Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN 2 more 1971s: Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese and EitelsbacherKarthausershofberger BA

Both wines had been stored properly since shortly after release, had
high fills, and had no cork or other issues.

The Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese 1971, Reichgraf von Kesselstat,
A.P. Nr. 3561 077-9-73 was a bright medium yellow in color. It had a
bit of old Riesling petrol character. The fruit and bouquet were
fairly intense and complex with traces of mineral and citric
character. Although this is a very good 1971 auslese that is still
holding very well, it was not in the class of the 1971 Wehlener
Sonnenuhr long gold capsule from J.J. Prum - but that hardly is a fair
comparison.

The Eitelsbacher Karthausershofberger Beerenauslese 1971 (Werner
Tyrell), A.P. Nr. 3561 303/14/72, was intense gold in color and had
extreme intensity of bouquet and taste. There was a bit of old
Riesling petrol character. The fruit was a very complex mixture of
white fruits. The bouquet had hints of honey, flowers, and herbs.
There was a bit of mineral character. The wine has great sweetness,
but it is well balanced by acid and intense bouquet and taste. Ruwers
sometimes are described as light and delicate, but there is nothing
light or delicate about this wine. Tasted blind, I likely would agree
with you if you said it was a TBA.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 12, 2:03*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> Both wines had been stored properly since shortly after release, had
> high fills, and had no cork or other issues.
>
> The Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese 1971, Reichgraf *von Kesselstat,
> A.P. Nr. 3561 077-9-73 was a bright medium yellow in color. It had a
> bit of old Riesling petrol character. The fruit and bouquet were
> fairly intense and complex with traces of mineral and citric
> character. Although this is a very good 1971 auslese that is still
> holding very well, it was not in the class of the 1971 Wehlener
> Sonnenuhr long gold capsule from J.J. Prum - but that hardly is a fair
> comparison.
>
> The Eitelsbacher Karthausershofberger Beerenauslese 1971 (Werner
> Tyrell), A.P. Nr. 3561 303/14/72, was intense gold in color and had
> extreme intensity of bouquet and taste. There was a bit of old
> Riesling petrol character. The fruit was a very complex mixture of
> white fruits. The bouquet had hints of honey, flowers, and herbs.
> There was a bit of mineral character. The wine has great sweetness,
> but it is well balanced by acid and intense bouquet and taste. Ruwers
> sometimes are described as light and delicate, but there is nothing
> light or delicate about this wine. Tasted blind, I likely would agree
> with you if you said it was a TBA.

Thanks as always for notes. Tyrell is new producer to me.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 12, 12:09*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2:03*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
>

> > Both wines had been stored properly since shortly after release, had
> > high fills, and had no cork or other issues.

> > The Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese 1971, Reichgraf *von Kesselstat,
> > A.P. Nr. 3561 077-9-73 was a bright medium yellow in color. It had a
> > bit of old Riesling petrol character. The fruit and bouquet were
> > fairly intense and complex with traces of mineral and citric
> > character. Although this is a very good 1971 auslese that is still
> > holding very well, it was not in the class of the 1971 Wehlener
> > Sonnenuhr long gold capsule from J.J. Prum - but that hardly is a fair
> > comparison.

> > The Eitelsbacher Karthausershofberger Beerenauslese 1971 (Werner
> > Tyrell), A.P. Nr. 3561 303/14/72, was intense gold in color and had
> > extreme intensity of bouquet and taste. There was a bit of old
> > Riesling petrol character. The fruit was a very complex mixture of
> > white fruits. The bouquet had hints of honey, flowers, and herbs.
> > There was a bit of mineral character. The wine has great sweetness,
> > but it is well balanced by acid and intense bouquet and taste. Ruwers
> > sometimes are described as light and delicate, but there is nothing
> > light or delicate about this wine. Tasted blind, I likely would agree
> > with you if you said it was a TBA.

> Thanks as always for notes. Tyrell is new producer to me

Eitelsbacher Karthausershofberger is a monopoly site of the Tyrell
family. Thus, unless the estate has changed hands since about 1998
when my reference book was published, all of this wine is from the
Tyrell family, and often people do not bother to list the owner just
as in the case of Schloss Johannisberger. Werner Tyrell was listed on
the label of my wine. I don't know if Werner Tyrell is still alive and
active in the business of the estate.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/12/10 1:28 PM, cwdjrxyz wrote:

> Eitelsbacher Karthausershofberger is a monopoly site of the Tyrell
> family. Thus, unless the estate has changed hands since about 1998
> when my reference book was published, all of this wine is from the
> Tyrell family, and often people do not bother to list the owner just
> as in the case of Schloss Johannisberger. Werner Tyrell was listed on
> the label of my wine. I don't know if Werner Tyrell is still alive and
> active in the business of the estate.

It is still in the Tyrell family, but has been run by Werner's son
Christoph since 1986. I don't know if Werner is still alive and active
or not. More information can be had he

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/germany...auserhof.shtml

BTW, they also run a B&B at their estate:

http://www.karthaeuserhof-tyrell.de/

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding
> It is still in the Tyrell family, but has been run by Werner's son
> Christoph since 1986. I don't know if Werner is still alive and active or
> not. More information can be had he
>
> http://www.thewinedoctor.com/germany...auserhof.shtml

What is less well known today is that Werner Tyrell had to step down as
honorary president of the German Winemakers association and that the estate
was expelled from VDP for a few years, due to his part in the wine forgeries
scandals of the 1970'ies (illegal adding of sugars). Over 2000 wineries
were involved with these unlawful practices during that time...

And this is why Christoph took over - to save the estate - and he did a good
job. (I seem to recall that he is/was a lawyer by profession)

I've had the feeling, however, that the quality has suffered somewhat
lately. 2002 and 2003 were uniformly good, later vintages more uneven.

Anders

TN Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese 1971, Kesselstadt cwdjrxyz Wine 0 29-05-2006 02:53 AM
TN: '98 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldropfchen Kabinett Jaybert41 Wine 0 17-10-2004 01:59 AM
TN Serriger Vogelsang Auslese 1976 Cwdjrx _ Wine 2 16-08-2004 04:26 PM
piesporter Weez Winemaking 1 01-05-2004 01:01 PM
Riesling, Piesporter, Michelsbrg, Germany Karl \(JIM\) Reich Wine 4 09-01-2004 10:07 PM