Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Fat food beverages?

I was just sent this delicious link: www.thisiswhyyourefat.com. As I
salivated over the morbidly fascinating dishes I could only wonder what
beverages people consumed with the trashy food. Thunderbird? Cola?
Hydrochloric acid?

I love the artistically arranged "bacon wrapped French toast sticks
Stonehenge".

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to alt.food.wine

Martin Field wrote:
> I was just sent this delicious link: www.thisiswhyyourefat.com. As I
> salivated over the morbidly fascinating dishes I could only wonder what
> beverages people consumed with the trashy food. Thunderbird? Cola?
> Hydrochloric acid?

Trashy?! And then some people here get indignant when smoked out to
be snobs. Nothing wrong with the dishes, with some of them anyway.

> I love the artistically arranged "bacon wrapped French toast sticks
> Stonehenge".

I'll take an off-dry Riesling with these for brunch, thankyouverymuch.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> Martin Field wrote:
>> I was just sent this delicious link: www.thisiswhyyourefat.com. As I
>> salivated over the morbidly fascinating dishes I could only wonder
>> what beverages people consumed with the trashy food. Thunderbird?
>> Cola? Hydrochloric acid?

> I learned this the hard way.
>
> Despite my aversion to fast food, there are occasional situations, when
> travelling, where you have no choice, eat trashy or starve. When
> confronted with this, in a MISGUIDED attempt to keep my food intake as
> untrashy as possible, I would do things like accompany the offending
> proteins with something that seemed healthier, say, a glass of milk or
> fruit juice, but nothing prevented me from terrible consequences on my
> digestive system.
>
> When doing fast food, voluntarily or under coercion or by necessity, do
> it all the way or not at all. Burgers are inseparable from COKE: Coke is
> the antidote, the antiseptic balancing force that MUST accompany fast
> food. You can't have one without the other and expect a normal digestive
> cycle.

Agreed. I dislike fast food, but sometimes that's just the only option.

Coke definitely helps, in fact coke is useful for situations where
keeping things down is difficult, e.g. recovering from food poisoning or
undergoing chemotherapy.

While many of the dishes on the site are really revolting, certainly
some are traditional and excellent. Toad in the hole, for example.
Best with real Cumberland sausages, but tonight I will make it with
local French equivalent, raised and ground about 20 km from here.

My intent is, however, eschew wine with this marvelous concoction (oh
no, I've been reading too many Godzilla posts! ) and pass directly,
as should be, to the black.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> Martin Field wrote:
>> I was just sent this delicious link: www.thisiswhyyourefat.com. As I
>> salivated over the morbidly fascinating dishes I could only wonder
>> what beverages people consumed with the trashy food. Thunderbird?
>> Cola? Hydrochloric acid?

> I learned this the hard way.
>
> Despite my aversion to fast food, there are occasional situations, when
> travelling, where you have no choice, eat trashy or starve. When
> confronted with this, in a MISGUIDED attempt to keep my food intake as
> untrashy as possible, I would do things like accompany the offending
> proteins with something that seemed healthier, say, a glass of milk or
> fruit juice, but nothing prevented me from terrible consequences on my
> digestive system.
>
> When doing fast food, voluntarily or under coercion or by necessity, do
> it all the way or not at all. Burgers are inseparable from COKE: Coke is
> the antidote, the antiseptic balancing force that MUST accompany fast
> food. You can't have one without the other and expect a normal digestive
> cycle.

Here I must make several confessions. I have never drunk a Coke or a
Pepsi or any other soda; I have also never eaten at Mickey D's or Burger
King or several other fast food purveyors (not to say that I haven't
eaten fast food, though: Pizza Hut and Taco Bell have been my stops of
last resort while traveling). I will take your word for it that Coke is
the beverage of choice with those foods, but in my limited experience
with fast food, I have been contented with (unsweetened) ice tea or
water. YMMV of course.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 9, 9:58�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Mike Tommasi wrote:
> > Martin Field wrote:
> >> I was just sent this delicious link:www.thisiswhyyourefat.com. As I
> >> salivated over the morbidly fascinating dishes I could only wonder
> >> what beverages people consumed with the trashy food. Thunderbird?
> >> Cola? Hydrochloric acid?

> > I learned this the hard way.

