Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '07 Ridge 3 Valleys, etc.

While out on our recent West Coast swing, we picked up a few
ready-to-drink wines and, unsurprisingly, drank them at various occasions.

Tonight, opened with a light dinner of carrot soup, Mimolette cheese and
bread, we had:

2007 Ridge "Three Valleys" Zinfandel (76% Zin)
nose: "Draper perfume," berries
palate: rich, deeply fruited, moderately acidic

I picked this wine up after reading positive reports on the '07 Ridge
portfolio on the Internet, including Old TomHill's statement that the
'07 3 Valleys was the best version yet. Indeed, it is noticeably less
oaky (though still clearly oaked) and has more of an emphasis on fruit.
Still, it is less clearly delineated than we prefer and will take
several years to integrate all that oak. Enjoyable, but nothing that
I'd seek out.

2006 Joseph Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune ($22)
nose: light, bright strawberry fruit, minerals
palate: very light and thin initially, later fleshing out somewhat;
brightly acidic

Very interesting rendition of Pinot Noir that veers to the lighter side
of the spectrum. After an hour of air, it had taken on some flesh, but
at all times was pleasureable and good with our food (braised shi'itakes
with Chinese broccoli in oyster sauce and twice cooked pork).

2007 Chehalem INOX Chardonnay
nose: lightly appley
palate: dilute, crisply acidic

Over the years, I have been ambivalent about this wine. This year's
edition seemed underfruited to me and inoffensive but not very interesting.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '07 Ridge 3 Valleys, etc.

On Jan 5, 12:21�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> While out on our recent West Coast swing, we picked up a few
> ready-to-drink wines and, unsurprisingly, drank them at various occasions..
>
> Tonight, opened with a light dinner of carrot soup, Mimolette cheese and
> bread, we had:
>
> 2007 Ridge "Three Valleys" Zinfandel (76% Zin)
> nose: "Draper perfume," berries
> palate: rich, deeply fruited, moderately acidic
>
> I picked this wine up after reading positive reports on the '07 Ridge
> portfolio on the Internet, including Old TomHill's statement that the
> '07 3 Valleys was the best version yet. �Indeed, it is noticeably less
> oaky (though still clearly oaked) and has more of an emphasis on fruit.
> Still, it is less clearly delineated than we prefer and will take
> several years to integrate all that oak. �Enjoyable, but nothing that
> I'd seek out.
>
> 2006 Joseph Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune ($22)
> nose: light, bright strawberry fruit, minerals
> palate: very light and thin initially, later fleshing out somewhat;
> brightly acidic
>
> Very interesting rendition of Pinot Noir that veers to the lighter side
> of the spectrum. �After an hour of air, it had taken on some flesh, but
> at all times was pleasureable and good with our food (braised shi'itakes
> with Chinese broccoli in oyster sauce and twice cooked pork).
>
> 2007 Chehalem INOX Chardonnay
> nose: lightly appley
> palate: dilute, crisply acidic
>
> Over the years, I have been ambivalent about this wine. �This year's
> edition seemed underfruited to me and inoffensive but not very interesting.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I'm finding that most 2006 red Burgs are showing the same acidity and
lightness that you find in the Drouhin. It's not so much that the
wines are thin, but that they are quite delicate and with the high
toned acidity it initially fives the impression of weakness of the
fruit. I find that a little air time allows the fruit to gain some
footing and balance the acidity a bit.