Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '90 Bordeaux '98 Barolo

Opened last night with dinner of grilled rib eyes, fresh SIlver Queen
corn on the cob with a fried green tomato and chevre starter.

NV Pierre Peters Blanc de Blanc as an opener with the fried green
tomato and chevre stack. Nice nose of apples and pears. Bright and
refreshing on the palate, a nice citrus squirt with a mid palate of
apples and brioche. Perfect foiol to the tartness of the tomato/
chevre starter.

1990 Chateau Gruard Larose-Typical Cordier funky barnyard nose with a
bit of mint and black cherry. Very smooth and deep on the palate with
cassis, blackcherry and wet stones on the finish. Well resolved
tannins. Ready to drink but will hold for many years. A-

1998 Marcarini Brunate Barolo-The wine looked mature with a light red
color with an orange hue. Leathery nose with hints of tar and roses.
THe wine was mature on the palate, big bold tart red cherry, cedar and
gooseberry notes. Still slightly tannic and a bit acidic but smoothed
out with steak. B+
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 7, 9:13*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> Opened last night with dinner of grilled rib eyes, fresh SIlver Queen
> corn on the cob with a fried green tomato and chevre starter.
>
> NV Pierre Peters Blanc de Blanc as an opener with the fried green
> tomato and chevre stack. *Nice nose of apples and pears. *Bright and
> refreshing on the palate, a nice citrus squirt with a mid palate of
> apples and brioche. *Perfect foiol to the tartness of the tomato/
> chevre starter.
>
> 1990 Chateau Gruard Larose-Typical Cordier funky barnyard nose with a
> bit of mint and black cherry. *Very smooth and deep on the palate with
> cassis, blackcherry and wet stones on the finish. *Well resolved
> tannins. *Ready to drink but will hold for many years. A-
>
> 1998 Marcarini Brunate Barolo-The wine looked mature with a light red
> color with an orange hue. *Leathery nose with hints of tar and roses.
> THe wine was mature on the palate, big bold tart red cherry, cedar and
> gooseberry notes. *Still slightly tannic and a bit acidic but smoothed
> out with steak. B+

Thanks for notes.
I always like the Peters. I've found a little variation in the 90
Gruaud, can be great, but occasional bottles show too roasted
(storage?). Have a couple bottles of the 98 Brunate, but plan on
waiting a bit.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 7, 2:59�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Aug 7, 9:13�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > Opened last night with dinner of grilled rib eyes, fresh SIlver Queen
> > corn on the cob with a fried green tomato and chevre starter.

> > NV Pierre Peters Blanc de Blanc as an opener with the fried green
> > tomato and chevre stack. �Nice nose of apples and pears. �Bright and
> > refreshing on the palate, a nice citrus squirt with a mid palate of
> > apples and brioche. �Perfect foiol to the tartness of the tomato/
> > chevre starter.

> > 1990 Chateau Gruard Larose-Typical Cordier funky barnyard nose with a
> > bit of mint and black cherry. �Very smooth and deep on the palate with
> > cassis, blackcherry and wet stones on the finish. �Well resolved
> > tannins. �Ready to drink but will hold for many years. A-

> > 1998 Marcarini Brunate Barolo-The wine looked mature with a light red
> > color with an orange hue. �Leathery nose with hints of tar and roses.
> > THe wine was mature on the palate, big bold tart red cherry, cedar and
> > gooseberry notes. �Still slightly tannic and a bit acidic but smoothed
> > out with steak. B+

> Thanks for notes.
> I always like the Peters. I've found a little variation in the 90
> Gruaud, can be great, but occasional bottles show too roasted
> (storage?). Have a couple bottles of the 98 Brunate, but plan on
> waiting a bit.- Hide quoted text -

The Marcarini was fully mature at 55F so I wouldn't wait too many more
years. It was verging on old.