gerald

Default Is Declaring Smuggling?

Apart from the one time I have already mentioned, I've never smuggled,
and
with the climate of opinion post 9-11, I'm extremely reluctant to take
the
risk. If I EVER get caught, I could never come back to the USA without
major
hassles. It's OK for US citizens, the worst YOU would have is
confiscation
or a small fine. I'd be on record as a felon (isn't smuggling alcohol
felony offence?), and as such ineligible to enter ever again.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

If one declares the wine upon entry, just because one is over the free
limit, is that considered smuggling?
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi gerald,

le/on Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:49:03 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>If one declares the wine upon entry, just because one is over the free
>limit, is that considered smuggling?

No, but what do YOU think will happen if you declare wine upon entry into a
State with a zero entry allowance? I've not tried it, admittedly, but I'd
expect it to be confiscated, wouldn't you?

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
dick

Its a one way ticket to Guantanamo Bay Cuba.

"gerald" > wrote in message

> Apart from the one time I have already mentioned, I've never smuggled,
> and
> with the climate of opinion post 9-11, I'm extremely reluctant to take
> the
> risk. If I EVER get caught, I could never come back to the USA without
> major
> hassles. It's OK for US citizens, the worst YOU would have is
> confiscation
> or a small fine. I'd be on record as a felon (isn't smuggling alcohol
> felony offence?), and as such ineligible to enter ever again.
> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website
>
> If one declares the wine upon entry, just because one is over the free
> limit, is that considered smuggling?

Bromo

Um, probably not, but it isn't a good idea to even try even during times
that a re more reasonable.

On 2/16/04 1:35 PM, in article
t, "dick"
> wrote:

> Its a one way ticket to Guantanamo Bay Cuba.
>
> "gerald" > wrote in message
>>
>> Apart from the one time I have already mentioned, I've never smuggled,
>> and
>> with the climate of opinion post 9-11, I'm extremely reluctant to take
>> the
>> risk. If I EVER get caught, I could never come back to the USA without
>> major
>> hassles. It's OK for US citizens, the worst YOU would have is
>> confiscation
>> or a small fine. I'd be on record as a felon (isn't smuggling alcohol
>> felony offence?), and as such ineligible to enter ever again.
>> --
>> All the Best
>> Ian Hoare
>> http://www.souvigne.com
>> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website
>>
>> If one declares the wine upon entry, just because one is over the free
>> limit, is that considered smuggling?

Bromo

On 2/16/04 12:49 PM, in article ,
"gerald" > wrote:

> If one declares the wine upon entry, just because one is over the free
> limit, is that considered smuggling?

Nope. You will have to pay duty on it (they accept credit cards, BTW) and
that is about it unless you run into that Boston situation and the customs
agent was intent upon enforcing that particular law - either way I doubt you
would get into any legal trouble whatsoever.

They may be annoyed at you for bringing it up since they will have to fill
out paperwork and process the duty receipt.

Once I brought in a large number of books, well over the personal exemption
- I declared it, had a spreadsheet printout with the full paid value and
receipts and everything. Had the 'ol Mastercard ready - and the custom
agent looked at me, frowned, looked at the books, frowned, asked if the
amount I had declared was accurate - and I produced the receipts the back
it, she frowned and didn't read it, and then told me to go on through. I
think I had a bottle of scotch as well.

I think you guys should keep in mind that the customs agent are REALLY
overworked and bored at the same time. They don't want to make their life
more difficult, and have a great deal of latitude in assessing duty, etc.
If you are American, you will get a lot of slack, I think non-Americans will
get less, but probably more than the letter of the law would suggest.

You could also fly into NYC - which would not have the same
extra-restrictions that Boston may have.

Still, interesting.

Tad Davis

>> If one declares the wine upon entry, just because one is over
>> the free limit, is that considered smuggling?

Personal experience says that you can bring back at least two cases (to
the US), as long as you declare it and pay duty on it. And most of the
time, they will not care and will not charge you. I just brought back a
case of Albariño from Spain, declared it and was not charged any duty.

At some non-specific number of cases they could decide that it is more
wine than might be considered reasonable for personal use and this could
create problems for you, but smuggling is not one of them.

