Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Urban UCO

A recent browsing at Costco's wine section left me with few choices which
were within my present limited budget. One item caught my eye. Was it a
high numerical rating by one of the wine gurus? Or was it just the single
digit price tag? I don't really remember.

Last night, I broke out some of the freezer's stock of veal cutlets,
pounded them a bit, soaked some fine Porcini dried mushrooms and added
them plus their strained liquor to the remnants of a previous day's
Marinara. The cutlets were placed in a Paella pan and covered with the
sauce. A half hour later, plated with Basmati rice and Petit Pois au
beurre, Ambrosia reigned on the heated plates.

I wish that I could say the same for the Urban UCO 2008, which I sampled
at three half hour intervals of breathing. It was a Malbec/Tempranillo
blend. There have been some straight Tempranillos that I have truly
enjoyed, but I cannot recall any positive experiences with Malbec. There
is a certain grassy and funky overtone that predominates. Perhaps there
are some fine examples of wine made with Malbec in Argentina.
This was not one of them. On the Davis 20 scale: 14

Godzilla
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 28, 8:29*am, Godzilla Lizard > wrote:
> A recent browsing at Costco's wine section left me with few choices which
> were within my present limited budget. One item caught my eye. Was it a
> high numerical rating by one of the wine gurus? Or was it just the single
> digit price tag? I don't really remember.
>
> Last night, I broke out some of the freezer's stock of veal cutlets,
> pounded them a bit, soaked some fine Porcini dried mushrooms and added
> them plus their strained liquor to the remnants of a previous day's
> Marinara. The cutlets were placed in a Paella pan and covered with the
> sauce. A half hour later, plated with Basmati rice and Petit Pois au
> beurre, Ambrosia reigned on the heated plates.
>
> I wish that I could say the same for the Urban UCO 2008, which I sampled
> at three half hour intervals of breathing. It was a Malbec/Tempranillo
> blend. There have been some straight Tempranillos that I have truly
> enjoyed, but I cannot recall any positive experiences with Malbec. There
> is a certain grassy and funky overtone that predominates. Perhaps there
> are some fine examples of wine made with Malbec in Argentina.
> This was not one of them. On the Davis 20 scale: 14
>
> Godzilla

Well, the food sounds good!
My take on the 2006 from 18 months ago
2006 Urban Uco Malbec-Tempranillo (Argentina)
No offense to my host, but this was dreadful wine. Jammy yet with a
harsh acidity, oak chippy, sharp raspberries and blackberries with a
weird almost chemically note. This seemed to go down fine with
everyone else, but I used the sushi as excuse to dump the red. C-

I did have an Urban Torrontes I thought was ok
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 28, 8:29*am, Godzilla Lizard > wrote:
> A recent browsing at Costco's wine section left me with few choices which
> were within my present limited budget. One item caught my eye. Was it a
> high numerical rating by one of the wine gurus? Or was it just the single
> digit price tag? I don't really remember.
>
> Last night, I broke out some of the freezer's stock of veal cutlets,
> pounded them a bit, soaked some fine Porcini dried mushrooms and added
> them plus their strained liquor to the remnants of a previous day's
> Marinara. The cutlets were placed in a Paella pan and covered with the
> sauce. A half hour later, plated with Basmati rice and Petit Pois au
> beurre, Ambrosia reigned on the heated plates.
>
> I wish that I could say the same for the Urban UCO 2008, which I sampled
> at three half hour intervals of breathing. It was a Malbec/Tempranillo
> blend. There have been some straight Tempranillos that I have truly
> enjoyed, but I cannot recall any positive experiences with Malbec. There
> is a certain grassy and funky overtone that predominates. Perhaps there
> are some fine examples of wine made with Malbec in Argentina.
> This was not one of them. On the Davis 20 scale: 14
>
> Godzilla

The veal sound great and this is pea season isn't it! Too bad about
the wine.