Dale Williams

Default TN: Post-concert wines

Saturday, Betsy took a couple of NZ racks of spring lamb from freeezer, thawed,
then roasted with dijon mustard. Very tasty, accompanied by poached fennel,
salad, and the 2001 Finca Sandoval (Manchuela), a Syrah. Spanish syrah? Yep,
with some mouvedre thrown in (7%). Really quite nice- prominent oak, sweet dark
berry fruit, ripe tannins. A distinct earthiness (the mouvedre?). A bit like a
more modern-styled Hermitage. This wine really grew on me, and showed very well
on following night, too. A-

Sunday Betsy and some friends put on a benefit concert for the organization I
head. Fantastic concert, with Bach and Brahms vocal pieces, solo Chopin , a
Schuman piece for French horn and piano, and a Rossini duet for 'cello and
bass. Afterwards Joe the bass-player and Andrea the mezzo joined some other
friends for dinner at our place. A nice day meant my first time grilling in a
while, and while I got steak ready we muched on smoked salmon and tried:

2001 Le Louvetier (Pessac-Leognan).
Somewhat grassy, a little oak. Melon and apple fruit. Dull for a 2001 Bdx
blanc. B/B-

2001 Strub Niersteiner Orbel Riesling Kabinett
White fruit with a grapefruity/lemony edge. Sweet fruit, good balancing
acidity. Not asleep at all. B/B+

2001 Bründlmayer Zöbinger Heiligenstein Riesling (Kamptal)
Intensely mineral, like having wet stones in ones mouth. Slate and citrus, long
finish. Fantastic wine for the price (less than $20, I'm pretty sure). A-

After the steaks were grilled, Betsy topped with a basil-anchovy butter, and we
served with potatoes, salad, and green beans, plus:

1999 La Licenziana (?) "Vicenziana" Barbaresco
Light and easy Nebbiolo, some tar and flowers over the pretty red fruit. B

1994 Beauséjour-Duffau
Had some hestitation re this - thought I remembered this as tannic (and a
recent 1994 tasting showed lots of tannin across the board), but the tannins,
though apparent, seemed to be integrating. Earth, flowers, and framboise on the
nose, deep almost kirsch-like fruit on palate. Big wonderful lush St.-Émilion,
dense fruit and long minerally finish. A-/A

1999 Kendall-Jackson "Great Estates" Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
Dark fruit, chocolatey, lots of toasty oak and some tannins. I approached this
with a bit of an attitude, KJ isn't my fave producer, but this was actually
pretty good in a typical CalCab style. B+

1996 Kurt Darting Dürkheimer Nonnengarten Rieslaner Auslese.
Sweetness finds its counterpart in zippy acidity. Apricot and orange marmalade,
honey over pineapple. Clean, bright, a hit with geeks and non-geeks alike. A-

Tonight Betsy made chicken with tarragon and mushrooms, and I opened a 1995 Dr.
Fischer Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett. This was a cheapie from a strange
local store (they have things like '93 Quincys and '98 Zeller Schwarze Katz ,
but then some decently priced '96 Left-Bank Bdx and Baroli). Storage has seemed
ok (I've been experimenting with occasional bottles), but I guess this bottle
was just too old. Some sweetness left, but fruit is mostly oxidized. Definitely
OTH, too bad. C-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party
where it was only choice.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
gedh

Default Post-concert wines

You may also like to try the 2000 Marques de Grinon Dominio de Valdepusa
Syrah (13 GBP). Very impressive & one of the most enjoyable wines I tasted
last year