Tad

Bromo

> If I EVER get caught, I could never come back to the USA without
> major
> hassles. It's OK for US citizens, the worst YOU would have is
> confiscation
> or a small fine. I'd be on record as a felon (isn't smuggling alcohol
> felony offence?), and as such ineligible to enter ever again.

That is why you should play it safe - declare everything, and let the
customs agent decide to wave you through.

And you probably wouldn't be a felon - because you need to go to a trail and
lose to become one of those. You could be a "person of interest" by
Ashcroft - which in my book is far, far worse. :-P

Bill

Default Declaring everything (was Is Declaring Smuggling?)

Bromo wrote:

>That is why you should play it safe - declare everything, and let the
>customs agent decide to wave you through.

I enter the customs lane and am I asked if I have anything to declare. I
respond yes,
I declare everything. I have this 1992 Rosemont Shiraz but it is not
expensive, it is
a fruit bomb.

I wake up in the beautiful resort community of Guantanamo Bay the next day.

dick

I hear the conditions at Guantanimo are pretty nice December through March.

"Bill" > wrote in message
> Bromo wrote:
>
> >That is why you should play it safe - declare everything, and let the
> >customs agent decide to wave you through.
> >

> I enter the customs lane and am I asked if I have anything to declare. I
> respond yes,
> I declare everything. I have this 1992 Rosemont Shiraz but it is not
> expensive, it is
> a fruit bomb.
>
> I wake up in the beautiful resort community of Guantanamo Bay the next

day.

Michael Pronay

Ian Hoare > wrote:

>>If one declares the wine upon entry, just because one is over
>>the free limit, is that considered smuggling?

> No, but what do YOU think will happen if you declare wine upon
> entry into a State with a zero entry allowance? I've not tried
> it, admittedly, but I'd expect it to be confiscated, wouldn't
> you?

But, if I got it right, Ian, you won't enter a state with zero
allowance, don't you? Neither NY nor NJ are dry, as to my knowledge.

M.
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Bill,

le/on Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:56:34 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Bromo wrote:
>
>>That is why you should play it safe - declare everything, and let the
>>customs agent decide to wave you through.
>>

>I enter the customs lane and am I asked if I have anything to declare. I
>respond yes, I declare everything. I have this 1992 Rosemont Shiraz but it is not
>expensive, it is a fruit bomb.

>I wake up in the beautiful resort community of Guantanamo Bay the next day.

LOL!! Nice place, but the neighbours are a tad intolerant it seems!!

One advantage of course, is that since you're the guest of the US
administration, you don't spend any money in Cuba, so you won't be in breach
of US law!

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Bromo,

le/on Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:59:08 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>> I wake up in the beautiful resort community of Guantanamo Bay the next day.

>If you go in a customs line and crack jokes about how your bottle of wine is
>an explosive, you would get in a heap of trouble, face deportation even
>BEFORE 9/11.

Well, these guys aren't really employed for their quirky sense of humour!

Although I started this one, with how I found the US administrative system
to be pretty intimidating when entering the country, I have to tell you that
one time, coming into Miami International in transit, (we didn't therefore
expect to go through the full immigration palaver, so we'd not filled in the
green card) we were sent back out of line to fill in an immigration card -
frustrating since the line was 20 minutes. Well, when we'd filled it in, the
immigration official beckoned us forward, and then (I _don't_ know how the
conversation turned to food), recommended a place in the airport that
offered great value food. It did and we had a splendid cuban meal for only
about $10. So there IS a human face. It's sometimes hard to find, as a
foreigner.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
dick

Ian, the customs officials you are clearing with are Federal Agents not
state. I feel confident if you were entering in Mass. at Boston's Logan you
would not have any state official greet you at the Airport.

However, you would not be allowed to clear security if any bottles were open
coming or traveling within the USA. Not even a bottle of open water is
acceptable in many airports-security since 9/11.

Do as you wish but I think you are worrying about something that will not be
a problem for you. Declare the items...show that you plan to be in NYC at
Boston will not be an issue for you.

Regards,

Dick
"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi gerald,
>
> le/on Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:49:03 -0500, tu disais/you said:-
>

> >If one declares the wine upon entry, just because one is over the free
> >limit, is that considered smuggling?

