Robbienorth

Default What should i get?

I'm new to the wine world and have begun my journey with an afiniti for
merlot wines. If you can suggest another good red I'm open but i like teh
smoothness of the merlots.
I'm wondering if you could suggest the best options under 30$ that I can
get my hands on in the GTA???
any help would be appreciated.

st.helier

GTA?
DUOA
MBACT!
STFOB!

Greater Toronto Area?
Dumb Use Of Abbreviations
Must Be A Canadian Thing!
Sort This Fellow Out Bill [Spohn]

st.helier

GTA?
DUOA
MBACT!
STFOB!

Greater Toronto Area?
Dumb Use Of Abbreviations
Must Be A Canadian Thing!
Sort This Fellow Out Bill [Spohn]

Ron Lel

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> GTA?
> DUOA
> MBACT!
> STFOB!

Wtf is that all about. IATC. (I am totally clueless)

Ron Lel

> Greater Toronto Area?
> Dumb Use Of Abbreviations
> Must Be A Canadian Thing!
> Sort This Fellow Out Bill [Spohn]

Al Rudderham

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:37:41 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>GTA?

Greater Toronto Area. The joke in "The Rest of Canada" is that
Toronto regards itself as "The Centre of the Universe". Robbie shows
us why... :-)

Robbie, even the smallest LCBO will have a decent selection of Aussie
Shiraz, and most will be well under $20. As somebody else suggest,
they tend to exhibit that smoothness quality you like.

If you pick an LCBO store with a Vintages section, try asking the
product consultant for advice. I've found them to be very
knowledgeable and very willing to help. I've noticed that at the
store I frequent people will grab a cart and then follow the
consultant around picking up a few bottles of whatever he recommends.

--
Remove preceding and trailing X from username for replies
(Sorry, but I'm SICK of spam...)
Uranium Committee

"Robbienorth" > wrote in message m>...
> I'm new to the wine world and have begun my journey with an afiniti for
> merlot wines. If you can suggest another good red I'm open but i like teh
> smoothness of the merlots.
> I'm wondering if you could suggest the best options under 30$ that I can
> get my hands on in the GTA???
> any help would be appreciated.

Dolcetto is a very smooth, appealing wine similar in body to Merlot
but with a more appealing palate. Made in Piedmont, Italy. Prices
range from about $10 to $25. Dolcetto has 7 sub-varieties, the
commonest of which are d'Asti and d'Alba. The biggest and boldest is
the Dolcetto di Dogliani, fine examples of which are made by
Chionetti.

http://www.internationalrecipesonlin...ionary.pl?2308
Chuck Reid

Greetings Robbie;
If you have a car I strongly suggest you take a few weekends from the GTA to
cruise the Niagara Wine Route and go taste the Canadian Merlots available
right under your nose from dozens of Niagara wineries. You'll learn a lot
and have a great time to boot.
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

"Robbienorth" > wrote in message
> I'm new to the wine world and have begun my journey with an afiniti for
> merlot wines. If you can suggest another good red I'm open but i like teh
> smoothness of the merlots.
> I'm wondering if you could suggest the best options under 30$ that I can
> get my hands on in the GTA???
> any help would be appreciated.

Hunt

In article <1096605497.722250@ftpsrv1>, says...

>GTA?
>DUOA
>MBACT!
>STFOB!

>Greater Toronto Area?
>Dumb Use Of Abbreviations
>Must Be A Canadian Thing!
>Sort This Fellow Out Bill [Spohn]

Thanks for the clarification. I assumed that it was a geographical reference
and saw the CA (as in Canada, my neighbor to the North, not CA the state that
a lot of my wines come from), but did not make the connection. Since I have no
idea of what wines are imported to GTA, my suggestions may have been way, way
off base. Sorry for that.

Hunt

Hunt

In article >, xal.
says...

>On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:37:41 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:
>
>>GTA?

>Greater Toronto Area. The joke in "The Rest of Canada" is that
>Toronto regards itself as "The Centre of the Universe". Robbie shows
>us why... :-)
>
>Robbie, even the smallest LCBO will have a decent selection of Aussie
>Shiraz, and most will be well under $20. As somebody else suggest,
>they tend to exhibit that smoothness quality you like.
>
>If you pick an LCBO store with a Vintages section, try asking the
>product consultant for advice. I've found them to be very
>knowledgeable and very willing to help. I've noticed that at the
>store I frequent people will grab a cart and then follow the
>consultant around picking up a few bottles of whatever he recommends.
>
>--
>Remove preceding and trailing X from username for replies
>(Sorry, but I'm SICK of spam...)