> > Despite my aversion to fast food, there are occasional situations, when
> > travelling, where you have no choice, eat trashy or starve. When
> > confronted with this, in a MISGUIDED attempt to keep my food intake as
> > untrashy as possible, I would do things like accompany the offending
> > proteins with something that seemed healthier, say, a glass of milk or
> > fruit juice, but nothing prevented me from terrible consequences on my
> > digestive system.

> > When doing fast food, voluntarily or under coercion or by necessity, do
> > it all the way or not at all. Burgers are inseparable from COKE: Coke is
> > the antidote, the antiseptic balancing force that MUST accompany fast
> > food. You can't have one without the other and expect a normal digestive
> > cycle.

> Here I must make several confessions. �I have never drunk a Coke or a
> Pepsi or any other soda; I have also never eaten at Mickey D's or Burger
> King or several other fast food purveyors (not to say that I haven't
> eaten fast food, though: Pizza Hut and Taco Bell have been my stops of
> last resort while traveling). �I will take your word for it that Coke is
> the beverage of choice with those foods, but in my limited experience
> with fast food, I have been contented with (unsweetened) ice tea or
> water. �YMMV of course.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net- Hide quoted text -

Wow. You may be the first American adult that I've encountered that's
never eaten at Mickey D's or had a Coke or any soft drink. Yikes.
Now I'm going to be puzzling over this all day. FWIW, IMHO, AFAIK,
IIRC, Mickey D's and Wendy's are a step up from Taco Bell. Dave
Thomas was a good friend and business partner of mine and he would be
rolling over in his grave at this confession!! :-)

Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:

> Wow. You may be the first American adult that I've encountered that's
> never eaten at Mickey D's or had a Coke or any soft drink. Yikes.
> Now I'm going to be puzzling over this all day.

The puzzle isn't too big, Bill. First of all, I grew up near Berkeley
in the '60s and McDonald's didn't have a foothold either there or in SF
until I was already in my early teens. I also grew up in a household
with a mother who was a proto-Slow Foodie and would have had kittens had
I gone to a fast food outlet. FWIW, I don't mention this to blow my own
horn or anything, but rather because it's such a big blind spot for me,
akin to my total ignorance about prime time TV programming over the past
3 decades.

> FWIW, IMHO, AFAIK,
> IIRC, Mickey D's and Wendy's are a step up from Taco Bell. Dave
> Thomas was a good friend and business partner of mine and he would be
> rolling over in his grave at this confession!! :-)

I have eaten at a Wendy's once or twice and agree that the choices are
better than at Taco Hell. But when you're doing the coast-to-coast on
I-70 and overnight in Salina, KS, don't expect to find a Wendy's waiting
for you ;-) From what I know of him, Dave Thomas was quite a remarkable
human being and admirable in many respects. And just to be clear,
here's the list of fast food franchises whose food I _have_ eaten:

Pizza Hut
Taco Bell
KFC
Subway
Dairy Queen
Wendy's
Hardee's

Undidactically yours,
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 9, 11:59*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
> > Wow. *You may be the first American adult that I've encountered that's
> > never eaten at Mickey D's or had a Coke or any soft drink. *Yikes.
> > Now I'm going to be puzzling over this all day.

> The puzzle isn't too big, Bill. *First of all, I grew up near Berkeley
> in the '60s and McDonald's didn't have a foothold either there or in SF
> until I was already in my early teens. *I also grew up in a household
> with a mother who was a proto-Slow Foodie and would have had kittens had
> I gone to a fast food outlet. *FWIW, I don't mention this to blow my own
> horn or anything, but rather because it's such a big blind spot for me,
> akin to my total ignorance about prime time TV programming over the past
> 3 decades.
>
> > FWIW, IMHO, AFAIK,
> > IIRC, Mickey D's and Wendy's are a step up from Taco Bell. *Dave
> > Thomas was a good friend and business partner of mine and he would be
> > rolling over in his grave at this confession!! *:-)

> I have eaten at a Wendy's once or twice and agree that the choices are
> better than at Taco Hell. *But when you're doing the coast-to-coast on
> I-70 and overnight in Salina, KS, don't expect to find a Wendy's waiting
> for you ;-) *From what I know of him, Dave Thomas was quite a remarkable
> human being and admirable in many respects. *And just to be clear,
> here's the list of fast food franchises whose food I _have_ eaten:
>
> Pizza Hut
> Taco Bell
> KFC
> Subway
> Dairy Queen
> Wendy's
> Hardee's
>
> Undidactically yours,
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I have a preference for Arby's and their roast beef sandwiches with
the horseradish sauce. I wash them down with the light lemonade, the
better to avoid so much belching! Subway is good once in a while, too.
If it was available, I would have a spicy Gewurztraminer with the food
from either place.