> No, but what do YOU think will happen if you declare wine upon entry into

> State with a zero entry allowance? I've not tried it, admittedly, but I'd
> expect it to be confiscated, wouldn't you?
>
> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

dick

Even I will agree that our Customs, especially Miami can be intimidating.
Years ago I did extensive International Business Travel and even as a US
Citizen the Miami officials thought they were part of the third
reich.--Nazi's.

They were a first line against drug traffic into the USA. But why they
thought persons coming in from Cruises, or the Bahamas would carry was
amazing.

There I was once getting searched with a baby that was 6 months old, 5 year
old a wife....I guess I fit their profile.

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Bromo,
>
> le/on Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:59:08 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>

> >> I wake up in the beautiful resort community of Guantanamo Bay the next

day.

> >If you go in a customs line and crack jokes about how your bottle of wine

is
> >an explosive, you would get in a heap of trouble, face deportation even
> >BEFORE 9/11.

> Well, these guys aren't really employed for their quirky sense of humour!
>
> Although I started this one, with how I found the US administrative system
> to be pretty intimidating when entering the country, I have to tell you

that
> one time, coming into Miami International in transit, (we didn't therefore
> expect to go through the full immigration palaver, so we'd not filled in

the
> green card) we were sent back out of line to fill in an immigration card -
> frustrating since the line was 20 minutes. Well, when we'd filled it in,

the
> immigration official beckoned us forward, and then (I _don't_ know how the
> conversation turned to food), recommended a place in the airport that
> offered great value food. It did and we had a splendid cuban meal for only
> about $10. So there IS a human face. It's sometimes hard to find, as a
> foreigner.
>

> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Michael Pronay,

le/on 17 Feb 2004 09:23:49 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Ian Hoare > wrote:
>
>>>If one declares the wine upon entry, just because one is over
>>>the free limit, is that considered smuggling?

>> No, but what do YOU think will happen if you declare wine upon
>> entry into a State with a zero entry allowance? I've not tried
>> it, admittedly, but I'd expect it to be confiscated, wouldn't
>> you?

>But, if I got it right, Ian, you won't enter a state with zero
>allowance, don't you? Neither NY nor NJ are dry, as to my knowledge.

You're right. But one reason I'm GOING that way is to avoid Boston's Logan
airport.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
gerald

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:37:56 GMT, "dick" > wrote:

>Ian, the customs officials you are clearing with are Federal Agents not
>state. I feel confident if you were entering in Mass. at Boston's Logan you
>would not have any state official greet you at the Airport.

The federal Agents are also required to enforce state law, as I had
said earlier. If it is ok to bring into MA, no problem. If it is a
state law that will not allow, the Feds will enforce the law. there
a couple entry airports that do enforce the state law, and that is
done by US Customs.
dick

Explain where you get that idea that Federal is enforcing state. I am
unaware of such activity with regards to Customs.

"gerald" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:37:56 GMT, "dick" > wrote:
>
> >Ian, the customs officials you are clearing with are Federal Agents not
> >state. I feel confident if you were entering in Mass. at Boston's Logan

you
> >would not have any state official greet you at the Airport.
> >

> The federal Agents are also required to enforce state law, as I had
> said earlier. If it is ok to bring into MA, no problem. If it is a
> state law that will not allow, the Feds will enforce the law. there
> a couple entry airports that do enforce the state law, and that is
> done by US Customs.

dick

Additionally revenue agents could be State not Federal. Unlikely that the
Fed could care about state revenue issues. In fact they really by law are
not allowed to coordinate unless it involves a federal offense. Terrorism,
Kidnapping.

dick

"gerald" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:37:56 GMT, "dick" > wrote:
>
> >Ian, the customs officials you are clearing with are Federal Agents not
> >state. I feel confident if you were entering in Mass. at Boston's Logan

you
> >would not have any state official greet you at the Airport.
> >

> The federal Agents are also required to enforce state law, as I had
> said earlier. If it is ok to bring into MA, no problem. If it is a
> state law that will not allow, the Feds will enforce the law. there
> a couple entry airports that do enforce the state law, and that is
> done by US Customs.

RV WRLee

>Michigan had sunday sales, Ohio did not. The Michigan stores were
>watched, and the border patrol arrested people for bringing beer back.
>Big fine if over 3.2% beer.
>
>I do not know if that still goes on, or not.

