Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Jean's Birthday wines ('08 SUH QbA and '04 Chave StJ)

To celebrate Jean's birthday today (discretion forbids me from
mentioning years), I cooked her a dinner of smoked duck, cold borscht,
sweet corn and orzo with a light salad.

As an aperitif and with the soup and corn:

2008 St. Urbans Hof Mosel Riesling QbA ($15.49)
nose: flowers and citrus
palate: light, lithe, zesty lime, off dry

Our first exposure to the '08 vintage in the Mosel was a good
experience. Having had this wine in previous vintages ('05 and '06
IIRC), this year's version has more zip and is lighter on its feet. If
a QbA can be this fun, I can't wait for the lower Prädikat QmPs.

With the duck, etc.
2004 J. L Chave St. Joseph
nose: stones, bright, juicy, red berry fruit, a hint of meatiness
palate: medium weight, bright, juicy, some complexity

Jean had asked for a Crozes with the duck, but our only Crozes at the
moment is an '06 Graillot that is nowehere near ready. In truth, this
wine was nowhere near ready, too, but still quite pleasant to drink.
Jean complained of the simpleness and a lack of depth, but I suspect
that another 5-10 years will produce a much more interesting wine than
the one we had tonight. A decent match with smoked duck, though. Half
the bottle retained for subsequent evaluation.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Jean's Birthday wines ('08 SUH QbA and '04 Chave StJ)

On Jul 27, 2:30*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> To celebrate Jean's birthday today (discretion forbids me from
> mentioning years), I cooked her a dinner of smoked duck, cold borscht,
> sweet corn and orzo with a light salad.
>
> As an aperitif and with the soup and corn:
>
> 2008 St. Urbans Hof Mosel Riesling QbA ($15.49)
> nose: flowers and citrus
> palate: light, lithe, zesty lime, off dry
>
> Our first exposure to the '08 vintage in the Mosel was a good
> experience. *Having had this wine in previous vintages ('05 and '06
> IIRC), this year's version has more zip and is lighter on its feet. *If
> a QbA can be this fun, I can't wait for the lower Prädikat QmPs.
>
> With the duck, etc.
> 2004 J. L Chave St. Joseph
> nose: stones, bright, juicy, red berry fruit, a hint of meatiness
> palate: medium weight, bright, juicy, some complexity
>
> Jean had asked for a Crozes with the duck, but our only Crozes at the
> moment is an '06 Graillot that is nowehere near ready. *In truth, this
> wine was nowhere near ready, too, but still quite pleasant to drink.
> Jean complained of the simpleness and a lack of depth, but I suspect
> that another 5-10 years will produce a much more interesting wine than
> the one we had tonight. *A decent match with smoked duck, though. *Half
> the bottle retained for subsequent evaluation.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Happy Birthday Jean!
The QbA sounds very nice.
I just got a bottle of the '04 Chave estate St-Jo (Grapes closeout of
lone bottles), will hold for a while based on this.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:42:02 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

>On Jul 27, 2:30*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>> To celebrate Jean's birthday today (discretion forbids me from
>> mentioning years), I cooked her a dinner of smoked duck, cold borscht,
>> sweet corn and orzo with a light salad.
>>
>> As an aperitif and with the soup and corn:
>>
>> 2008 St. Urbans Hof Mosel Riesling QbA ($15.49)
>> nose: flowers and citrus
>> palate: light, lithe, zesty lime, off dry
>>
>> Our first exposure to the '08 vintage in the Mosel was a good
>> experience. *Having had this wine in previous vintages ('05 and '06
>> IIRC), this year's version has more zip and is lighter on its feet. *If
>> a QbA can be this fun, I can't wait for the lower Prädikat QmPs.
>>
>> With the duck, etc.
>> 2004 J. L Chave St. Joseph
>> nose: stones, bright, juicy, red berry fruit, a hint of meatiness
>> palate: medium weight, bright, juicy, some complexity
>>
>> Jean had asked for a Crozes with the duck, but our only Crozes at the
>> moment is an '06 Graillot that is nowehere near ready. *In truth, this
>> wine was nowhere near ready, too, but still quite pleasant to drink.
>> Jean complained of the simpleness and a lack of depth, but I suspect
>> that another 5-10 years will produce a much more interesting wine than
>> the one we had tonight. *A decent match with smoked duck, though. *Half
>> the bottle retained for subsequent evaluation.
>>
>> Mark Lipton
>>
>> --
>> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

>Happy Birthday Jean!
>The QbA sounds very nice.
>I just got a bottle of the '04 Chave estate St-Jo (Grapes closeout of
>lone bottles), will hold for a while based on this.

LIke the Chave. Have 3 bottles of Offerus 01 and 03, judging from your
comments they could use some time as well?
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 27, 9:23*am, Joseph Coulter > wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:42:02 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
> wrote:
>

> >On Jul 27, 2:30*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> >> To celebrate Jean's birthday today (discretion forbids me from
> >> mentioning years), I cooked her a dinner of smoked duck, cold borscht,
> >> sweet corn and orzo with a light salad.

