Larry

Default Stay with what you like or...

I would like the group's opinion on something. It just might be that
I'm going about my enjoyment of wine tasting and drinking all the
wrong way.

Does everyone in this ng have their favourite wine? I get the
impression that many members enjoy a wide range of wines equally. In
other words if the world was going to end tomorrow would everyone know
exactly the wine they would choose or would any one of ten or twenty
be sufficient?

When I buy a new wine I'm hoping it is going to have a "magical"
taste. I'm always looking for something equal or better than the
last good bottle tried. But alas, many are not.

Recently I tried a Cote du Rhone ($19 cdn) by Guigal and a Mondavi
Cab($20cdn). In comparison to other 'big' reds these were a bit
disappointing. So what do people do? Dump it? Drink it knowing it's
just okay? Maybe I should be enjoying the differences and not
worrying so much about finding wines that are in only like my
favourite.

Any thoughts?

Larry Stumpf,
S. Ontario,
Canada

Chuck Reid

"Larry" > wrote in message
> I would like the group's opinion on something. It just might be that
> I'm going about my enjoyment of wine tasting and drinking all the
> wrong way.
>
> Does everyone in this ng have their favourite wine? I get the
> impression that many members enjoy a wide range of wines equally. In
> other words if the world was going to end tomorrow would everyone know
> exactly the wine they would choose or would any one of ten or twenty
> be sufficient?

Hi again Larry;

Having the good fortune to live in very close proximity to the Niagara Wine
Route (81) my wine acquisition methodology might differ in large respect to
the methods of others. Leaving ad hoc pickups during the year aside, my
method each fall is to make up a list of wine types (Chard, Riesling,
Merlot, Gamay, Meritage etc etc) that I wish to acquire in the particular
year. I then garner information from various sources (Nov. issues of Wine
Access mag & the Vines guide to Cdn wines for example) and my own
experience and contacts to make a list of 4 to 6 wineries to visit for each
type. Then, during the rest of the fall & winter Marg (swmbo) and I take
day excursions tasting only 1 type of wine and hopefully purchasing case
lots for the year(s) ahead.

As for favourites, I am today haunted by a particular 98 GV which I would
class as the best wine I have ever tasted. Sadly, I only bought 1 case. I
am doomed to compare all other GVs to this "standard" and to date have found
them all wanting....
Have had a similar experience with a Viognier....

I too would be interested to hear of others methodologies.
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

stay tuned patrick Vegan 0 19-10-2006 02:02 AM
Trying to stay unspammy Jason Tinling Barbecue 3 19-07-2005 12:42 PM
OT - stay tuned Dimitri General Cooking 5 15-06-2005 05:48 AM
"Stay Out of My Kid's Lunchbox!" Lenona321 General Cooking 32 08-12-2003 01:48 PM