Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Turkey Day wines: Chinon, Morot and Ridge

For the first time in many years, we chose to stay at home this year for
Thanksgiving and so cooked a traditional meal of turkey, stuffing,
mashed potatoes, cranberry relish, Brussels sprouts and pumpkin pie.
The turkey was prepared by removing the legs for a confit and brining
the breast before roasting it. The result was a very moist turkey. To
go with such a varied selection of foods, I chose several different wines:

2010 Bernard Baudry Chinon Rosé
nose: minerals, smoke, pepper
palate: crisp, light, subtly fruity, bone dry

1991 Albert Morot Savigny-les-Beaunes 1er Les Vergelesses
nose: CORKED!!!!

2003 Ridge Lytton Springs
nose: piney-terpeney, lush berryish fruit, a hint of oak
palate: rich, smooth, quite primary, decent acidity

The Baudry Rosé was just as I recalled it from an earlier encounter and
is really a marvelous rosé. It did very well with most of the foods.
The Morot was a huge disappointment as it was seriously corked, and the
Ridge was opened as a backup bottle as we had friends over who have
fairly California-oriented palates. The LS was fine, but still too
young for me. Overall, a great meal with good food, good friends and
good wines.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 00:37:59 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>For the first time in many years, we chose to stay at home this year for
>Thanksgiving and so cooked a traditional meal of turkey, stuffing,
>mashed potatoes, cranberry relish, Brussels sprouts and pumpkin pie.
>The turkey was prepared by removing the legs for a confit and brining
>the breast before roasting it. The result was a very moist turkey. To
>go with such a varied selection of foods, I chose several different wines:
>
>2010 Bernard Baudry Chinon Rosé
>nose: minerals, smoke, pepper
>palate: crisp, light, subtly fruity, bone dry
>
>1991 Albert Morot Savigny-les-Beaunes 1er Les Vergelesses
>nose: CORKED!!!!
>
>2003 Ridge Lytton Springs
>nose: piney-terpeney, lush berryish fruit, a hint of oak
>palate: rich, smooth, quite primary, decent acidity
>
>The Baudry Rosé was just as I recalled it from an earlier encounter and
>is really a marvelous rosé. It did very well with most of the foods.
>The Morot was a huge disappointment as it was seriously corked, and the
>Ridge was opened as a backup bottle as we had friends over who have
>fairly California-oriented palates. The LS was fine, but still too
>young for me. Overall, a great meal with good food, good friends and
>good wines.
>
>Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
>Mark Lipton

Pretty similar fare here, no pumpkin pie and the Brussels Sprouts were
cooked with a balsamic vinegar finish. I like my sprouts plain but the
balsamic seemed to make them more palatable for the others. Our wines
of choice were a L. Jadot Pouilly Fuisse, clean with decent acidity
and slightly citrus notes as well as a 2005 Phillipe Colim Chassagne
Montrachet rouge "Les Chenes" While I was a little off put by the
name, the wine itself was fresh with the cherry flavors one would
expect and no discernable oak. While I longed for duck (pardon the
pun) with this wine, I found it to work well with the turkey while the
rest of the crew, sans my future son in law, worked on the Louis
Jadot. I like this young man, he has good taste in wine. . .
Posted to alt.food.wine

too bad re corked wine, but I do love that Baudry rose

TN: Week's wines- Gayan, Ridge, Brun, Smith, 3 Croix, etc DaleW Wine 6 15-10-2005 06:56 PM
TN: Dinner Last Week (Boillot, Morot, Moulin Touchais) Jim Wine 1 30-12-2004 12:50 AM
Wines in Turkey TRH Wine 0 19-08-2004 07:01 AM
TN: Pine Ridge Stag's Leap District CS and Ridge Pagani Ed Rasimus Wine 3 28-10-2003 02:15 PM
[LONG] TN: Ridge Wines Mark Lipton Wine 1 27-10-2003 06:53 PM