Dan-O
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Martin Field" > wrote in message
>I was just sent this delicious link: www.thisiswhyyourefat.com. As I
>salivated over the morbidly fascinating dishes I could only wonder what
>beverages people consumed with the trashy food. Thunderbird? Cola?
>Hydrochloric acid?
>
> I love the artistically arranged "bacon wrapped French toast sticks
> Stonehenge".
>
> Cheers!
>
> Martin

I do wonder how these concoctions come about. One can get fat easily by
eating simple foods, too; if it's calories one needs, pack a lunch of bread,
chocolate, cheese, preferably the best your money will buy for you. All go
well with a glass of wine.

DH read a few months ago about a "divine" sandwich made of olives (with
pimento), mayo, and peanut butter. When he wants a comfort food, these
ingredients are always on hand.

Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Dan the Man" > wrote in message
On Apr 9, 11:59 am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
> > Wow. You may be the first American adult that I've encountered that's
> > never eaten at Mickey D's or had a Coke or any soft drink. Yikes.
> > Now I'm going to be puzzling over this all day.

> The puzzle isn't too big, Bill. First of all, I grew up near Berkeley
> in the '60s and McDonald's didn't have a foothold either there or in SF
> until I was already in my early teens. I also grew up in a household
> with a mother who was a proto-Slow Foodie and would have had kittens had
> I gone to a fast food outlet. FWIW, I don't mention this to blow my own
> horn or anything, but rather because it's such a big blind spot for me,
> akin to my total ignorance about prime time TV programming over the past
> 3 decades.
>
> > FWIW, IMHO, AFAIK,
> > IIRC, Mickey D's and Wendy's are a step up from Taco Bell. Dave
> > Thomas was a good friend and business partner of mine and he would be
> > rolling over in his grave at this confession!! :-)

> I have eaten at a Wendy's once or twice and agree that the choices are
> better than at Taco Hell. But when you're doing the coast-to-coast on
> I-70 and overnight in Salina, KS, don't expect to find a Wendy's waiting
> for you ;-) From what I know of him, Dave Thomas was quite a remarkable
> human being and admirable in many respects. And just to be clear,
> here's the list of fast food franchises whose food I _have_ eaten:
>
> Pizza Hut
> Taco Bell
> KFC
> Subway
> Dairy Queen
> Wendy's
> Hardee's
>
> Undidactically yours,
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I have a preference for Arby's and their roast beef sandwiches with
the horseradish sauce. I wash them down with the light lemonade, the
better to avoid so much belching! Subway is good once in a while, too.
If it was available, I would have a spicy Gewurztraminer with the food
from either place.

Dan-O

Is "5 Guys" considered fast food yet -- no problem there stepping up and
ordering and waiting.
Only burgers, dogs and fries, and the usual vending machine assortment of
colas.
Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

Martin Field wrote:
> I was just sent this delicious link: www.thisiswhyyourefat.com. As I
> salivated over the morbidly fascinating dishes I could only wonder what
> beverages people consumed with the trashy food. Thunderbird? Cola?
> Hydrochloric acid?
>
> I love the artistically arranged "bacon wrapped French toast sticks
> Stonehenge".

Well, after steeling myself and looking through the gallary, I was
surprised not to see the now-infamous "Bacon Explosion":

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Some of those items were -- how to put this delicately? -- suitable
substitutes for ipecac IMHO ;-)

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 9, 11:59*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
> > Wow. *You may be the first American adult that I've encountered that's
> > never eaten at Mickey D's or had a Coke or any soft drink. *Yikes.
> > Now I'm going to be puzzling over this all day.

