Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Greek wines + seafood = Happy Dale

OK, a confession. I'm well aware that there are some good and great
wines coming out of Greece, but my experience is extremely limited. If
I go to a good Greek restaurant I'll order one, but my knowledge of
producers is extremely limited, and if asked to name grapes I'd be
stuck after Xenomavro, Assyrtiko, and St George. So I was pretty
excited when Mark invited me to join a crew tasting the wines of
Estate Gerovassiliou at Milos last night.

About 20 people, in an enclosed private room overlooking the
attractive dining room (which was packed on a Tuesday night).
Evangelos Gerovassiliou was there to present his wines, accompanied by
his wife and daughters. An informative and delicious meal, with Milos
proving why it is considered one of the absolute top seafood
restaurants in New York. Evangelos (who studied and worked with Emile
Peynaud) was introduced, and gave a quick history of the winery (after
studying at the Universite of Bordeaux, he returned to Greece, planted
new vineyards, and started the winery in mid-80s).

After a refreshing glass of water (it was steamy outside), we had a
glass of a 2008 Gerovassiliou white, a blend of Malagousia and
Assyrtiko. Melon, herbs, floral, very nice though for my tastes could
use a bit more acidity. B

As we sat, some trays of beautiful oysters arrived, with a rather
delicate mignonette. There was also some toasted bread with fantastic
olive oil. The first course followed, great presentations of salmon
sashimi, white fish sashimi (I didn't catch the name of the fish,
Portugese I believe, but fantastic and great looking- once sliced they
"recreated" body and presented between tail and head), and Tunisan
octopus.

2008 Gerovassiliou Malagousia
(apparently a variety that Mr. Gerovassiliou saved from extinction)/
Floral, round fruit, some mineral on finish. Good length. B

2008 Biblia Chora "Areti"
Assyrtiko. Biblia Chora is a winery where Mr. Gerovassiliou is a
partner. Crisp and sharp, citrusy, less depth than the Malagousia but
clean and an attractive food wine. B

Next course included a tomato/feta/cuke salad (my first truly great
tomato of the year), calamari, and maybe the best crab cake (well,
crab ball) I've ever tasted.

2008 Gerovassiliou Viognier
I think others liked a bit more than I did. I'm just not a big
Viognier fan- this was tropical, soft, floral, a little oak- some
loved but didn't ring my bells. B-

2008 Biblia Chora "Ovilos"
A blend of Assyrtiko and Semillon, I believe barrel fermented and aged
in oak. I wouldn't have predicted this as my WOTN, but it was. Big,
rich, like a top tier white Bordeaux decided to retire to Greeece.
Some oak, but on top of a classy balanced base. A-'

Next course, lavraki (aka branzino) baked in a salt crust. They
paraded it around before cracking it open, I have to say one of the
best baked white fish dishes I've ever tasted (served with asparagus)

2008 Gerovassiliou Chardonnay
Big, ripe, a little hot- I thought clumsy and oaky next to its
flightmates, but maybe just needs time. But for me this night, B-/C+

2006 Gerovassiliou Chardonnay
I liked this much better. Less apparent alcohol, some oak but
integrated, more toast and butterscotch than vanilla. Somewhat exotic
nose, that Craig compares to Coche Drury. Very nice, my fave of the
flight (each wine had a champion). A-/B+

2003 Gerovassiliou Chardonnay
I'm always a bit skeptical of 2003 European whites, but this was
really nice. A little heat showing, but oak is well integrated and the
fruit is still vibrant. Impressive showing. B+

Next up prime Ribeye, roasted vegetables, and serious fries

2001 Gerovassiliou Estate Red
Syrah with a little Merlot and Grenache. Ripe attractive nose with a
little VA, red fruits, smoked meat, earth, oak. On the palate there's
a sharp/prickly note that detracts a bit, B

2000 Gerovassiliou Estate Red
Initially my least favorite of the 3, showing oaky and soft, but this
really improved with air. Dark berries, damp earth, smoke. Medium
bodied. B/B+

