Posted to alt.food.wine

Default el cheapo oz red

I know it's only September, but this red gets my value for money wine of the
year award already. It's the Hardys Stamp of Australia Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 - I bought a dozen at around $AUD6.60 the 1 litre bottle.

The wine is a lovely robust melange of fully ripe berries, plums, sweet
vanillin American oak, mildly assertive tannins and a pleasant aftertaste.
Good on its own or with tucker and a stunner at the price. Some very
ordinary cask (bag in box) wines are dearer.

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to alt.food.wine

Sorry mucking around with a new PC - forgot to include my surname in the
newsgroup details.!

"Martin" > wrote in message
>I know it's only September, but this red gets my value for money wine of
>the year award already. It's the Hardys Stamp of Australia Cabernet
>Sauvignon 2008 - I bought a dozen at around $AUD6.60 the 1 litre bottle.
>
> The wine is a lovely robust melange of fully ripe berries, plums, sweet
> vanillin American oak, mildly assertive tannins and a pleasant aftertaste.
> Good on its own or with tucker and a stunner at the price. Some very
> ordinary cask (bag in box) wines are dearer.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Martin

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:34:09 +1000, Martin wrote:

> I know it's only September, but this red gets my value for money wine of
> the year award already. It's the Hardys Stamp of Australia Cabernet
> Sauvignon 2008 - I bought a dozen at around $AUD6.60 the 1 litre bottle.
>
> The wine is a lovely robust melange of fully ripe berries, plums, sweet
> vanillin American oak, mildly assertive tannins and a pleasant
> aftertaste. Good on its own or with tucker and a stunner at the price.
> Some very ordinary cask (bag in box) wines are dearer.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Martin

For the benefit of those on the other side of the pond, what is "tucker?"

Godzilla
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 21, 7:34�am, Godzilla Lizard > wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:34:09 +1000, Martin wrote:
> > I know it's only September, but this red gets my value for money wine of
> > the year award already. It's the Hardys Stamp of Australia Cabernet
> > Sauvignon 2008 - I bought a dozen at around $AUD6.60 the 1 litre bottle..

> > The wine is a lovely robust melange of fully ripe berries, plums, sweet
> > vanillin American oak, mildly assertive tannins and a pleasant
> > aftertaste. Good on its own or with tucker and a stunner at the price.
> > Some very ordinary cask (bag in box) wines are dearer.

> > Cheers!

> > Martin

> For the benefit of those on the other side of the pond, what is "tucker?"
>
> Godzilla

Food
Posted to alt.food.wine

Godzilla wrote on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:34:39 +0000:

>> I know it's only September, but this red gets my value for
>> money wine of the year award already. It's the Hardys Stamp
>> of Australia Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 - I bought a dozen at
>> around $AUD6.60 the 1 litre bottle.
>>
>> The wine is a lovely robust melange of fully ripe berries,
>> plums, sweet vanillin American oak, mildly assertive tannins
>> and a pleasant aftertaste. Good on its own or with tucker and
>> a stunner at the price. Some very ordinary cask (bag in box)
>> wines are dearer.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Martin

> For the benefit of those on the other side of the pond, what
> is "tucker?"

Doesn't the OZ "national anthem" refer to a "tucker bag" carried by the
swagman.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Martin" > wrote in message
|I know it's only September, but this red gets my value for money wine of the
| year award already. It's the Hardys Stamp of Australia Cabernet Sauvignon
| 2008 - I bought a dozen at around $AUD6.60 the 1 litre bottle.
|
| The wine is a lovely robust melange of fully ripe berries, plums, sweet
| vanillin American oak, mildly assertive tannins and a pleasant aftertaste.
| Good on its own or with tucker and a stunner at the price. Some very
| ordinary cask (bag in box) wines are dearer.
|
| Cheers!
|
| Martin

It should also be available in the 3 litre box .... Hardys has always
claimed that the two packagings are identical. Last had it about 3
years ago, thought it so-so, but I will try it again. Always eager
to encourage well made and affordable wines, yes sir!

pavane

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:04:35 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Godzilla wrote on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:34:39 +0000:
>
>>> I know it's only September, but this red gets my value for
>>> money wine of the year award already. It's the Hardys Stamp
>>> of Australia Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 - I bought a dozen at
>>> around $AUD6.60 the 1 litre bottle.
>>>
>>> The wine is a lovely robust melange of fully ripe berries,
>>> plums, sweet vanillin American oak, mildly assertive tannins
>>> and a pleasant aftertaste. Good on its own or with tucker and
>>> a stunner at the price. Some very ordinary cask (bag in box)
>>> wines are dearer.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Martin

>> For the benefit of those on the other side of the pond, what
>> is "tucker?"

>Doesn't the OZ "national anthem" refer to a "tucker bag" carried by the
>swagman.

That accolale would currently go to "I Still Call Australia Home"
arguably the most popular (surely it is to Qantas) song about
Australia. the official anthem is "Advance Australia Fair"

But Waltzing Matilda was in the running in the day.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Martin" > wrote in message
>I know it's only September, but this red gets my value for money wine of
>the year award already. It's the Hardys Stamp of Australia Cabernet
>Sauvignon 2008 - I bought a dozen at around $AUD6.60 the 1 litre bottle.
>
> The wine is a lovely robust melange of fully ripe berries, plums, sweet
> vanillin American oak, mildly assertive tannins and a pleasant aftertaste.
> Good on its own or with tucker and a stunner at the price. Some very
> ordinary cask (bag in box) wines are dearer.

Perhaps they've changed the "formula". When I tasted this wine a few years
ago it was so full of oak, I poured it down the sink right away, it was like
drinking chocolate. It's the only wine to which I've ever done that!
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Martin" > wrote in message
>>I know it's only September, but this red gets my value for money wine of
>>the year award already. It's the Hardys Stamp of Australia Cabernet
>>Sauvignon 2008 - I bought a dozen at around $AUD6.60 the 1 litre bottle.
>>
>> The wine is a lovely robust melange of fully ripe berries, plums, sweet
>> vanillin American oak, mildly assertive tannins and a pleasant
>> aftertaste. Good on its own or with tucker and a stunner at the price.
>> Some very ordinary cask (bag in box) wines are dearer.
>>

> Perhaps they've changed the "formula". When I tasted this wine a few
> years ago it was so full of oak, I poured it down the sink right away, it
> was like drinking chocolate. It's the only wine to which I've ever done
> that!
> Graham

Oak is still there but not offensively so - to my palate. It was the
generous fruit that got me. Remember, we're talking about a wine that sells
for $6.60 the litre here. (and yes I do understand that bad wine is bad wine
at any price).

Re "Tucker" The school "tuck shop' will be well-known to English readers.
That's the one where Billy Bunter tucked into humbugs, cream buns and such
like.

Cheers!

Martin

Cheapo ham help notbob General Cooking 5 24-12-2013 02:20 AM
El Cheapo Dessert [email protected] General Cooking 1 14-10-2006 04:09 PM
Fiesta cheapo gas grill - should I go for it? Joshua Beall General Cooking 2 07-04-2006 03:27 PM
Fiesta cheapo gas grill - should I go for it? Joshua Beall Cooking Equipment 2 07-04-2006 03:27 PM
Cheapo range hood Randall Nortman Cooking Equipment 11 19-01-2006 01:33 AM