Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Mostly Alsace, plus Loire, Gaillac at a fun event

Last night we went to a Farm to Table dinner hosted by my friends Alex
and Fred. Fun night, nice crowd. Fred had a selection of mostly
natural wines, but I also carried some bonus bottles.

We were greeted with toasted raclette on baguette with cornichon, and
a glass of the NV Domaine des Plageoles "Nature" (Gaillac). Nice,
reminds me of a cross between artisanal apple cider and Champagne. I
had assumed the "nature" meant no dosage, but this had some definite
sweetness. B/B-

First course was a winter squash soup with creme fraiche, the red was
2008 Domaine du Mortier. Not sure of the appellation on this one- no
vintage on bottle (just cork), and it says Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil
in tiny letters on front. Maybe it's a St Nic, but I wondered if it
was a VdT and that was just winery address. In any case light framed
Cab Franc, raspberry/cranberry with a weedy edge, and a bit of brett.
*B-

Main course was Choucroute garnie a l'Alsacienne.

2008 Binner "Les Saveurs"- Edelswicker style blend. Light, floral,
with a bit of tropical fruit and litchi. B/B-

2007 Binner "Ammerschwihr" Riesling
A bit cloudy, rich with citrus and peach fruit, a little petrol and
slate. B

2007 Leon Beyer Riesling
There was a lone bottle of this, and maybe it had been opened
previously, because it had a real oxidative edge. Apple peels, apple,
dry finish. If this is the wine, C/C+

1999 Trimbach "Cuvee Frederic Emile" Riesling
This showed quite well. Lime and grapefruit, apple, some petrol. Nice
mouthfeel, excellent length. I wish a recent '99 CSH has showed this
nicely! A-

Dessert was tarte tatin, and I opened a 2002 Chidaine Montlouis
Moelleux. Not that much sweeter than average demi-sec, good acidity,
extraordinarily popular, but I was slightly disappointed, as it seems
a bit simple and foursquare. Tasty? yes. Complex? No. B-

Fun night.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

TN: Bdx, Burgs, Loire, and Alsace DaleW Wine 0 13-02-2012 06:22 PM
TN: Loire, Alsace, and a pink Wachau DaleW Wine 0 30-10-2010 11:33 PM
TN: Alsace white, Loire red DaleW Wine 0 13-03-2009 11:38 PM
TN: Bday wines- Bdx, Burg, Loire, Alsace DaleW Wine 11 08-10-2008 10:31 PM
TN: Alsace, Pfalz, Loire, Brazil DaleW Wine 3 17-02-2008 05:48 PM