1996 Gerovassiliou Estate Red
Soft, meaty, with earth and cedar. Fully mature, but not tired. B/B+

Some nice Greek cheeses, with

2005 Gerovassiliou "Avaton"
Limnio/Mavroudi/Mavrotragano. My favorite red- rich dark fruit,
pepper, herbs, long and deep. B+/A-

2005 Katsaros Estate Red
Cabernet/Merlot. Perfectly acceptable New World styled blend,
dominated by oak and red fruit, low acids, some tannins. B-

What a fun night. Thanks to Mark Golodetz and Anne Riives who
organized, the Gerovassiliou family for hosting, the owners and staff
of Milos for an extraordinary evening, and the participants for great
conversation. When I described the meal I had to promise Betsy I'd
take her to Milos soon. I'd happily taste any of these wines, and am
actively looking for several. While I was especially happy to taste
some native grapes, I'll admit some of the imports were impressive.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 14, 10:41*am, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> Cabernet/Merlot. Perfectly acceptable New World styled blend,
> dominated by oak and red fruit, low acids, some tannins. B-
>
> What a fun night. Thanks to Mark Golodetz and Anne Riives who
> organized, the Gerovassiliou family for hosting, the owners and staff
> of Milos for an extraordinary evening, and the participants for great
> conversation. When I described the meal I had to promise Betsy I'd
> take her to Milos soon. I'd happily taste any of these wines, and am
> actively looking for several. While I was especially happy to taste
> some native grapes, I'll admit some of the imports were impressive.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

oops, left off a rather important detail - the estate is in Macedonia,
in a town called Epanomi.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> What a fun night. Thanks to Mark Golodetz and Anne Riives who
>> organized, the Gerovassiliou family for hosting, the owners and staff
>> of Milos for an extraordinary evening, and the participants for great
>> conversation. When I described the meal I had to promise Betsy I'd
>> take her to Milos soon. I'd happily taste any of these wines, and am
>> actively looking for several. While I was especially happy to taste
>> some native grapes, I'll admit some of the imports were impressive.
>>
>> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
>> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
>> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
>> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> oops, left off a rather important detail - the estate is in Macedonia,

Very nice notes, Dale, as always.

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 14, 10:41*am, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> Cabernet/Merlot. Perfectly acceptable New World styled blend,
> dominated by oak and red fruit, low acids, some tannins. B-
>
> What a fun night. Thanks to Mark Golodetz and Anne Riives who
> organized, the Gerovassiliou family for hosting, the owners and staff
> of Milos for an extraordinary evening, and the participants for great
> conversation. When I described the meal I had to promise Betsy I'd
> take her to Milos soon. I'd happily taste any of these wines, and am
> actively looking for several. While I was especially happy to taste
> some native grapes, I'll admit some of the imports were impressive.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Thanks for the notes....I could never have kept all of the Greek names
straight..even with pad and pen.....and my brother in law is Greek!
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> What a fun night. Thanks to Mark Golodetz and Anne Riives who
>> organized, the Gerovassiliou family for hosting, the owners and staff
>> of Milos for an extraordinary evening, and the participants for great
>> conversation. When I described the meal I had to promise Betsy I'd
>> take her to Milos soon. I'd happily taste any of these wines, and am
>> actively looking for several. While I was especially happy to taste
>> some native grapes, I'll admit some of the imports were impressive.
>>
>> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
>> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
>> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
>> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> oops, left off a rather important detail - the estate is in Macedonia,

I was going to joke that it was in Bulgaria, but after checking the
map, see that it is south of Thessaloniki, so no.
Interesting if the Mavroudi grape in your favorite wine is related to
the Bulgarian Mavrud - there's no definite answer online. It very well
may be coming from common stock, from the time when all that was Turkish
territory. In any event, the best wine I've ever had, was a Bulgarian
Mavrud.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
--

Happy Greek Easter! sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 05-05-2013 08:29 PM
Dale turns 50, many wines are opened (long) DaleW Wine 12 05-10-2010 02:55 PM
Greek wines Kirk Wine 1 29-09-2005 09:01 PM
TN, in which Dale loves 2 California wines Dale Williams Wine 0 19-01-2004 04:18 PM