Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Not really TNs- a few impressions from a benefit

I needed to run a couple errands in the city tonight, plus drop off
some wine to Oswaldo and pick up some wine from Chambers St. Since
Chambers St and Louis Dressner were co-sponsoring a Haiti benefit
tasting, I decided to add that in. A little slow when I first arrived,
but it seemed to be picking up steam, and I imagine they raised quite
a bit of money for the excellent Partners in Health. I've already
gotten confirmation from PIH, so kudos to the staff at CSW and Joe
Dressner for a job well done (my first time meeting the legendary/
infamous Mr. Dressner).

A nice lineup of over a dozen wines. No real notes but a few
impressions:

My favorites:
NV Casa Costepiane Prosecco (from magnum)
First wine I tried, and I quite liked, refreshing, fruity, lively.
Would be fun to get a couple magnums for parties.
2008 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr "Rotlay" Spatlese
I really like these single plot 08 S-O
2007 Descombes Chiroubles VV
Pretty, fresh, great fruit
2007 Gonon St Joseph
Young, spicy, long.
2005 ESJ "Wylie Fenaughty" Syrah
A bit bigger, but similar spice

I liked
NV Gimonnet Champagne Culs Brut
Dry & minerally (but I preferred the prosecco)
2009 Pepiere Muscadet
Joe Dressner said this was an early bottling, and implied later
bottlings might be better. But I liked this, maybe not as rich as some
vintages, but light and tasty
2007 Heinrich Mayr Nusserhof Elda Schiava
No notes, just check plus
2008 Tajinaste Valle de la Orotava Listan Negro
Not sure what is what in that name, but I think Orotava is one of the
Canary Islands if I heard correctly. A little animal, but good

I kinda liked
2005 Peillot Roussette du Bugey Montagnieu Altesse
Nice flavors, but a bit soft/round (which was not my expectation)
2007 Clemens Busch Pundericher Marienburg Falkenlay
A bit more austere than my preferences, maybe food would help
2007 Diochon Moulin-A-Vent (mag)
2008 Bermejo Lanzarote Listan Negro

I didn't like so much
2005 Gerard Schueller Gewurztraminer Bildstoeckle
Gewurz afficianados might like more, but for me the flavors were a bit
over the top with a chemical edge
There was one other wine (something like Treinto im Malvasia) that I
didn't care for.

I got my errands done, wine delivered, wine picked up, a couple other
bottles bought (including a tasty Bart Marsannay white I'm sipping
now), and sent a little money where it would do more good than yet
more wine for me. Good job by Chambers St and Louis Dressner, as well
as David Bowler, Kermit Lynch, Michael Skurnik, Douglas Polaner all of
whom made contributions.