Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Brief Notes From Jeebus (Offline) in Franklin Lakes, NJ

OK, so just let me start that probably from now on all NYC area
offlines will be held in restaurants. No one would risk hosting and
being Bentsened ("I'm been to a Bob Ross jeebus, Bob Ross is a friend
of mine, and host, you're no Bob Ross"). Bob's hospitality and
generosity were amazing. He offered up his incredible house (guest
bedrooms, couches, and floors were all utilized), provided transport
from airports and NYC, provided the majority of the wines (including
at a dinner Fri for those that arrived early), gave away wines as the
ultimate party favors, and was just a warm and genial host.

I'm not sure where to start. Jeff G came up by train to Dobbs
Saturday, I picked him up and we headed over Tappan Zee to NJ. We
arrived by 2, got the amazing house tour from Julia B, and then headed
to the kitchen /deck area, where the festivities centered (though
there was some treks to the cellar!). Great setting.

OK, food. We arrived to find nice spread of hummus, tapenade and the
like (Howie?). Salil had 2 huge bowls of chicken marinading, plus I
think four large sides (red bean curry, rice dishes, etc). I had
pickled shrimp as well as hanger steak in a bulgogi marinade ,
squid , and Japanese eggplant to grill (plus a peanut sauce).Tom V
brought some skewers with shrimp wrapped in sage and proscuitto,
enough garlic bread for 100, Italian pastries. Eden brought baklava,
Mark and Dianne great cheeses, Jeannette had made a cake. Oh and there
were sauasage rolls, - I should just stop, I could go on all day.

Wines- I'm sure there were a dozen I tried and never noted, and
another dozen I never got to. I wasn't taking notes, just occasionally
writing down wines, and even more occasionally a few words. But here
are my first thoughts:

My candidates for WOTN:
1997 Max. Grunhauser Abtsberg Auslese- wonderfully balanced, light but
with power, drinking very very well
1989 La Conseillante- elegant, powerful, about perfection for my
tastes in Pomerol, still young but oh so tasty
1947 Huet "Le Haut Lieu" Vouvray- typical darkl color, but fresh and
lively, complex and deep, even if I thought it a quarter step behind
the one other time I've tasted this wine.

Wines that did well in primaries, but didn't get WOTN nomination
1990 Pommery Cuvee Louise (mag)- full, bready, long, nutty edge to
finsh.
2008 Chidaine "Bouchet" Vouvray- zippy, well balanced, good match with
the pickled shrimp
2009 P. Cotat "Les Monts Damnes" Sancerre- ripe forward version,
tensile and minerally under the fruit, doesn't convince the SB haters
1986 Gruaud-Larose- full, friendly, tannins there but not obtrusive,
where's that platter of beef?
2001JJ Prum Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Auslese. Still young, but very very
good, I'd not put at level of the 97 Grunhauser (yet)

Wines I really enjoyed
1982 Cos d'Estournel
2010 Comm. de Bargemone Rose- light, flavorful, fun.
2007 Hexamer Spatlese- a bit broad, but delicious
1978 Burgess Cabernet Sauvignon- one of mine. I thought this a little
less fresh than a bottle a couple years ago, with a little ashtray on
finish, but still a nice bottle.
1998 Brovia Barolo
1973 Ch. Montelena (Sonoma-yes, Sonoma)- still holding well
*3 different Hart Cellars (Howie Hart is an amateur winemaker) wines,
all in the "I enjoyed a lot" category- a semi-dry Cayuga (by someone
who understands term semi-dry), an interesting barrel sample of CF/
Merlot blend, with a nice leafy quality, and a Pinot Gris that was
rather Alsatian in style

Wines with some interest
1995 Dal Forno Amarone- some loved, I found a bit overpowering, but
certainly an experience
1990 Eberle Cabernet Sauvignon (Paso Robles)- still holding on
1996 Hargrave Chardonnay Reserve (North Fork)- actually surprisingly
lively, but I don't think my style young or old
1999 Guigal Hermitage
2007 Redde Sancerre
2008 Le Sartre (Pessac-L) -grassy, grassy, grassy. Divisive wine I'd
say. '
1994 Rosenblum "Robert Story" Zinfandel
1995 Geantet-Pansiot Chambolle-Musigny 1er - very ripe, extracted, a
bit of oak still out there, others liked more

Wines with little interest
2000 Despres "Cuvee Speciale" Fleurie- hard to recognize as Gamay,
very ripe, I thought it was like a ripe CA PN, complete with a cherry
coke edge, though others disagreed
Barboursville Nebbiolo (everyone else seemed to like)
1993 Cline Zinfandel- I've liked a lot of Cline Zins before, but this
is now a goopy mess

Get this out of my glass, please
1985 Inglenook Charbono
1986 Ducru-Beaucaillou- helllllllooooooo, TCA

As good as the wine and food were, people were better. As memorable a
wine event as I've ever attended. I went with 4 bottles, came home
this AM with 5 (thanks Bob, Howie, David).
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 1, 1:04*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> 1995 Dal Forno Amarone- some loved, I found a bit overpowering, but
> certainly an experience

ok, so this was actually the 1995 Valpo

The Rosenblum was actually Richard Sauret Vineyard

The Barboursville was the 2002 Nebbiolo Reserve

Others I missed
Havens 1994 Merlot - pretty good still

Paumonok 2005 Petit Verdot, Apollo Drive Vineyard
structured, tight

Freedom Run 2010 Vin Gris (Niagra Escarpment)
nice rose

Il Poggione 2005 Brunello di Montalcino
Others loved, I thought ok

Ch. Musar 1998 Blanc
a bit oxidative, but interesting

Taurino 1990 Salice Salentino Riserva
Still alive

Tenuta San Guido 1993 VdT "Sassicaia"
Others liked more than I

Ch. Lynch-Bages 1985 Pauillac
Great nose, palate getting a tiny bit tired

Bonneau 1995 Chateauneuf-du-Pape "Cuvee Marie Beurrier"
Good

Bernard Machado 2006 Pinot Noir
not so good

1989 Pradeaux Bandl
other loved, I thought a little off

Few that I did not get to try:
Ch. Rayas 2000 Chateauneuf-du-Pape Reserve
P. Scavino 2001 Barolo
Tawse 2007 Pinot Noir "Grower's Blend"
KWV NV Full Tawny (South Africa)
Charles Baker 2008 Riesling "Stratus"
Fox Run 2005 Riesling "Tierce"
Martinelli 2004 Zinfandell, Jackass Vineyard