No, Ohio has had Sunday sales for years. Occasionally they check the boreder
crossing between Kentuck and Ohio but usually that's for cigarettes where they
are watching a couple of large tobacco outlets on the border for people loading
up with cases of cigarettes.
Bi!!
RV WRLee

>Although I started this one, with how I found the US administrative system
>to be pretty intimidating when entering the country,

<Big Snip>

Just to be balanced Ian, it's the same in reverse when travelling to Europe as
an American especially to France or Italy. I guess by nature these folks are
intimidating or unnerving. I was once asked a series of questions by a French
Immigration official in French and when I answered in French he became agitated
and insisted that I respond in English. The Irish on the otherhand are the
most affable officials I've ever dealt with and I had one ask me if I knew any
of his relatives in Ohio and seemed surprised that I didn't know any of the
Ohio O'Connell's!

Bi!!
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi RV WRLee,

le/on 17 Feb 2004 17:26:31 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>>Although I started this one, with how I found the US administrative system
>>to be pretty intimidating when entering the country,

><Big Snip>
>
>Just to be balanced Ian, it's the same in reverse when travelling to Europe as
>an American especially to France or Italy.

I'm not surprised, Bill.

> I was once asked a series of questions by a French Immigration official in French and when I answered in French he became
> agitated and insisted that I respond in English.

ROFL... I hope that's not a comment on your French accent! ;-)))

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Larry

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:16:08 +0100, Ian Hoare >
wrote:

>Salut/Hi gerald,
>
> le/on Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:49:03 -0500, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>If one declares the wine upon entry, just because one is over the free
>>limit, is that considered smuggling?

>No, but what do YOU think will happen if you declare wine upon entry into a
>State with a zero entry allowance? I've not tried it, admittedly, but I'd
>expect it to be confiscated, wouldn't you?

Was on a cruise last March and the info officer said for all
passengers to use the rule of "five fingers". Take 5
bottles(26-40oz.) back with you (per couple and declare all. There
is a slight chance you might get asked to pay duty (and if so it's not
too high considering the booze was cheap) but chances are if you
declare they will wave you through.

We did and they let us through.

Larry
Southern Ontario

Michael Pronay

Ian Hoare > wrote:

>> But, if I got it right, Ian, you won't enter a state with zero
>> allowance, don't you? Neither NY nor NJ are dry, as to my
>> knowledge.

> You're right. But one reason I'm GOING that way is to avoid
> Boston's Logan airport.

I see, thank you.

M.
RV WRLee

>> I was once asked a series of questions by a French Immigration official in
>French and when I answered in French he became
>> agitated and insisted that I respond in English.

>ROFL... I hope that's not a comment on your French accent! ;-)))

That didn't occur to me at the time since he was asking fairly simple questions
like...how long are you staying, where are you staying, purpose of the trip,
etc. The funny part was that he asked me to respond in English....in French!
How could he misconstrue "dicks georges""Reams" and "a-shity vin"..........
Bi!!
grazzc

> I have to tell you that one time, coming into Miami International in
transit, (we didn't therefore
> expect to go through the full immigration palaver, so we'd not filled in

the
> green card) we were sent back out of line to fill in an immigration card -
> frustrating since the line was 20 minutes. Well, when we'd filled it in,

the
> immigration official beckoned us forward,

Ive been to Miami airport once on transit out to Peru (my folks were posted
out there on Diplomatic status) the immigration hall was enormous with
hundreds of desks for US nationals every single one manned and no queing
then four desks for foreigners with only two of them manned by people
obviously rejected by the Nazi's for being too inhuman. Talk about
anal-retentives. I had to fill in my brothers form again because he hadnt
filled in the transit address in block capitols. Then he wanted to search
through my brothers bag just out of spite, but my brother being a minor at
the time was afforded diplomatic immunity as a dependant of an officer of HM
Govmt. So the ******* searched my bag, as I wasnt a minor and therefor wasnt
covered with the immunity. After finding nothing more than my reading books,
some sweets and a couple of cans of coke (which he confiscated) we were
eventually allowed to pass. My dad later made a formal complaint and
recieved an apology via the american embassy in Lima. Not a welcome
experience though. Ive been to america a few times since and had much better
treatment and welcomes from US officials but I suppose they have different
issues in minneapolis and seattle.

grazz