Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bdx at Apiary (accidental Ducru vertical, plus others)

Paul gathered a nice group of six for some blind Bordeaux at Apiary.
Scott Bryan (formerly of Veritas) has put together a nice fairly
casual place. I really enjoyed my food, an appetizer of lightly smoked
salmon topped with a runny egg, roe, and a remoulade-ish sauce, and a
main course of excellent duck breast over whipped celeriac and some
lentils (nice portion sizes).

Starter wine was the 1985 Charles *Heidsieck "Champagne Charlie"
Brut. A sniff of the bottle at first seemed a little funky/cheesy,
but disappeared as it was poured. Medium to full bodied, lots of
citrusy fruit, just a hint of Parker house rolls. Good length. Nice
though not profound. B+

The reds were (mostly) blind and (mostly) in flights of 2. I took only
rudimentary notes, made mostly poor guesses, but had a good time:

First Flight:
#1 - Medium bodied, some tannins, fairly high acidity. Group goes
Medoc, I venture '79 based on acids. Nope. Both red and black fruits,
earthy, cedary. Pretty good, might have been a bit better if paired
with meat. B+ 1975 Ducru Beaucaillou

#2- no guesses from me (my wine). Cork broke, it was decanted but a
bit cloudy. Nose is pretty nice, earthy forest floor notes with some
tobacco. Cassis fruit, resolved tannins. Group got Medoc right away,
and Taylor called St Julien early,. B+/A- 1970 Ducru Beaucaillou

Second Flight
#1 - a bit lighter, but fairly good fruit- red plums with lots of
minty/herby notes. Group says Right Bank, I'm guessing Figeac, nope.
I'm surprised and impressed with the 1976 Magdelaine. B/B+

#2- groups goes Right, but our guesses center on 70s and early 80s.
Good fruit, still some tannins, there's some cigarbox aromas. Begins
to fade after a while, but impressive for 48- the 1961 La Gaffeliere
Naudes. B+/A-

Third Flight
#1 - balanced, elegant, classic Medoc with young black fruit combined
with a complex mix of loamy earth, cocoa, herbs, cedar. Lovely, long.
A very good showing. My WOTN. A/A- 1982 Ducru Beaucaillou

#2 - lighter, a bit older. Showing age, but still a nice wine. Some
baking spices, forest floor, red fruits, a few remaining tannins.
After someone guesses '71 and is told "no, but good guess" a couple of
us go with '67.
B/B+ 1967 Mouton Rothschild

Fourth Flight
#1 Corked. Aaaggghh. 1989 Angelus

#2 isn't blind, the 1990 Angelus was mistakenly revealed in planning
stages, so served non-blind. Rich deep cassis and kirsch fruit, lush
and luscious. Fruit dominates, but there's lot happening here-
cocoa, flowers, earth. Needs time. A-

Richard pulls out a bonus bottle, others tell him to blind it, as I've
glimpsed I don't guess. Paul quickly declares Right. Nice ripe black
plum fruit with an overlay of leather and herbs, I'm pretty impressed
with the 1981 La Conseillante. B+/A-

I haven't been spitting, and really don't need any more wine, but
somehow I have a couple pours of the 1986 Climens with my cheese
course. Sweet with just a touch of heat, honey and orange peel, good
length, nice. B+

Another table sent over a pour of the 1990 (Hubert?) Lignier Clos de
la Roche, I just smelled, but a great nose of cinnamon, black
cherries, smoke, and mushrooms.

Fun evening, excellent restaurant, nice crew. Except for the sadly
corked Angelus, I'd happily drink any of those wines any night.

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 14, 11:06�am, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> with the 1981 �La Conseillante. B+/A-
>
> I haven't been spitting, and really don't need any more wine, but
> somehow I have a couple pours of the 1986 Climens with my cheese
> course. Sweet with just a touch of heat, honey and orange peel, good
> length, nice. B+
>
> Another table sent over a pour of the �1990 �(Hubert?) Lignier Clos de
> la Roche, I just smelled, but a great nose of cinnamon, black
> cherries, smoke, and mushrooms.
>
> Fun evening, excellent restaurant, nice crew. Except for the sadly
> corked Angelus, I'd happily drink any of those wines any night.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

The '82 Ducru is one of my all time favorites. I still have a few
left a at least one 3L.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 14, 11:59*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> [...]

> > I haven't been spitting, and really don't need any more wine, but
> > somehow I have a couple pours of the 1986 Climens with my cheese
> > course. Sweet with just a touch of heat, honey and orange peel, good
> > length, nice. B+

> > Another table sent over a pour of the 1990 (Hubert?) Lignier Clos de
> > la Roche, I just smelled, but a great nose of cinnamon, black
> > cherries, smoke, and mushrooms.

> > Fun evening, excellent restaurant, nice crew. Except for the sadly
> > corked Angelus, I'd happily drink any of those wines any night.

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> >

> The '82 Ducru is one of my all time favorites. *I still have a few

3L? Just let us know when to be there.....

My friend Craig from Zachys auctions says the Lignier he sent over
was Georges, not Hubert.