Arne Ahronovich

Default Mouton Cadet then and now; "Baron Philippe" single appellation cuvées, opinions?

1) Quite a few publications on Bordeaux mention that "Mouton Cadet"
originally was the 2nd wine of Mouton-Rothschild. However, no one seems to
be able to give exact numbers on when MC was finally transformed into the
generic mass-produced wine it is today. I'd be grateful if someone could
shed a light on this. The reason I'm asking is that a local shop has some
bottles of MC '57 and '59 in their so called "treasure grove" - they're
pricey but not that expensive considering the vintages and the fact that
they are likely to have been stored properly for the last decades (EUR 79.00
and 140.00, respectively). Could this be something of interest or are they
just cashing in on the very old leftover stock of what's basically the same
wine offered under the same name today?

2) Also, they are now marketing a new "luxury version" of MC (at least here
in Germany) called "Mouton Cadet Réserve". They're obviously aiming at the
"connoisseur" customer since it's available in Magnum bottles only (EUR
28.99).

3) BTW, has someone here ever tasted the Baron Philippe "single appellation
cuvées" which are positioned somewhat above MC? My nearest supermarket has a
bunch of them priced from EUR 14.99 (Graves) to EUR 19.99 (Pauillac). I
passed them by thinking that there are probably much better bargains to be
had at the lofty price tag, but maybe I'm wrong?

Arne

Bill Spohn

>a local shop has some
>bottles of MC '57 and '59 in their so called "treasure grove" - they're
>pricey but not that expensive considering the vintages and the fact that
>they are likely to have been stored properly for the last decades

The wine was mundane though no doubt pleasant when bottled and by now will be
pallid swill.

I have never been impressed with this wine blended from purchased grapes from
all over, nor was I impressed with their more recent attempts to market the
much more expensive 'Le Second Vin' de Mouton, although the later 'Petit
Mouton' was considerably better.