Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: wine with the jazz crowd- CA, Oz, & Basque wines

With Betsy out of town, some friends generously invited me to dinner
last night. Absolutely gorgeous evening, we sat on the deck and great
food and wine, and great conversation (though the jazz gossip/biztalk
sometimes went over my head, as I was only outsider)

With marinated feta, olives, etc:
2007 Cold Water Creek Chardonnay*(Napa)
Some vanilla, toast, fruit is mostly pears (think canned) but at least
with ok acidity. C+

With grilled octupus with a rosemary oil:
2008 Xarmant Txakoli
Just slightest hint of spritz, fine citrus fruits, a Muscadet-ish
salinity. As it warms the fruit seems rounder/riper, with more melon
and apple. New producer to me, but I'll look for again. B+

With skirt steak, quinoa/rice/bean salad, and green salad

2007 Kunin Pape Star (Central Coast)
This is a Grenache/Mourvedre/Syrah blend. I'm not often a big fan of
those varieties in CA, but I actually quite liked this. Nice acid
balance, no obvious oak, red and black berries, earthy, a little
pepper and tar. A producer I'm not familiar with, but will look for,
my favorite WOTN. B+/A-

2005 Elderton Shiraz
Big, hard edged, very sweet jammy fruit. Cocoa and coffee, vanilla,
not my style. B-/C+

2007 Ridge Three Valleys
Clean Zinberry fruit, some not overpowering oak, sweet spices. Not
especially complex, but I like more than I generally have this
bottling in past vintages. B/B+

Somewhere in here others had strawberry/rhubarb pie and we all had
cheese. A bonus bottle was opened

2007 Louis Martini Cabernet Sauvignon
I've generally found this to be a decent quaffer in past vintages, but
this is rather disappointing. Thin red fruit bordering on dilute,
short finish, doesn't seem very CS-ish. C+

There was also a bottle of co-op Barolo I had opened 2 days before
(earlier report), actually held up well. Night was gorgeous, I enjoyed
the 3 block walk home (I was DEFINITELY in no shape to drive 3 feet,
much less 3 blocks). Fun night.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*