> >> As an aperitif and with the soup and corn:

> >> 2008 St. Urbans Hof Mosel Riesling QbA ($15.49)
> >> nose: flowers and citrus
> >> palate: light, lithe, zesty lime, off dry

> >> Our first exposure to the '08 vintage in the Mosel was a good
> >> experience. *Having had this wine in previous vintages ('05 and '06
> >> IIRC), this year's version has more zip and is lighter on its feet. *If
> >> a QbA can be this fun, I can't wait for the lower Prädikat QmPs.

> >> With the duck, etc.
> >> 2004 J. L Chave St. Joseph
> >> nose: stones, bright, juicy, red berry fruit, a hint of meatiness
> >> palate: medium weight, bright, juicy, some complexity

> >> Jean had asked for a Crozes with the duck, but our only Crozes at the
> >> moment is an '06 Graillot that is nowehere near ready. *In truth, this
> >> wine was nowhere near ready, too, but still quite pleasant to drink.
> >> Jean complained of the simpleness and a lack of depth, but I suspect
> >> that another 5-10 years will produce a much more interesting wine than
> >> the one we had tonight. *A decent match with smoked duck, though. *Half
> >> the bottle retained for subsequent evaluation.

> >> Mark Lipton

> >> --
> >> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> >Happy Birthday Jean!
> >The QbA sounds very nice.
> >I just got a bottle of the '04 Chave estate St-Jo (Grapes closeout of
> >lone bottles), will hold for a while based on this.

> LIke the Chave. Have 3 bottles of Offerus 01 and 03, judging from your
> comments they could use some time as well?
> Joseph Coulter
> Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacationswww.josephcoulter.com

The Offerus is generally regarded as an earlier drinker than the
estate St Jo. I'd guess the '01 is pretty ready (never had, but Gilman
lists as 2006-2010). I thought '03 could use some time a couple years
ago, have a lone bottle I'm thinking within next couple years.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Joseph Coulter > wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:42:02 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
> wrote:
>
> >On Jul 27, 2:30*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> >> To celebrate Jean's birthday today (discretion forbids me from
> >> mentioning years), I cooked her a dinner of smoked duck, cold borscht,
> >> sweet corn and orzo with a light salad.
> >>
> >> As an aperitif and with the soup and corn:
> >>
> >> 2008 St. Urbans Hof Mosel Riesling QbA ($15.49)
> >> nose: flowers and citrus
> >> palate: light, lithe, zesty lime, off dry
> >>
> >> Our first exposure to the '08 vintage in the Mosel was a good
> >> experience. *Having had this wine in previous vintages ('05 and '06
> >> IIRC), this year's version has more zip and is lighter on its feet. *If
> >> a QbA can be this fun, I can't wait for the lower Prädikat QmPs.
> >>
> >> With the duck, etc.
> >> 2004 J. L Chave St. Joseph
> >> nose: stones, bright, juicy, red berry fruit, a hint of meatiness
> >> palate: medium weight, bright, juicy, some complexity
> >>
> >> Jean had asked for a Crozes with the duck, but our only Crozes at the
> >> moment is an '06 Graillot that is nowehere near ready. *In truth, this
> >> wine was nowhere near ready, too, but still quite pleasant to drink.
> >> Jean complained of the simpleness and a lack of depth, but I suspect
> >> that another 5-10 years will produce a much more interesting wine than
> >> the one we had tonight. *A decent match with smoked duck, though. *Half
> >> the bottle retained for subsequent evaluation.
> >>
> >> Mark Lipton
> >>
> >> --
> >> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> >Happy Birthday Jean!
> >The QbA sounds very nice.
> >I just got a bottle of the '04 Chave estate St-Jo (Grapes closeout of
> >lone bottles), will hold for a while based on this.

> LIke the Chave. Have 3 bottles of Offerus 01 and 03, judging from your
> comments they could use some time as well?
> Joseph Coulter
> Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
> www.josephcoulter.com

We had the Offerus from 2003 at a wine tasting at Casa Sena in Santa Fe
and it will need a lot more time. 5-7 years.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:35:58 -0400, Lawrence Leichtman
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Joseph Coulter > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:42:02 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
>> wrote:

>> >Happy Birthday Jean!
>> >The QbA sounds very nice.
>> >I just got a bottle of the '04 Chave estate St-Jo (Grapes closeout of
>> >lone bottles), will hold for a while based on this.

>> LIke the Chave. Have 3 bottles of Offerus 01 and 03, judging from your
>> comments they could use some time as well?
>> Joseph Coulter
>> Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
>> www.josephcoulter.com

>We had the Offerus from 2003 at a wine tasting at Casa Sena in Santa Fe
>and it will need a lot more time. 5-7 years.

Thank you.

TN: Memorial Day w/'64 Lynch, '97 Nigl & Gouges, '62 Grivot, '82Torres, '87 Chave and many younger wines DaleW Wine 0 31-05-2016 07:09 PM
Birthday Wines Bill S. Wine 0 23-01-2011 04:46 PM
First Chave, Offerus 2003, then St. Josept 2003...now 2004 Chave Cotes Du Rhone Mon Coeur Richard Neidich Wine 0 14-09-2006 05:24 PM
Chave 2003 Offerus vs Chave Domain St Joseph 2003 Richard Neidich Wine 2 13-09-2006 05:19 PM
TN: Birthday Wines Dale Williams Wine 2 06-10-2003 01:05 PM