Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Blue Hill TNs and two others

We hadn't been to this favourite restaurant for a few years, but it's
still great (even if slightly downhill - the amuses especially seemed
production-line and rather bland); and the wine list and sommelier,
Thomas, are fabulous. The two highlight wines of the evening were a
2001 López de Heredia Viña Bosconia Reserva and a 1989 Weingut Ehrhard
Riesling 'Rüdesheimer Berg Roseneck'; the latter was regal in its age,
with faded petrol, calcium and honey all oxisied pleasantly. The LdH
blew us both away in terms of complexity and intensity but complete
absence of harsh tannins or overly-forward fruit; I can see how this
would age well and am eagerly anticipating finding out (see previous
post!). We had 6 glasses across the evening, all by the glass, and
all were either good or excellent; highly recommended.

On several occasions I have sung the praises of Virginia wines here;
we had an example last week that would be an excellent introduction
for anyone who has not had the complex, structured, top-end wines
coming out of VA these days. 2007 Glen Manor 'Hodder Hill' is a Cab
Sauv/Merlot/Petit Verdot/Cab Franc blend, unfiltered - which showed,
well - and while it is a little rougher than e.g. the LdH, it had
several layers of flavour and a long, smooth finish, very enjoyable:
cherries, tobacco, leather.

Finally, a recent closeout had 1997 Olson vineyard Rabbit Ridge Zin @
$10, which is less than it cost on release. '97 RR Zin was one of the
very first wines that made me realise wine was worth thinking about,
so this was an absolute delight to find, and it turns out on opening
one last week that it's as good as ever or better: still the grainy
raisin that I remember but now less fierce heat on first taste and
with smooth caramel to finish. Yum yum!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 26, 3:10*pm, Ewan > wrote:
> We hadn't been to this favourite restaurant for a few years, but it's
> still great (even if slightly downhill - the amuses especially seemed
> production-line and rather bland); and the wine list and sommelier,
> Thomas, are fabulous. *The two highlight wines of the evening were a
> 2001 López de Heredia Viña Bosconia Reserva and a 1989 Weingut Ehrhard
> Riesling 'Rüdesheimer Berg Roseneck'; the latter was regal in its age,
> with faded petrol, calcium and honey all oxisied pleasantly. *The LdH
> blew us both away in terms of complexity and intensity but complete
> absence of harsh tannins or overly-forward fruit; I can see how this
> would age well and am eagerly anticipating finding out (see previous
> post!). *We had 6 glasses across the evening, all by the glass, and
> all were either good or excellent; highly recommended.
>
> On several occasions I have sung the praises of Virginia wines here;
> we had an example last week that would be an excellent introduction
> for anyone who has not had the complex, structured, top-end wines
> coming out of VA these days. *2007 Glen Manor 'Hodder Hill' is a Cab
> Sauv/Merlot/Petit Verdot/Cab Franc blend, unfiltered - which showed,
> well - and while it is a little rougher than e.g. the LdH, it had
> several layers of flavour and a long, smooth finish, very enjoyable:
> cherries, tobacco, leather.
>
> Finally, a recent closeout had 1997 Olson vineyard Rabbit Ridge Zin @
> $10, which is less than it cost on release. *'97 RR Zin was one of the
> very first wines that made me realise wine was worth thinking about,
> so this was an absolute delight to find, and it turns out on opening
> one last week that it's as good as ever or better: still the grainy
> raisin that I remember but now less fierce heat on first taste and
> with smooth caramel to finish. *Yum yum!

Blue Hill at Stone Barns, not the city, correct?
I've heard good things re the 2001 LdHs.
Thanks for notes
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 27, 10:03*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Jun 26, 3:10*pm, Ewan > wrote:
>
> Blue Hill at Stone Barns, not the city, correct?

Correct. Never been to the city sibling.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bosconia Reserva 2001 is a lovely wine, and I do not see why it should not
keep well, as LdH wines always do. At the same time, tannins are so mellow
that is a great drinking right now.

My only concern is that a friend purchased a case upon my advise, and all
the bottles in his case (6 bottles case) were corked!

s.