For my education, how common are California Zins and Syrahs in Canada, through
LCBO, which is, I assume, the national distribution/sales arm of Canada's
version of ATF, or similar? In US, some states have stores that have a limited
list of wines for sale, so state controlled liquor stores all have about the
same line up. Is this true in CA (the country)? I've noticed some subscribers,
primarily in the BC area, mentioning that they do not have access to some of
the wines talked about in the group. Are there different levels of stores, as
you mentioned "Vintages section?"

Thanks for the info.

Inquiring [SIC] minds want to know,
Hunt

Chuck Reid

Actually we have quite a wide range of wines from the Niagara area although
the hybrids are falling by the wayside. Foreigners usually only get icewine
samples because they are bloody high margin stuff and somewhat of a global
rarity. Although our wines have made and are still making giant strides in
quality, I don't think it's economic to try and export more of the same to
countries already drowning in a sea of their own making.
--

"Hunt" > wrote in message
> In article >,

says

> >Greetings Robbie;
> >If you have a car I strongly suggest you take a few weekends from the GTA

> >cruise the Niagara Wine Route and go taste the Canadian Merlots available
> >right under your nose from dozens of Niagara wineries. You'll learn a

lot
> >and have a great time to boot.
> >--
> >Regards
> >Chuck
> >So much wine; So little time!
> >
> >To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address
> >
> >"Robbienorth" > wrote in message
> m...
> >> I'm new to the wine world and have begun my journey with an afiniti

for
> >> merlot wines. If you can suggest another good red I'm open but i like

teh
> >> smoothness of the merlots.
> >> I'm wondering if you could suggest the best options under 30$ that I

can
> >> get my hands on in the GTA???
> >> any help would be appreciated.

> Merlot from Niagra? This comes as a complete surprise to me. Thanks for

the
> rec. I've done quite a few tastings that were, at least co-sponsored, by
> producers/distributors in the NY and Canadian area, but all they have ever
> poured were "ice-wines," Rieslings and quite a few hybrids. Maybe they

just
> don't bring the "good stuff" south. Also, these tastings were all in FL,

and
> maybe their offerings were to fill that perceived market. I'm surprised

that
> they didn't completely open their portfolios. Live - and learn.
>
> Thanks,
> Hunt

Robbienorth

K, i know where I am, I'm in toronto, and we are the center of Canada.
Anyone in the GTA who would be able to help me with a local reference would
know what I'm talking about.
If your from Newfieland or anywhere else less important than just
disregard this post. How sad are you really? i just wanted some advice on
wines in a wine newsgrp. If i wanted anything from you guys who are so
crititcal i woulda posted in the 'idiot responses to genuine questions grp.'
To those who answered me with a real answer thank you.. to all others..
bite me...

RC

"Robbienorth" > wrote in message
> I'm new to the wine world and have begun my journey with an afiniti for
> merlot wines. If you can suggest another good red I'm open but i like teh
> smoothness of the merlots.
> I'm wondering if you could suggest the best options under 30$ that I can
> get my hands on in the GTA???
> any help would be appreciated.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Robbienorth,

'
> To those who answered me with a real answer thank you.. to all others..
>bite me...

No, I'll just plonk you for being an aggressive little twerp with no idea of
what it means to post to an international newsgroup. Talk about parochial!!
Don't bother to reply. I won't read it.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Richard Neidich

Your prescriptions in Canada are almost 1/2 of what ours are in the USA.
Therefore I suggest you stop buying wine immediately.

Instead buy Prozac...lots of it. It might help with you real issue.

Skip the wine...don't pass go...don't collect allowance...go get Prozac.

"Robbienorth" > wrote in message
> K, i know where I am, I'm in toronto, and we are the center of Canada.
> Anyone in the GTA who would be able to help me with a local reference
> would know what I'm talking about.
> If your from Newfieland or anywhere else less important than just
> disregard this post. How sad are you really? i just wanted some advice on
> wines in a wine newsgrp. If i wanted anything from you guys who are so
> crititcal i woulda posted in the 'idiot responses to genuine questions
> grp.'
> To those who answered me with a real answer thank you.. to all others..
> bite me...
>
> RC
>

> "Robbienorth" > wrote in message
>> I'm new to the wine world and have begun my journey with an afiniti for
>> merlot wines. If you can suggest another good red I'm open but i like teh
>> smoothness of the merlots.
>> I'm wondering if you could suggest the best options under 30$ that I can
>> get my hands on in the GTA???
>> any help would be appreciated.

