Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Misc T-day wines

Thanksgiving was spent with the in-laws in Florida this year, but since
they no longer cook much, we all went out to a local restaurant,
Norwood's in Smyrna Beach, FL. Although the menu had a turducken
special on it, we found out that it had already gone by our "late"
dining hour of 5:30, so Jean, her father and I all settled for a dish of
two duck leg quarters in a tart chery sauce that was one of the finest
duck dishes I've had in a restaurant. To accompany this feast, we got:

NV Taittinger Brut "La Francaise"
nose: green apples, mildly toasty
palate: fine mousse, lively acidity, solid fruit, moderately autolytic

We got a half bottle of the bubbly to start with and to pair with the
Thanksgiving side dishes that accompanied our duck (mashed sweet potato,
sage stuffing and assorted vegetables), with which it went wonderfully.
Truth be told, it wasn't at all bad with the duck.

2004 D'Angerville Bourgogne
nose: initially reticent, boecoming more open, dark cherry and raspberry
palate: initially tight, opening after a splash decant to a medium
bodied, balanced wine with good varietal fruit and a somewhat short finish

With the duck, the Burgundy really shone, becoming fruitier and more
complex. My father-in-law, an enthusiastic if unsophisticated wine
drinker, absolutely loved the wine, especially when I told him that it
was only $38 on the wine list (one big surprise: their extensive and
interesting wine list had smaller markups on the imported than on the
domestic wines -- great deal for us!!)

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Misc T-day wines

On Dec 1, 12:55*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Thanksgiving was spent with the in-laws in Florida this year, but since
> they no longer cook much, we all went out to a local restaurant,
> Norwood's in Smyrna Beach, FL. *Although the menu had a turducken
> special on it, we found out that it had already gone by our "late"
> dining hour of 5:30, so Jean, her father and I all settled for a dish of
> two duck leg quarters in a tart chery sauce that was one of the finest
> duck dishes I've had in a restaurant. *To accompany this feast, we got:
>
> NV Taittinger Brut "La Francaise"
> nose: green apples, mildly toasty
> palate: fine mousse, lively acidity, solid fruit, moderately autolytic
>
> We got a half bottle of the bubbly to start with and to pair with the
> Thanksgiving side dishes that accompanied our duck (mashed sweet potato,
> sage stuffing and assorted vegetables), with which it went wonderfully.
> *Truth be told, it wasn't at all bad with the duck.
>
> 2004 D'Angerville Bourgogne
> nose: initially reticent, boecoming more open, dark cherry and raspberry
> palate: initially tight, opening after a splash decant to a medium
> bodied, balanced wine with good varietal fruit and a somewhat short finish
>
> With the duck, the Burgundy really shone, becoming fruitier and more
> complex. *My father-in-law, an enthusiastic if unsophisticated wine
> drinker, absolutely loved the wine, especially when I told him that it
> was only $38 on the wine list (one big surprise: their extensive and
> interesting wine list had smaller markups on the imported than on the
> domestic wines -- great deal for us!!)
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Nice report.
I really like the Taittinger (though not sure of what autolytic is in
wine)
Good prioce for the Angerville. No greenie meanies, I take it?
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Nice report.
> I really like the Taittinger (though not sure of what autolytic is in
> wine)

Sorry, ChemTalk gets in the way. Autolytic == yeast autolysis products
(doughy, toasty, yeasty)

> Good prioce for the Angerville. No greenie meanies, I take it?

None that I could detect, and I was on the lookup for 'em. I haven't
had many '04s, so it's possible that I'm not that sensitive to the
suspect compounds, but I do know the smell of the Asian ladybeetle as we
had a plague of them around here this summer and always get a cohort
wintering in our house. That smell, I'm happy to report, was notably
absent from the wine, which was quite straightforwardly fruity.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 2, 5:48�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
>
> > Nice report.
> > I really like the Taittinger (though not sure of what autolytic is in
> > wine)

> Sorry, ChemTalk gets in the way. �Autolytic == yeast autolysis products
> (doughy, toasty, yeasty)
>
> > Good prioce for the Angerville. No greenie meanies, I take it?

> None that I could detect, and I was on the lookup for 'em. �I haven't
> had many '04s, so it's possible that I'm not that sensitive to the
> suspect compounds, but I do know the smell of the Asian ladybeetle as we
> had a plague of them around here this summer and always get a cohort
> wintering in our house. �That smell, I'm happy to report, was notably
> absent from the wine, which was quite straightforwardly fruity.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

We have a huge problem with the Asian Ladybugs at our farm as they
tend to invade the house once the soybeans and corn are harvested in
the fall. They feed on aphids on the beans and corn. My take on the
smell is a gravelly acrid dirt aroma which I haven't found in any '04
burgs thank God.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> On Dec 2, 5:48?pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > DaleW wrote:
> >
> > > Nice report.
> > > I really like the Taittinger (though not sure of what autolytic is in
> > > wine)

> > Sorry, ChemTalk gets in the way. ?Autolytic == yeast autolysis products
> > (doughy, toasty, yeasty)
> >
> > > Good prioce for the Angerville. No greenie meanies, I take it?

