Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Apfel Cuvee Schaumwein Trocken, Reisetbauer

The Apfel Cuvee Schaumwein Trocken is from Obstbau Reisetbauer -
Axberg, Oberosterreich (Austria). It is sparkling, and contains 5.9%
alcohol. In English speaking countries this would be called a cider.

You can find much cheaper cider from many countries, but this is
something special. It has plenty of sparkle with fairly small bubbles
that last. The color is light yellow, and it is as clear as a well-
made Champagne. Although trocken(dry) the intense, apple fruit makes
it seem less dry than it is. The taste is quite clean and intense with
enough acidity and without the bite of harsh acids of green apples. It
is as gentle with your digestive system as is a well made wine, which
can not be said for some ciders. This is be far the best cider I have
had, but I have only tasted a few others from France and the US NE.

The quality of this cider comes as no surprise to me, since it comes
from Hans Reisetbauer who is perhaps the best maker of eau-de-vie in
Austria. His secret seems to be selection of plenty of the best fruit
for his eau-de-vie. Depending on the laws of various countries, some
add sugar to the fruit to increase alcohol during fermentation and/or
add some grape brandy to increase alcohol just before distillation.
This may be necessary for some berries that produce very little
alcohol during fermentation, but it should be done to the least extent
possible as a last resort. One of Reisetbauer's best examples of eau-
de-vie is his "Vogel Beer" (Rowanberry). This has been sold in the US
for about US$100 per half bottle, which is about twice the price of
many well-known French eau-de-vie. However the great intensity of
bouquet and taste show that this has not skimped on the fruit.
Posted to alt.food.wine

cwdjrxyz wrote:

> The quality of this cider comes as no surprise to me, since it
> comes from Hans Reisetbauer who is perhaps the best maker of
> eau-de-vie in Austria.

He's definitely one of the best eau-de-vie makers on this planet.
(Could one say "distillers"? That's what we would call him in German:
"Destillateur").

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 17, 3:11*am, Michael Pronay > wrote:
> cwdjrxyz wrote:
> > The quality of this cider comes as no surprise to me, since it
> > comes from Hans Reisetbauer who is perhaps the best maker of
> > eau-de-vie in Austria.

> He's definitely one of the best eau-de-vie makers on this planet.
> (Could one say "distillers"? That's what we would call him in German:
> "Destillateur").

Yes, distiller would be correct in English, and for Hans Reisetbauer
it likely is more accurate. He also distills gin and whiskey which few
English speakers would call eau-de-vie. The most unusual eau-de-vie
from him that I have tasted is made from carrots. It tasted much
better than I thought it would.

Posted to alt.food.wine

cwdjrxyz wrote:

>>> The quality of this cider comes as no surprise to me, since
>>> it comes from Hans Reisetbauer who is perhaps the best maker
>>> of eau-de-vie in Austria.

>> He's definitely one of the best eau-de-vie makers on this
>> planet. (Could one say "distillers"? That's what we would call
>> him in German: "Destillateur").

> Yes, distiller would be correct in English, and for Hans
> Reisetbauer it likely is more accurate. He also distills gin and
> whiskey which few English speakers would call eau-de-vie. The
> most unusual eau-de-vie from him that I have tasted is made from
> carrots. It tasted much better than I thought it would.

He started his destiller career the stadard way: making eaux-de-vie
from different kind of fruit (apples, pears, berries etc.). Later
he (and others) experimented with stranger products, e.g. carrots.

Btw., "Destillateur" in German sounds somehow bureaucratic, the
standard colloquial expression would be "Brenner", literally
"burner", somebody who "burns" (destills).

M.

TN: 2 Trocken Rieslings, + Burg, Collio, El Dorado DaleW Wine 0 26-03-2014 12:11 PM
REC: Apfel Kuchlein (Apple Fritters) Mike Muth General Cooking 0 08-04-2012 01:49 AM
Cuvee Dee Dovey Wine 1 10-01-2010 05:55 AM
Nigl Kremser Freiheit Gruner Veltliner Trocken 2006 cwdjrxyz Wine 1 18-02-2008 01:59 PM
TN: Schloss Schonborn 2002 Spatburgunder Trocken Walter L. Preuninger II Wine 1 24-01-2005 03:33 AM