Al Rudderham

On 1 Oct 2004 15:00:28 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

>For my education, how common are California Zins and Syrahs in Canada, through
>LCBO, which is, I assume, the national distribution/sales arm of Canada's
>version of ATF, or similar? In US, some states have stores that have a limited
>list of wines for sale, so state controlled liquor stores all have about the
>same line up. Is this true in CA (the country)? I've noticed some subscribers,
>primarily in the BC area, mentioning that they do not have access to some of
>the wines talked about in the group. Are there different levels of stores, as
>you mentioned "Vintages section?"

First off, the LCBO is the provincial, not national. There are
similar liquor commissions in other provinces. But since Ontario has
about 40% on Canada's population, it is the biggest. They claim to be
the biggest distributor of wine and liquor in the world. So the rest
of this is applicable to Ontario only.

Vintages is a "program" they run of twice monthly limited release
items, as opposed to their regular listing items. In general the
Vintages products tend to be the higher priced items, although there
are plenty of fine/expensive wines in the regular listings and lots of
low priced Vintages items too.

There are many "levels" of stores. I live near Kitchener/Waterloo,
which are twin cities of about 250,000 people. There are a couple
large stores that carry a large selection of "regular listing" items,
and have pretty good Vintages sections. There are also a lot of
smaller stores that carry a more limited selection of products. While
the smaller stores don't stock as much, they will order in anything in
the catalog without any minimum or extra charge.

Vintages has a good website at
www.vintages.com. There is also the
main LCBO site at www.lcbo.com. Remember that prices are in Canadian
dollars.

Back to your intial question, there are plenty of California Zins
available. In the Syrah/Shiraz market the Aussies rule in terms of
product selection. But Vintages did a feature on California
Syrah/Shiraz in one of the summer releases.

I hope that helps.

--
Remove preceding and trailing X from username for replies
(Sorry, but I'm SICK of spam...)
st.helier

"Robbienorth" wrote in message.....

> K, i know where I am, I'm in toronto, and we are the center of Canada.
> Anyone in the GTA who would be able to help me with a local reference
> would know what I'm talking about.

And I am in Whangaparaoa, New Zealand
My brother (who lurks here) is in Wooloomooloo, Australia
My Cousin (who doesn't even drink wine and doesn't lurk) lives in Mbabane,
Swaziland
And my Great Aunt Ethel in buried in Reykjavik, Iceland.

How on earth are they supposed to know what you are referring to, huh?

And what about our regular, *polite* contributors in France or Austria or
Norway or the UK?

You might be in the centre of Canada, but you are so far up your own RC that
you are in a different universe.

Go form your own newsgroup alt.moronic.abbreviations - and learn some
bloody manners.

st.helier

"Robbienorth" wrote in message.....

> K, i know where I am, I'm in toronto, and we are the center of Canada.
> Anyone in the GTA who would be able to help me with a local reference
> would know what I'm talking about.

And I am in Whangaparaoa, New Zealand
My brother (who lurks here) is in Wooloomooloo, Australia
My Cousin (who doesn't even drink wine and doesn't lurk) lives in Mbabane,
Swaziland
And my Great Aunt Ethel in buried in Reykjavik, Iceland.

How on earth are they supposed to know what you are referring to, huh?

And what about our regular, *polite* contributors in France or Austria or
Norway or the UK?

You might be in the centre of Canada, but you are so far up your own RC that
you are in a different universe.

Go form your own newsgroup alt.moronic.abbreviations - and learn some
bloody manners.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi st.helier,

Splendid stuff, Milord.

le/on Sat, 2 Oct 2004 18:16:42 +1200, tu disais/you said:-

>And I am in Whangaparaoa, New Zealand

Are you? I thought that you were in Pukekohe.

>My brother (who lurks here) is in Wooloomooloo, Australia

And mine is in Leatherhead UK.

>My Cousin (who doesn't even drink wine and doesn't lurk) lives in Mbabane,
>Swaziland

Ah, I've got one in Croatia

>And my Great Aunt Ethel in buried in Reykjavik, Iceland.

Good 'eavens, have you got a Great Aunt Ethel too? So have I. But she's not
buried in Reykjavic, she's in Hampstead,

But I bet you haven't got one grandfather buried in Balaton-Berény and the
other at Ypres.

>Go form your own newsgroup alt.moronic.abbreviations - and learn some
>bloody manners.

