Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: pre-Labor Day party, w/reds, white, pinks, bubbles

Sunday was a lovely cool day, and we had invited a motley crew for a
party. Betsy made fried chicken, tomatillo guacamole, and a watermelon/
feta salad. I was in charge of grilling some porterhouses, sausages,
franks, teriyaki salmon, peppers and squash. Friends brought a wide
assortment of salads, appetizers, cheeses, desserts, and more meat for
the fire.

Lots of wines tasted over the afternoon and evening:

Fizzy

Parigot & Richard Cremant de Bourgogne rose
I can't say I'm normally a big cremant dB fan, but this is a fairly
interesting little wine, raspberry and cranberry notes, some yeast,
light bubbles. Rather coarse mousse, and finish isn't too long, but a
fun sip. B

Spago Nero Riondo Prosecco (Veneto)
Not clear if Spago Nero or Riondo is the producer. Frizzante, very
light, a bit of sweetness, not complex but would be great on a really
hot day. B-

White

2007 Vigneti Pittaro Pinot Grigio (Friuli)
Light melon notes, a bit of floral muskiness, fairly short/clipped
finish. B-/C+

2008*Benaza*Godello (Monterrei)*
Limes, saline minerality, good zippy acids, nice length. B+

2005 Matrot "Les Combettes" Puligny-Montrachet 1er
Thanks John for this. Really lovely, though this needs time (but does
one chance it in the era of PremOx?). Despite the tightness, I really
enjoyed this. Chalk meets flint minerality, lemony acids, crisp pear
fruit accented by earth and smoke. I think of Matrot as my "go to"
Meursault producer, but this Puligny is great. A-/A

2007 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Kabinett
Super Riesling, racy acids, green apple, peaches, slate. A-

Pink
2008 Croix de Basson (Cotes de Provence)
(Ecocert sticker). Pale, red fruits, moderate acids, pleasant bu not
a lot here. B-

2008 Edmunds St John Bone Jolly Gamay rose
Sweet cherries, watermelon, strawberry. Nice balance of fruit and
acidity. another ESJ winner. B++

Red

2006 Gouges Bourgogne
Surprisingly open for a Gouges, but unsurprisingly tannic for a
Bourgogne. Earthy, good dark fruit, could use some time. B+/B

2006 Calandray Cotes du Roussillon Reserve*
Very ripe, a bit hot. Too heavy for an al fresco wine even on a lovely
cool day. C+

1970 St Pierre (St Julien)
I decanted this in cellar and served blind to those into wine. Some
guesses of Burgundy or Sangiovese, and I can see why. Lots of black
cherries, fairly high acids, resolved tannins. A touch of a pruney
note, fully mature but not past it. This was part of a mixed lot we
paid very little for, quite happy with it. B+/B

2007 Cline Zinfandel
Wild berries, medium bodied, a little hint of vanilla. B-

2007 Ch. d'Oupia Minervois
Classy for price, some ripe tannins, good dark fruit. B

2007*Gonon*"Les Iles*Feray" (Vin de Pays de l'Ardeche).*
Pepper, smoke, and spice over a solid body of Syrah fruit, QPR winner.
B+

2007 Clos Roche Blanche "L'Arpent Rouge" Touraine
Showing a bit more piney/resinous than I remember, raspberry and
cranberry fruit, herby. B/B-

2005 Ch. Les Trois Croix (Fronsac)
Quite modern, mocha notes over black plums and cassis, lush texture. B

Fun day that stretched into night with a nice group. My favorite
moment was when 10 year old Seiji, who was helping watch the hound,
came over and said "Can Lucy have a hot dog?" I considered, said "ok,
just one." Seiji replied "Good, because she just ate one."

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 11:30:42 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

> Spago Nero Riondo Prosecco (Veneto)
> Not clear if Spago Nero or Riondo is the producer.

I don't know for sure, but since "Spago Nero" means "black string," my
guess is that it's the brand name and Riondo is the name of the
producer.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 7, 5:18*pm, Ken Blake > wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 11:30:42 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
> wrote:
>
> > Spago Nero Riondo Prosecco (Veneto)
> > Not clear if Spago Nero or Riondo is the producer.

> I don't know for sure, but since "Spago Nero" means "black string," my
> guess is that it's the brand name and Riondo is the name of the
> producer.
>
> --
> Ken Blake
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Thanks Ken, makes sense.

Left off one wine, the 2007 von Hovel "Balduin" Riesling QbA. Light,
good acidity, green apples, some spritz at first. Not a lot of
substance, but refreshing. B/B-

TN: Penedes bubbles, Campania white, Coonawarra red DaleW Wine 0 22-04-2016 11:13 PM
TN: mostly whites, plus bubbly, 2 pinks, 2 reds DaleW Wine 0 28-07-2012 09:01 PM
Labor Day picnic party cshenk General Cooking 6 07-09-2010 05:58 PM
Reds for White JP in Lon Winemaking 1 14-12-2005 04:19 PM
TN: Labor Party wines Dale Williams Wine 10 09-09-2004 04:01 AM