> The puzzle isn't too big, Bill. *First of all, I grew up near Berkeley
> in the '60s and McDonald's didn't have a foothold either there or in SF
> until I was already in my early teens. *I also grew up in a household
> with a mother who was a proto-Slow Foodie and would have had kittens had
> I gone to a fast food outlet. *FWIW, I don't mention this to blow my own
> horn or anything, but rather because it's such a big blind spot for me,
> akin to my total ignorance about prime time TV programming over the past
> 3 decades.
>
> > FWIW, IMHO, AFAIK,
> > IIRC, Mickey D's and Wendy's are a step up from Taco Bell. *Dave
> > Thomas was a good friend and business partner of mine and he would be
> > rolling over in his grave at this confession!! *:-)

> I have eaten at a Wendy's once or twice and agree that the choices are
> better than at Taco Hell. *But when you're doing the coast-to-coast on
> I-70 and overnight in Salina, KS, don't expect to find a Wendy's waiting
> for you ;-) *From what I know of him, Dave Thomas was quite a remarkable
> human being and admirable in many respects. *And just to be clear,
> here's the list of fast food franchises whose food I _have_ eaten:
>
> Pizza Hut
> Taco Bell
> KFC
> Subway
> Dairy Queen
> Wendy's
> Hardee's
>
> Undidactically yours,
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

So when someone finds "cola" flavors in a CA PN you haven't a clue
what they're talking about?

I generally only eat fast food on long drives, but then my preference
is usually Wendys or McDs. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell would probably be
last on a long list!

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> "Dan the Man" > wrote in message
> On Apr 9, 11:59 am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > Bi!! wrote:
> > > Wow. You may be the first American adult that I've encountered that's
> > > never eaten at Mickey D's or had a Coke or any soft drink. Yikes.
> > > Now I'm going to be puzzling over this all day.

> > The puzzle isn't too big, Bill. First of all, I grew up near Berkeley
> > in the '60s and McDonald's didn't have a foothold either there or in SF
> > until I was already in my early teens. I also grew up in a household
> > with a mother who was a proto-Slow Foodie and would have had kittens had
> > I gone to a fast food outlet. FWIW, I don't mention this to blow my own
> > horn or anything, but rather because it's such a big blind spot for me,
> > akin to my total ignorance about prime time TV programming over the past
> > 3 decades.
> >
> > > FWIW, IMHO, AFAIK,
> > > IIRC, Mickey D's and Wendy's are a step up from Taco Bell. Dave
> > > Thomas was a good friend and business partner of mine and he would be
> > > rolling over in his grave at this confession!! :-)

> > I have eaten at a Wendy's once or twice and agree that the choices are
> > better than at Taco Hell. But when you're doing the coast-to-coast on
> > I-70 and overnight in Salina, KS, don't expect to find a Wendy's waiting
> > for you ;-) From what I know of him, Dave Thomas was quite a remarkable
> > human being and admirable in many respects. And just to be clear,
> > here's the list of fast food franchises whose food I _have_ eaten:
> >
> > Pizza Hut
> > Taco Bell
> > KFC
> > Subway
> > Dairy Queen
> > Wendy's
> > Hardee's
> >
> > Undidactically yours,
> > Mark Lipton
> >
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> I have a preference for Arby's and their roast beef sandwiches with
> the horseradish sauce. I wash them down with the light lemonade, the
> better to avoid so much belching! Subway is good once in a while, too.
> If it was available, I would have a spicy Gewurztraminer with the food
> from either place.
>
> Dan-O
>

> Is "5 Guys" considered fast food yet -- no problem there stepping up and
> ordering and waiting.
> Only burgers, dogs and fries, and the usual vending machine assortment of
> colas.
> Dee Dee

Ah but you can take them home and have them with a Cheval Blanc.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 9, 11:59�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
> > Wow. �You may be the first American adult that I've encountered that's
> > never eaten at Mickey D's or had a Coke or any soft drink. �Yikes.
> > Now I'm going to be puzzling over this all day.

