 15-year old Biondi.

This is made by Jacopo Biondi-Santi and is an IGT 100% Sanviovese
Grosso wine. Jacopo is the son of the owner, Franco Biondi-Santi. I
normally wouldn't keep the wine this long but it got lost in the
shuffle and I just deiscovered a small cache of little gems like this.

lleichtman 06-06-2012 03:54 PM

On Jun 5, 12:31*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Jun 5, 1:48*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 5, 10:21*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > I stumbled upon a couple bottles of 1997 Biondi Santi Sassoalloro in
> > > my cellar last night so I opened one with veal meatballs in pomodoro
> > > sauce. *The wine was medium ruby and clear in the glass. *A whiff of
> > > brett on opening which blew off quickly. *Tart cherry and salty
> > > minerals on the nose. *Bright smooth cherry flavors, a bit of red
> > > raspberry and light tannins on the finish. *The wine has aged well,
> > > not terribly conmplex but I enjoyed it. *"B/B+"

> > Good notes. I never keep these around for more than 5-7 years so have
> > no experience with 15-year old Biondi.

> This is made by Jacopo Biondi-Santi and is an IGT 100% Sanviovese
> Grosso wine. *Jacopo is the son of the owner, Franco Biondi-Santi. *I
> normally wouldn't keep the wine this long but it got lost in the
> shuffle and I just deiscovered a small cache of little gems like this.

Always nice to find a few tasty orphans.