Dale Williams

Default TN: Wines with music( Leitz, WA cab, Chilean Syrah)

Wednesday Betsy left for a concert in Maine. I got some huge pork chops for
David and I, prepared with garlic, rice vinegar, and shao xing. Some leftover
Girard Sancerre paired ok, but later that night decided to open a bottle of
2002 Montes Alpha Syrah (Colchagua Valley). Slightly vanilla-ey nose, good rich
fruit, more apparent oak than previous vintage I had tried. The combination of
the sweetness of the fruit and the oak wasn't truly to my taste, though
certainly a well-made wine for $15. A glass on Th seemed a little less oaky,
and by Friday the oak-domination had subsided quite a bit. This reminded me a
bit of a rather modern styled Crozes more than a Shiraz. . B/B+, I'll put away
other bottle for a couple years.

Thursday I had eaten at office for a meeting, but came home and felt like a
glass of wine. Actually two- first the Syrah, then the 2002 Domaine des
Lauriers Demi-Sec Vouvray. Not a producer I knew, but thought I would give a
shot in the hyped 2002 vintage. Cheap Chenin is always a gamble, but this
wasn't bad at all. White flowers on the nose. The acidity balanced the sugar
nicely, good apple cider and pear flavors with a creamy edge. Decent flinty
finish. Unlike some CA CBs it actually tasted like Chenin. Pleasant sipping
wine to accompany Tom Waits and Roxy Music. Not a Vouvray to age, by Saturday
had fallen apart, but a very pleasant $9 wine. Might get another, and try the
sec. B/B+

Friday I met a friend at the Chart House so she could pick my brain about a
start-up non-profit she had volunteered to write grant proposals for. Not much
interesting on the list, I ordered a glass of the Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc.
Vintage not listed, but I could see it was the 2002. Light simple SB, a little
grass and a little oak. Inoffensive enough to sip, not interesting enough to go
for another $9 glass. That night a friend whose wife was also away came over,
we grilled steaks, with a salad, grilled veggies, and a
eggplant/mozzarella/pepper napolean (from Italian pork store). Sampled the
Chilean Syrah, then had the 2001 Nelms Road Cabernet Sauvignon (Columbia
Valley). Second wine of Woodward Canyon. Good blackcurrant and blackberry
fruit, light toasty oak, enough acidity to counter the ripe fruit. Modest fine
tannins. One could cellar for a few years, but I really think this is quite
pleasurable now as a match with rare meat. Sipped the last glass as I cleaned
up, with a Graham Parker/Little Feat/Kronos soundtrack. Some earth and mocha
show through. I need to drink more Washington wines. B+/A-

My plan on Saturday was to have lobster for dinner. A church in Pound Ridge
was having their annual lobsterfest, and my organization was the recepient of
the proceeds. I took Lucy the Basset and made the obligatory appearance, to say
thank you and buy a lobster. They had already sold 1600 and had none available.
Good for my group, bad for my dinner. On way home stopped at a friend's home,
she was having her annual Opening of Margarita Season party. I had a taste (I
don't care much for mixed drinks), then eyed the wine choice (Yellowtail) and
decided to go with seltzer. But there were enough munchies to cover dinner.
When I got home, opened the 2002 Joseph Leitz Rüdesheimer Klosterlay Riesling
Kabinett (Rheingau). Yippee yi yow. Just what I needed on a spring night. 8%
alcohol, fragrant floral nose with a nice herb edge. Sweet for Kabinett, but
with great balancing acidity. Citrus and mineral notes on the long gorgeous
finish. Seriously good wine for about $13. A fine accompaniment to some Peter
Gabriel,John Coltrane, Radiohead, and Fountains of Wayne. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dale Williams

>2002 Joseph Leitz Rüdesheimer Klosterlay Riesling
>Kabinett (Rheingau)

Oops, 2003 actually!
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Mark Lipton

Dale Williams wrote:

....Tom Waits and Roxy Music...

> ... Graham Parker/Little Feat/Kronos...
> ...Peter
> Gabriel,John Coltrane, Radiohead, and Fountains of Wayne...

OK, Dale! Enough is enough. So we have similar tastes in wine. Do we now have
to extend this to music? I'm beginning to feel that you're living my life, or
vice versa... ;-)

Mark Lipton

p.s. Jean takes issue of your pairing of a demi-sec Vouvray with Tom Waits. She
says you've partially redeemed yourself by including the leftover Syrah, though.