Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] QPR CdR

Tonight, with a light dinner of gazpacho and sandwiches, we opened:

2007 Dom. d'Andézon Cotes du Rhone ($9.99)
nose: brambly dark fruit, minerals
palate: medium body, firm acidic backbone, brightly fruity

This wine, produced by the Caves Cooperative of Estézargues and imported
by Eric Solomon, is atypical for a CdR in its falvor profile. Instead
of the usual dark cherry profile for Grenache-dominated wines, this one
had a much darker fruit element, but also higher acidity and lighter
body. Though I don't know its encepagement, I suspect from its flavors
that it may be something slightly different from the typical GSM blend
-- more Cinsaut or something? And have I yet mentioned how much I love
the '07 vintage in France (and Germany and Austria...)?

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default QPR CdR

On Sep 9, 1:14*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, with a light dinner of gazpacho and sandwiches, we opened:
>
> 2007 Dom. d'Andézon Cotes du Rhone ($9.99)
> nose: brambly dark fruit, minerals
> palate: medium body, firm acidic backbone, brightly fruity
>
> This wine, produced by the Caves Cooperative of Estézargues and imported
> by Eric Solomon, is atypical for a CdR in its falvor profile. *Instead
> of the usual dark cherry profile for Grenache-dominated wines, this one
> had a much darker fruit element, but also higher acidity and lighter
> body. *Though I don't know its encepagement, I suspect from its flavors
> that it may be something slightly different from the typical GSM blend
> -- more Cinsaut or something? *And have I yet mentioned how much I love
> the '07 vintage in France (and Germany and Austria...)?
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Haven't had the 07, but I thought the Andezon CdR was 100% Syrah?
Generally a good bargain
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Haven't had the 07, but I thought the Andezon CdR was 100% Syrah?
> Generally a good bargain

You may well be right, Dale. I know that they do produce a 100% Syrah
cuvée, as well as a 100% Grenache one, but are they labeled as such?
This one was a generic CdR and I couldn't find much support on the Web
for the 100% Syrah view (aside from Astor's website).

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 9, 10:16*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Haven't had the 07, but I thought the Andezon CdR was 100% Syrah?
> > Generally a good bargain

> You may well be right, Dale. *I know that they do produce a 100% Syrah
> cuvée, as well as a 100% Grenache one, but are they labeled as such?
> This one was a generic CdR and I couldn't find much support on the Web
> for the 100% Syrah view (aside from Astor's website).
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

pretty sure that ones I remember were jst labelled CdR, but maybe
mentioned all Syrah on back label. But been a few years
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 9, 10:23*am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 9, 10:16*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>
> > DaleW wrote:
> > > Haven't had the 07, but I thought the Andezon CdR was 100% Syrah?
> > > Generally a good bargain

> > You may well be right, Dale. *I know that they do produce a 100% Syrah
> > cuvée, as well as a 100% Grenache one, but are they labeled as such?
> > This one was a generic CdR and I couldn't find much support on the Web
> > for the 100% Syrah view (aside from Astor's website).

> > Mark Lipton

> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> pretty sure that ones I remember were jst labelled CdR, but maybe
> mentioned all Syrah on back label. But been a few years

OK according to Solomon 90% Syrah, 10% Grenache
http://www.europeancellars.com/portfolio_detail.cfm

The 2001 was 100% syrah (and I had one that lasted till 2007), and I
found my note for the 2004, said "Syrah based " (but obviously I knew
from 01).

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding
> Tonight, with a light dinner of gazpacho and sandwiches, we opened:
>
> 2007 Dom. d'Andézon Cotes du Rhone ($9.99)
> nose: brambly dark fruit, minerals
> palate: medium body, firm acidic backbone, brightly fruity
>
> This wine, produced by the Caves Cooperative of Estézargues and imported
> by Eric Solomon, is atypical for a CdR in its falvor profile. Instead
> of the usual dark cherry profile for Grenache-dominated wines, this one
> had a much darker fruit element, but also higher acidity and lighter
> body. Though I don't know its encepagement, I suspect from its flavors
> that it may be something slightly different from the typical GSM blend
> -- more Cinsaut or something?

From www.wine.com
A blend of 90% Syrah (40-year old vines) and 10% Grenache (60-year old
vines), the tank-fermented and aged 2007 Cotes du Rhone exhibits sweet
blackberry and cassis fruit interwoven with notions of spring flowers,
licorice, and road tar

Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

Anders Tørneskog wrote:

> From www.wine.com
> A blend of 90% Syrah (40-year old vines) and 10% Grenache (60-year old
> vines), the tank-fermented and aged 2007 Cotes du Rhone exhibits sweet
> blackberry and cassis fruit interwoven with notions of spring flowers,
> licorice, and road tar

Thanks, Anders. 90/10 it is. I must say that Syrah from the S Rhone
bears little resemblance to the wines made in the N Rhone. Terroir indeed!

Mark Lipton