Leo Bueno

Default Do agglomerated corks pose health risk?

http://highwire.stanford.edu/cgi/medline/pmid;15382863

Medline Abstract

GB Jiang, JY Liu, and QF Zhou
Search for the contamination source of butyltin compounds in wine:
agglomerated cork stoppers.
Environ Sci Technol, August 15, 2004; 38(16): 4349-52.

Key Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Research
Center for Eco-Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences,
Beijing, 100085, China.

A possible butyltin contamination source in wine was studied in this
paper. Agglomerated cork stoppers, which were produced in Portugal,
Spain, and Italy, used in wine bottles were examined. The domestic
cork products, cork granules, and mucus used for cork products were
also analyzed. The levels of mono- and dibutyltin compounds in corks
were found in the range from <0.0024 to 3.3 and from <0.0029 to 6.7
microg of Sn/g, respectively. A low level of tributyltin contamination
was also found in 2 of 31 tested samples. The presence of butyltin
compounds in agglomerated cork stoppers was confirmed by GC-MS.
Experimental results indicated that all overseas agglomerated cork
stoppers studied contained mono- and/or dibutyltins. Butyltins were
not detected in cork granules, mucus, most of the natural cork
stoppers, and domestic agglomerated cork products. The concentrations
of mono- and dibutyltins increased with the time in a 30-day
experiment, showing that butyltin compounds can leach from
agglomerated cork to the wine. When the butyltin concentrations in
wine samples were compared with their levels in the corresponding
agglomerated cork stoppers, a correlation was found. The potential
harm of such food contamination was evaluated by the toxic research of
butyltin compounds using Daphnia sp. as the experimental model.

Leo Bueno

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Environ Res. 2002 Feb;88(2):129-33.

Butyltin compounds in human liver.

Nielsen JB, Strand J.

Institute of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, Odense C,
DK-5000, Denmark.

Intake of marine food is the main source of butyltin exposure in
humans. Health effects following exposure to butyltin compounds are
usually in the immune system, but endocrine effects of butyltin from a
variety of marine species have been documented. The information on
human exposure to butyltin compounds and hepatic deposition is
limited. The present study include 18 consecutively sampled human
livers analyzed for butyltin compounds. Dibutyltin (DBT)
concentrations varied between 0.8 and 28.3 ng/g with a mean
concentration of 9.0 ng/g. Significantly lower concentrations of
monobutyltin (MBT) were observed, ranging from 0.3 to 4.7 ng/g with a
mean value of 1.6 ng/g. Age and DBT/MBT ratio were significantly
associated. We suggest that younger men have more recent exposures or
have a lower capacity to debutylate DBT than older men and would
therefore potentially be more susceptible to butyltin toxicity. Given
the interperson variability observed in our limited group of men, we
cannot exclude that thresholds for either immunotoxicity or effects on
the endocrine system may occur due to exposure to butyltin compounds
alone or in combination with other environmental toxicants with
similar target organs.

PMID: 11908938 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:22:28 GMT, Leo Bueno