Dale Williams

Default TN: some okay wines, and a better-than-OK Graillot

Wednesday I grilled some pork chops and polenta, along with some leftover
greens and some fresh tomatoes. The 2003 Nigl Kremser Freiheit Grüner Veltliner
(Kremstal). Lighter, riper style of GruVe, flowers and green pea aromas over
some light white peach fruit. Pleasant wine on a warm night. B

Thursday we delivered our old couch to some friends who had just bought a
condo, and brought them their first dinner in their new place. I had done some
red-cooked chicken, the new homeowners supplied the rice and salad. While
moving furniture around, we enjoyed the 2003 Basa Rueda. Ripe tropical (guava
and pineapple) and citrus/grapefruit flavors, very good acidity, a
crowd-pleaser and a Dale-pleaser. B/B+

With the chicken, the 1998 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa). Medium
bodied with a vanilla/cherry nose. There's a slight green undercurrent to the
red fruit, and a hint of sweetness. I really doubt there's appreciable RS here,
but am at a loss - green and sweet fruit? There is decent acidity, and a
reasonable finish. B.
Poor match for the chicken, but good match for our friend Jim's tastes.

Friday Betsy made a recipe from Wednesday's paper, salmon baked with fresh
thyme, lemon, and almonds. I served the 2001 Dominique Laurent "Cuvee Numero 1"
Bourgogne. Ripe juicy Pinot, oak present but not overbearing. Not especially
Burgundian, I might think it a Carneros or even RRV Pinot, , but good deal at
$12. B

Saturday's dinner was also from Wednesday's NYTimes, Florence Fabricant's duck
breast with grilled fresh figs (seriously good recipe). The wine was the 2001
Alain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage. Drinking surprisingly well already, clear
blackberry fruit with a bit of smoke and tar. Finish lingers, with a nice
stoniness. There's a nice backbone of acidity and moderate tannins, this should
last. I know some panned this vintage of Graillot, but I like- a lot. Is there
a better $20 Northern Rhone out there? A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency. *
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Bill Spohn

>2001
>Alain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage. Drinking surprisingly well

Thanks for the reminder - I have to revisit the 95 and 96 to see how they are
doing.
Bill Spohn

>2001
>Alain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage. Drinking surprisingly well

Thanks for the reminder - I have to revisit the 95 and 96 to see how they are
doing.
Mark Lipton

Dale Williams wrote:

I know some panned this vintage of Graillot, but I like- a lot. Is there
> a better $20 Northern Rhone out there? A-/B+

Great notes, Dale, though the prices you quote make me green with envy.
As to your question: not better, but the Ogier "La Rosine" VdP is
another great QPR Syrah from the N. Rhone.

Mark Lipton
Bill Spohn

>the Ogier "La Rosine" VdP is
>another great QPR Syrah from the N. Rhone.

The Chave St. Joseph is often pretty good too.

Bill Spohn

>the Ogier "La Rosine" VdP is
>another great QPR Syrah from the N. Rhone.

The Chave St. Joseph is often pretty good too.
Dale Williams

>The Chave St. Joseph is often pretty good too.

Yeah, but it's hard to find the estate St-Jo for less than $30 now! The Offerus
is more reasonable, but clearly a step down in most vintages.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dale Williams