> > None that I could detect, and I was on the lookup for 'em. ?I haven't
> > had many '04s, so it's possible that I'm not that sensitive to the
> > suspect compounds, but I do know the smell of the Asian ladybeetle as we
> > had a plague of them around here this summer and always get a cohort
> > wintering in our house. ?That smell, I'm happy to report, was notably
> > absent from the wine, which was quite straightforwardly fruity.
> >
> > Mark Lipton
> >
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: ?http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> We have a huge problem with the Asian Ladybugs at our farm as they
> tend to invade the house once the soybeans and corn are harvested in
> the fall. They feed on aphids on the beans and corn. My take on the
> smell is a gravelly acrid dirt aroma which I haven't found in any '04
> burgs thank God.

Are these the spotted ones that stink when smashed and bite as well?
They seem to get into everything when I have been up in the upper
midwest at this time of year.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 3, 11:08�am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �"Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > Sorry, ChemTalk gets in the way. ?Autolytic == yeast autolysis products
> > > (doughy, toasty, yeasty)

> > > None that I could detect, and I was on the lookup for 'em. ?I haven't
> > > had many '04s, so it's possible that I'm not that sensitive to the
> > > suspect compounds, but I do know the smell of the Asian ladybeetle as we
> > > had a plague of them around here this summer and always get a cohort
> > > wintering in our house. ?That smell, I'm happy to report, was notably
> > > absent from the wine, which was quite straightforwardly fruity.

> > > Mark Lipton

> > > --
> > > alt.food.wine FAQ: ?http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> > We have a huge problem with the Asian Ladybugs at our farm as they
> > tend to invade the house once the soybeans and corn are harvested in
> > the fall. �They feed on aphids on the beans and corn. �My take on the
> > smell is a gravelly acrid dirt aroma which I haven't found in any '04
> > burgs thank God.

> Are these the spotted ones that stink when smashed and bite as well?
> They seem to get into everything when I have been up in the upper
> midwest at this time of year.- Hide quoted text -

They are light reddish brown with spots unlike the red or pink
ladybugs that hang out in gardens. They do stink when crushed but
they do not bite....at least I've never been bitten and I've
encountered at least a few million of them in the past couple of
years. As usual...a good idea gone bad.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:

> They are light reddish brown with spots unlike the red or pink
> ladybugs that hang out in gardens. They do stink when crushed but
> they do not bite....at least I've never been bitten and I've
> encountered at least a few million of them in the past couple of
> years. As usual...a good idea gone bad.

There are reports of them biting, including one from Andrew (now 5), but
it certainly isn't a common occurrence. Our plague, BTW, was brought on
by an earlier plague of aphids, which were swarming in such numbers as
to produce a menace to the unwary. Jean, who is generally phobic about
"bugs," was needless to say creeped out by it all.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 3, 2:15�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
> > They are light reddish brown with spots unlike the red or pink
> > ladybugs that hang out in gardens. �They do stink when crushed but
> > they do not bite....at least I've never been bitten and I've
> > encountered at least a few million of them in the past couple of
> > years. �As usual...a good idea gone bad.

> There are reports of them biting, including one from Andrew (now 5), but
> it certainly isn't a common occurrence. �Our plague, BTW, was brought on
> by an earlier plague of aphids, which were swarming in such numbers as
> to produce a menace to the unwary. �Jean, who is generally phobic about
> "bugs," was needless to say creeped out by it all.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Well, if you have aphids, Asian ladybugs are soon to follow. It's
like opening a great bottle of wine at dinner and having a long lost
college friend drop by the table after seeing you across the dining
room at a restaurant.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2:15?pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > Bi!! wrote:
> > > They are light reddish brown with spots unlike the red or pink
> > > ladybugs that hang out in gardens. ?They do stink when crushed but
> > > they do not bite....at least I've never been bitten and I've
> > > encountered at least a few million of them in the past couple of
> > > years. ?As usual...a good idea gone bad.

> > There are reports of them biting, including one from Andrew (now 5), but
> > it certainly isn't a common occurrence. ?Our plague, BTW, was brought on
> > by an earlier plague of aphids, which were swarming in such numbers as
> > to produce a menace to the unwary. ?Jean, who is generally phobic about
> > "bugs," was needless to say creeped out by it all.
> >
> > Mark Lipton
> >
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: ?http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> Well, if you have aphids, Asian ladybugs are soon to follow. It's
> like opening a great bottle of wine at dinner and having a long lost
> college friend drop by the table after seeing you across the dining
> room at a restaurant.

LOL

RFD: chat.misc (Repost) Victor Sack General Cooking 4 31-12-2006 11:02 PM
Some misc Italians jcoulter Wine 5 14-02-2005 02:28 PM
Misc. Notes Bill Spohn Wine 0 15-07-2004 03:34 PM
Misc. Wines this week Bill Spohn Wine 2 29-06-2004 06:23 AM
Misc. Notes Bill Spohn Wine 0 25-01-2004 03:50 PM