amalia

Default Wine with Shiitake Mushrooms?

Tonight I'm making a Chinese chicken dish with a very savory but not at all
spicy sauce and reconstituted dried shiitake mushrooms. I am thinking
Riesling, because I have one I'd like to try tonight, but the mushrooms
throw me off.

Ming Tsai recommends a Tavel rosé for a similar dish. Can anyone here make a
recommendation?

Thanks very much,
-Amalia
_________________
Amalia Freedman
Remove X's to reply

James Silverton

"amalia" > wrote in message
> Tonight I'm making a Chinese chicken dish with a very savory but not

at all
> spicy sauce and reconstituted dried shiitake mushrooms. I am

thinking
> Riesling, because I have one I'd like to try tonight, but the

mushrooms
> throw me off.
>
> Ming Tsai recommends a Tavel rosi for a similar dish. Can anyone

here make a
> recommendation?

Strangely enough, tonight I am having salmon roasted on salt with
well-cooked Shitake mushrooms and Shanghai green beans as
accompaniments. None of these are very spicy and I intend to drink a
Rosemount 2002 Chardonnay.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Tom S

"amalia" > wrote in message
> Tonight I'm making a Chinese chicken dish with a very savory but not at

all
> spicy sauce and reconstituted dried shiitake mushrooms. I am thinking
> Riesling, because I have one I'd like to try tonight, but the mushrooms
> throw me off.
>
> Ming Tsai recommends a Tavel rosé for a similar dish. Can anyone here make

> recommendation?

Gee, that dish sounds like it's calling for a Pinot Noir to me - mostly
because of the mushrooms. Chicken is OK with Pinot too.

Tom S

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Tom S,

le/on Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:34:46 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Gee, that dish sounds like it's calling for a Pinot Noir to me - mostly
>because of the mushrooms. Chicken is OK with Pinot too.

Pinot Noir is wonderful with chicken, and wouldn't be frightened of the
mushrooms either. I quite like your idea, as long as "chinesiness" of the
dish isn't too pronounced.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Dale Williams

Amalia,

too late for last night's dinner, but I'll join the chorus for PN. I'd go for
something light and bright (basic Bourgogne from a top producer, a lighter
village wine from Volnay, or maybe somethng like a Saintsbury Carneros).

But I don't think a bigger Riesling would have been problematic, as shiitakes
are maybe slightly more towards the delicate rather than meaty end of the
mushroom spectrum.

Please let us know what you chose and how it went!
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

amalia

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> Amalia,
>
> too late for last night's dinner, but I'll join the chorus for PN. I'd go

for
> something light and bright (basic Bourgogne from a top producer, a lighter
> village wine from Volnay, or maybe somethng like a Saintsbury Carneros).
>
> But I don't think a bigger Riesling would have been problematic, as

shiitakes
> are maybe slightly more towards the delicate rather than meaty end of the
> mushroom spectrum.
>
> Please let us know what you chose and how it went!

Well, I think I chose wrong, based on my previous experience with the wine I
opened, a 2002 Blanck Gewurztraminer. I recalled it as being quite full and
ripe and that seemed to match my impression of this dish, a sandpot
casserole of chicken, lop cheong, dried shiitakes and green onion, first
stir fried and then steamed over rice with a light sauce of rice wine, soy
and sesame oil. I served the dish with stir-fried Chinese broccoli.

The wine exhibited a definite bitterness on the finish that I don't recall
from previous tastes. Could it be the mushrooms? The Chinese broccoli?

The dish was a hit, so I'll have the chance to experiment with the PN
suggestion next time. Thanks for your responses!

-Amalia

Mike Tommasi

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:11:12 GMT, "amalia"
> wrote:

>Tonight I'm making a Chinese chicken dish with a very savory but not at all
>spicy sauce and reconstituted dried shiitake mushrooms. I am thinking
>Riesling, because I have one I'd like to try tonight, but the mushrooms
>throw me off.
>
>Ming Tsai recommends a Tavel rosé for a similar dish. Can anyone here make a
>recommendation?

Try the Tavel of Eric Pfifferling, it has a lot of character, not
"just a rose'", and I think it would go well. Careful, no sulphites,
so buy it only from a place that knows how to handle this kind of
wines.

Mike

Jaybert41

>Tonight I'm making a Chinese chicken dish with a very savory but not at all
>spicy sauce and reconstituted dried shiitake mushrooms. I am thinking
>Riesling, because I have one I'd like to try tonight, but the mushrooms
>throw me off.
>
>Ming Tsai recommends a Tavel rosé for a similar dish. Can anyone here make a
>recommendation?
>
>Thanks very much,
>-Amalia

I have had good experiences with an array of Dry Sherries with shiitake
mushrooms. I have prepared Duck with Shiitake Mushrooms, Manzanilla Sherry,
Tamari and Almonds in the past but I dont know what ended up being paried with
the dish.

Jason