Like it, like it, chortle.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Mike Tommasi

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:23 -0400, "Robbienorth"
> wrote:

>K, i know where I am, I'm in toronto, and we are the center of Canada.
>Anyone in the GTA who would be able to help me with a local reference would
>know what I'm talking about.

Toronto suffers from this notion that it is the center of the country,
even though it is about 1000km off to the south-east. It has a city
rag that refers to itself as Canada's national newspaper. It refers to
those little pepperings of snow that it sometimes gets as blizzards.

;-)

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Hunt

In article >, xal.
says...

(Hunt) wrote:

>>For my education, how common are California Zins and Syrahs in Canada,

through
>>LCBO, which is, I assume, the national distribution/sales arm of Canada's
>>version of ATF, or similar? In US, some states have stores that have a

limited
>>list of wines for sale, so state controlled liquor stores all have about the
>>same line up. Is this true in CA (the country)? I've noticed some

subscribers,
>>primarily in the BC area, mentioning that they do not have access to some of
>>the wines talked about in the group. Are there different levels of stores,

as
>>you mentioned "Vintages section?"

>First off, the LCBO is the provincial, not national. There are
>similar liquor commissions in other provinces. But since Ontario has
>about 40% on Canada's population, it is the biggest. They claim to be
>the biggest distributor of wine and liquor in the world. So the rest
>of this is applicable to Ontario only.
>
>Vintages is a "program" they run of twice monthly limited release
>items, as opposed to their regular listing items. In general the
>Vintages products tend to be the higher priced items, although there
>are plenty of fine/expensive wines in the regular listings and lots of
>low priced Vintages items too.
>
>There are many "levels" of stores. I live near Kitchener/Waterloo,
>which are twin cities of about 250,000 people. There are a couple
>large stores that carry a large selection of "regular listing" items,
>and have pretty good Vintages sections. There are also a lot of
>smaller stores that carry a more limited selection of products. While
>the smaller stores don't stock as much, they will order in anything in
>the catalog without any minimum or extra charge.
>
>Vintages has a good website at
www.vintages.com. There is also the
>main LCBO site at www.lcbo.com. Remember that prices are in Canadian
>dollars.
>
>Back to your intial question, there are plenty of California Zins
>available. In the Syrah/Shiraz market the Aussies rule in terms of
>product selection. But Vintages did a feature on California
>Syrah/Shiraz in one of the summer releases.
>
>I hope that helps.
>
>--

Yes it does, very much. Thank you for the edification. I had seen the term
LCBO used in several posts, and had formed a few ideas - some correct, but
most wrong. I appreciate the time that you took to make this all very clear
for me.

Hunt

Hunt

In article >, xal.
says...

(Hunt) wrote:

>>For my education, how common are California Zins and Syrahs in Canada,

through
>>LCBO, which is, I assume, the national distribution/sales arm of Canada's
>>version of ATF, or similar? In US, some states have stores that have a

limited
>>list of wines for sale, so state controlled liquor stores all have about the
>>same line up. Is this true in CA (the country)? I've noticed some

subscribers,
>>primarily in the BC area, mentioning that they do not have access to some of
>>the wines talked about in the group. Are there different levels of stores,

as
>>you mentioned "Vintages section?"

>First off, the LCBO is the provincial, not national. There are
>similar liquor commissions in other provinces. But since Ontario has
>about 40% on Canada's population, it is the biggest. They claim to be
>the biggest distributor of wine and liquor in the world. So the rest
>of this is applicable to Ontario only.
>
>Vintages is a "program" they run of twice monthly limited release
>items, as opposed to their regular listing items. In general the
>Vintages products tend to be the higher priced items, although there
>are plenty of fine/expensive wines in the regular listings and lots of
>low priced Vintages items too.
>
>There are many "levels" of stores. I live near Kitchener/Waterloo,
>which are twin cities of about 250,000 people. There are a couple
>large stores that carry a large selection of "regular listing" items,
>and have pretty good Vintages sections. There are also a lot of
>smaller stores that carry a more limited selection of products. While
>the smaller stores don't stock as much, they will order in anything in
>the catalog without any minimum or extra charge.
>
>Vintages has a good website at
www.vintages.com. There is also the
>main LCBO site at www.lcbo.com. Remember that prices are in Canadian
>dollars.
>
>Back to your intial question, there are plenty of California Zins
>available. In the Syrah/Shiraz market the Aussies rule in terms of
>product selection. But Vintages did a feature on California
>Syrah/Shiraz in one of the summer releases.
>
>I hope that helps.
>
>--

Yes it does, very much. Thank you for the edification. I had seen the term
LCBO used in several posts, and had formed a few ideas - some correct, but
most wrong. I appreciate the time that you took to make this all very clear
for me.

