Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Alsace by bike

Hello
Any suggestions for a wine producer, fun to visit, within easy bike distance
from Riquewihr?
Cheers
Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> Hello
> Any suggestions for a wine producer, fun to visit, within easy bike
> distance from Riquewihr?

There's this small outfit called Trambeck or Trumbich or something... :P
People I know speak highly of visits there (seriously).

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>> Hello
>> Any suggestions for a wine producer, fun to visit, within easy bike
>> distance from Riquewihr?

> There's this small outfit called Trambeck or Trumbich or something... :P
> People I know speak highly of visits there (seriously).

Oops! They're in Ribeauvillé, not Riquewihr, but they're fairly close
together, are they not? (Hmm... Google maps says 7 km -- is that an
easy bike ride for you?)

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Visited Hugel 1998, did not particularly like, also is walkiong distance,
not bike.
Suggestions are not for the dynamic duo (self + Xina) but our neighbours who
most likely would consider a 7 km return trip slightly strenouos ...
Cheers
Nils
"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i meddelandet
> Mark Lipton wrote:
>> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>>> Hello
>>> Any suggestions for a wine producer, fun to visit, within easy bike
>>> distance from Riquewihr?

>> There's this small outfit called Trambeck or Trumbich or something... :P
>> People I know speak highly of visits there (seriously).

> Oh yes, that's Trim Back...
>
> I believe Hugel is also around there.
>

> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Posted to alt.food.wine

To quote myself "a wine producer, fun to visit".

> Bergheim is 8km from Riquewihr, you find Deiss there, as well as
> Freyburger.

Deiss, rhymes with price ... -y, but admittedly good, Freyburger have not
yet tasted ...

> At 3km you find Beblenheim, with Bott-Geyl, they are some of the nicest
> people I know and their wine is just like them...

NOW you are, to make an incomprehensible pune, or play on words, cooking
with choucroute (hint: in Swedish, the words for cabbage and coal are,
spelling apart, the same). And good Rutger will find 3 km just bearable -
just.

> A little further is Boxler, 12km, in Niedermohrwschwihr.

Boxler? Hmmm - if our dealings with the bank goes well, and we can start
doing our week trips to Alsace, that might be something to consider ...

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

In message >
"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" >
wrote:

> Hello
> Any suggestions for a wine producer, fun to visit, within easy bike distance
> from Riquewihr?
> Cheers
> Nils

Scheidecker at Rue des Merles, Mittelwihr are genuine small growers
with a good range of drier Alsatians - that's wine not dogs. their
generics are good and they have some Mandelberg and Sporen GCs as
well. Good hunting - don't fall off the bike on he way back.

Tim
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>
>> Visited Hugel 1998, did not particularly like, also is walkiong
>> distance, not bike.
>> Suggestions are not for the dynamic duo (self + Xina) but our
>> neighbours who most likely would consider a 7 km return trip slightly
>> strenouos ...

> We'll start calling you Lance...
>
> I don't particularly like Hugel either, but you did not specify "good
> wine producer" :-)
>
> Bergheim is 8km from Riquewihr, you find Deiss there, as well as
> Freyburger. Ribeauvillé is even closer, Louis Sipp is there. All of
> these are great.
>
> At 3km you find Beblenheim, with Bott-Geyl, they are some of the nicest
> people I know and their wine is just like them...
>
> A little further is Boxler, 12km, in Niedermohrwschwihr.

Boxler! Now you're talking. Where are Schoffit and Rolly Gassman? I
was just in Chicago today and picked up some wine at Sam's -- I had a
look at their Alsace supply and was stunned to see both the prices and
the alcohol levels. $45 for a non-GC Alsace Riesling no longer sounds
like much of a bargain, and PG and Gewurz at 15% ABV don't appeal much,
either, especially with the RS creep that's been taking place there.
It's an ironic world when top-flight Kabinett Riesling such as the
Meulenhof '07 that I picked up today for $17 a bottle becomes the QPR
leader for dry(ish) Riesling.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

> It's an ironic world when top-flight Kabinett Riesling such as the
> Meulenhof '07 that I picked up today for $17 a bottle becomes the QPR
> leader for dry(ish) Riesling.

Alsace is definitely feeling the (dubiouos) benefit of (alleged) global
warming. Meanwhile, back in Germany ...
On our forced pit-stop in Karlsruhe-Durlach, for a very good lunch, we had
the Durlacher Turmberg Riesling Kabinett Trocken 2007 - despite somewhat
backbreaking name, delightfully dry, well structured, light (11% abv), with
both fruit and acidity, and not smelling like a 50s gas station (that's
petrol station for the limeys), and (bit of drumroll here, please) at
cellardoor, EU 7.50. Unfortunately, said cellardoor was closed when we next
passed through the neighbourhood. Arrr! Foiled again!

No, the good growers of Alsace are no doubt in for a change in style,
whether they will or they nil. Mme Baur is bitterly complaining that she can
no longer make the Rieslings she want to - summer's too warm.

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

I suppose you mean "Trimbach"

Yves

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in message
> Visited Hugel 1998, did not particularly like, also is walkiong distance,
> not bike.
> Suggestions are not for the dynamic duo (self + Xina) but our neighbours
> who most likely would consider a 7 km return trip slightly strenouos ...
>
> Cheers
> Nils
> "Mike Tommasi" > skrev i meddelandet
>> Mark Lipton wrote:
>>>
>>> There's this small outfit called Trambeck or Trumbich or something... :P
>>> People I know speak highly of visits there (seriously).

>> Oh yes, that's Trim Back...
>>
>> I believe Hugel is also around there.
>>

>> --
>> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
>> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> Funny.

same,

F6 b