Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1997 Biondi Santi Sassoalloro

I stumbled upon a couple bottles of 1997 Biondi Santi Sassoalloro in
my cellar last night so I opened one with veal meatballs in pomodoro
sauce. The wine was medium ruby and clear in the glass. A whiff of
brett on opening which blew off quickly. Tart cherry and salty
minerals on the nose. Bright smooth cherry flavors, a bit of red
raspberry and light tannins on the finish. The wine has aged well,
not terribly conmplex but I enjoyed it. "B/B+"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 5, 10:21*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I stumbled upon a couple bottles of 1997 Biondi Santi Sassoalloro in
> my cellar last night so I opened one with veal meatballs in pomodoro
> sauce. *The wine was medium ruby and clear in the glass. *A whiff of
> brett on opening which blew off quickly. *Tart cherry and salty
> minerals on the nose. *Bright smooth cherry flavors, a bit of red
> raspberry and light tannins on the finish. *The wine has aged well,
> not terribly conmplex but I enjoyed it. *"B/B+"

Good notes. I never keep these around for more than 5-7 years so have
no experience with 15-year old Biondi.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 5, 1:48*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> On Jun 5, 10:21*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > I stumbled upon a couple bottles of 1997 Biondi Santi Sassoalloro in
> > my cellar last night so I opened one with veal meatballs in pomodoro
> > sauce. *The wine was medium ruby and clear in the glass. *A whiff of
> > brett on opening which blew off quickly. *Tart cherry and salty
> > minerals on the nose. *Bright smooth cherry flavors, a bit of red
> > raspberry and light tannins on the finish. *The wine has aged well,
> > not terribly conmplex but I enjoyed it. *"B/B+"

> Good notes. I never keep these around for more than 5-7 years so have
> no experience with 15-year old Biondi.

This is made by Jacopo Biondi-Santi and is an IGT 100% Sanviovese
Grosso wine. Jacopo is the son of the owner, Franco Biondi-Santi. I
normally wouldn't keep the wine this long but it got lost in the
shuffle and I just deiscovered a small cache of little gems like this.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 5, 12:31*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Jun 5, 1:48*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 5, 10:21*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > I stumbled upon a couple bottles of 1997 Biondi Santi Sassoalloro in
> > > my cellar last night so I opened one with veal meatballs in pomodoro
> > > sauce. *The wine was medium ruby and clear in the glass. *A whiff of
> > > brett on opening which blew off quickly. *Tart cherry and salty
> > > minerals on the nose. *Bright smooth cherry flavors, a bit of red
> > > raspberry and light tannins on the finish. *The wine has aged well,
> > > not terribly conmplex but I enjoyed it. *"B/B+"

> > Good notes. I never keep these around for more than 5-7 years so have
> > no experience with 15-year old Biondi.

> This is made by Jacopo Biondi-Santi and is an IGT 100% Sanviovese
> Grosso wine. *Jacopo is the son of the owner, Franco Biondi-Santi. *I
> normally wouldn't keep the wine this long but it got lost in the
> shuffle and I just deiscovered a small cache of little gems like this.

Always nice to find a few tasty orphans.

TN: 98 Biondi Santi Il Greppo Brunello di Montalcino T. Autischer Wine 0 26-03-2007 08:54 AM
TN: 1997 Ch. Batailley MarcB Wine 0 04-01-2007 03:35 PM
Brunello's 1997 renato Wine 5 19-12-2006 03:11 PM
TN: Sassoalloro, Franciscan, Esmonin Dale Williams Wine 3 29-10-2004 02:02 PM
Vin De Constance 1997 Richard Neidich Wine 16 18-10-2004 12:32 PM