Hunt

st.helier

"Ian Hoare" wrote in message........

> >And I am in Whangaparaoa, New Zealand

> Are you? I thought that you were in Pukekohe.

I was when you, Jacquie and "Lipton the Learned" visited; but a wee spot of
ill health forced a "reappraisal" and we are now about 30km north of metrop
Auckland in a coastal settlement about 1min 33secs walk from the waters edge
of the South Pacific.

Why don't you visit sometime?

> And mine is in Leatherhead UK.

Don't you just love English place names?

> >My Cousin (who doesn't even drink wine and doesn't lurk) lives in
> > Mbabane, Swaziland

This is actually true - he is the *strange* one, and Africa is a good place
for him!!!!

> Ah, I've got one in Croatia

Hundreds of those buggers down here - Croats and Serbs and Dalmatians -
they were the true pioneers of the NZ industry - although some of that
fortified *plonk* they produced made excellent paint stripper!!!

> But I bet you haven't got one grandfather buried in Balaton-Berény
> and the other at Ypres.

No, you are correct - my sister [family genealogist] has traced antecedents
back to Southern Ireland [de Burgh - Norman conqueror of some note -
thence rapists and pillagers nr Limerick] - and being a feisty bunch,
itching for a bit of biffo, there has been much [antipodean] ancestral blood
spilled during the Boer War, WW1 and WW2 - but I do believe they all came
home (although some minus bits of body parts!)

My father, the late Major-General Sir Kenneth Archibald o'Bourke, 9th Earl
of Hokianga, batman to the [then] Lord Beaverbrook served in Italy, where
he, single handed, attempted to solve the little known Chianti Crisis of
'43.

I credit him with sending me down this "vinous road-to-ruin" with a raffia
wrapped rough red when I was four!

He was trying to teach me a lesson - however, I loved the stuff, and much to
his chagrin, he was forced to share any future openings , while we crowded
around the wireless, listening to battles of the rugby kind in far off
places at ungodly hours.

Oh, those were the days !!!!!

--

st.helier [the somewhat sozzled !]

Bill Spohn

> >And I am in Whangaparaoa, New Zealand

Ah - presumably the world famous institute for dipsomaniacs....;-)

Where is that relative to Waipukerau (Hawke's Bay)? Had a nanny from there
once.....

Never been to NZ but want to come down and visit the Pukeiti Rhododendron Trust
one of these years.

>Hundreds of those buggers down here - Croats and Serbs and Dalmatians -

Yeah those Dalmatian buggers really whip you with their tails when they aren't
chasing fire trucks.
st.helier

"Bill Spohn" wrote in message

> Ah - presumably the world famous institute for dipsomaniacs....;-)

We have a saying - "World Famous in New Zealand" !

> Where is that relative to Waipukurau (Hawke's Bay)?
> ^

Six hours drive south and east of Auckland City:
Hawkes Bay = Wine Country !!!!!

> Had a nanny from there once.....

"Had" in a biblical sense? "you lucky so-and-so!!"

> Never been to NZ but want to come down and visit the
> Pukeiti Rhododendron Trust one of these years.

Hey, pack a few things (including Mrs. Legal Eagle!) Vancouver to Hawaii to
Auckland via Air Canada is an easy 15/16 hour jaunt, and allow 7/10 days in
NZ so I could take you on a wine and wodo wander!

Pukeiti is an absolutely fascinating place; on the side of a volcano;
valleys, streams, and waterfalls; sufficient species and hybrids of rhodos
to make your eyes water; native birdlife almost tame - I have been a
frequent visitor for nearly twenty years.

Last week in October is Rhododendron Festival week in New Plymouth.

Next year perhaps!

--

st.helier

Bill Spohn

>Hey, pack a few things (including Mrs. Legal Eagle!) Vancouver to Hawaii to
>Auckland via Air Canada is an easy 15/16 hour jaunt, and allow 7/10 days in
>NZ so I could take you on a wine and wodo wander!

Don't tempt me!

SWMBO would be booking tickets if she heard of this!

Maybe one of these days, though!
RV WRLee

>Pukeiti is an absolutely fascinating place; on the side of a volcano;
>valleys, streams, and waterfalls; sufficient species and hybrids of rhodos
>to make your eyes water; native birdlife almost tame - I have been a
>frequent visitor for nearly twenty years.

I understand that the trout fishery in NZ is second to none.
Bi!!