> The puzzle isn't too big, Bill. �First of all, I grew up near Berkeley
> in the '60s and McDonald's didn't have a foothold either there or in SF
> until I was already in my early teens. �I also grew up in a household
> with a mother who was a proto-Slow Foodie and would have had kittens had
> I gone to a fast food outlet. �FWIW, I don't mention this to blow my own
> horn or anything, but rather because it's such a big blind spot for me,
> akin to my total ignorance about prime time TV programming over the past
> 3 decades.
>
> > FWIW, IMHO, AFAIK,
> > IIRC, Mickey D's and Wendy's are a step up from Taco Bell. �Dave
> > Thomas was a good friend and business partner of mine and he would be
> > rolling over in his grave at this confession!! �:-)

> I have eaten at a Wendy's once or twice and agree that the choices are
> better than at Taco Hell. �But when you're doing the coast-to-coast on
> I-70 and overnight in Salina, KS, don't expect to find a Wendy's waiting
> for you ;-) �From what I know of him, Dave Thomas was quite a remarkable
> human being and admirable in many respects. �And just to be clear,
> here's the list of fast food franchises whose food I _have_ eaten:
>
> Pizza Hut
> Taco Bell
> KFC
> Subway
> Dairy Queen
> Wendy's
> Hardee's
>
> Undidactically yours,
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Whew, I feel a lot better now...! :-)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 9, 2:56�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article >,
> �"Dee Randall" > wrote:
>

> > "Dan the Man" > wrote in message

> > > The puzzle isn't too big, Bill. First of all, I grew up near Berkeley
> > > in the '60s and McDonald's didn't have a foothold either there or in SF
> > > until I was already in my early teens. I also grew up in a household
> > > with a mother who was a proto-Slow Foodie and would have had kittens had
> > > I gone to a fast food outlet. FWIW, I don't mention this to blow my own
> > > horn or anything, but rather because it's such a big blind spot for me,
> > > akin to my total ignorance about prime time TV programming over the past
> > > 3 decades.

> > > I have eaten at a Wendy's once or twice and agree that the choices are
> > > better than at Taco Hell. But when you're doing the coast-to-coast on
> > > I-70 and overnight in Salina, KS, don't expect to find a Wendy's waiting
> > > for you ;-) From what I know of him, Dave Thomas was quite a remarkable
> > > human being and admirable in many respects. And just to be clear,
> > > here's the list of fast food franchises whose food I _have_ eaten:

> > > Pizza Hut
> > > Taco Bell
> > > KFC
> > > Subway
> > > Dairy Queen
> > > Wendy's
> > > Hardee's

> > > Undidactically yours,
> > > Mark Lipton

> > > --
> > > alt.food.wine FAQ:http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> > I have a preference for Arby's and their roast beef sandwiches with
> > the horseradish sauce. I wash them down with the light lemonade, the
> > better to avoid so much belching! Subway is good once in a while, too.
> > If it was available, I would have a spicy Gewurztraminer with the food
> > from either place.

> > Dan-O

> > Is "5 Guys" considered fast food yet -- no problem there stepping up and
> > ordering and waiting.
> > Only burgers, dogs and fries, and the usual vending machine assortment of
> > colas.
> > Dee Dee

> Ah but you can take them home and have them with a Cheval Blanc.- Hide quoted text -

Good call. Interestingly enough, I met a friend for lunch today and
we split a smoked duck with hoisin and green onion wood fired pizza
with a bottle of 2005 Pousse D' Or Pommard "Jarolieres" which was
terrific. The sweetness of the hoisin brought out the minerality of
the Pommard and there was significant ripe fruit to stand up to the
bright flavors of the pizza.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> So when someone finds "cola" flavors in a CA PN you haven't a clue
> what they're talking about?

Nope. You can search all my notes, and I don't think you'll find a
single reference to cola in them. I've poached some ice cubes from
someone else's Coke, but all I could tell you is that it's gawdawful
sweet ;-)

> I generally only eat fast food on long drives, but then my preference
> is usually Wendys or McDs. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell would probably be
> last on a long list!

De gustibus. My bias is that I eat a lot more pizza and burritos than
burgers. Actually, my favorite fast foods are all non-chain: a good
brat or sausage with mustard, sauerkraut and onions; a good taco; a
falafel sandwich or even good pizza by-the-slice.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 9, 2:47*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > So when someone finds "cola" flavors in a CA PN you haven't a clue
> > what they're talking about?

> Nope. *You can search all my notes, and I don't think you'll find a
> single reference to cola in them. *I've poached some ice cubes from
> someone else's Coke, but all I could tell you is that it's gawdawful
> sweet ;->

I keep coke syrup and have a device to carbonate the water in 1 L
bottles. The syrup has a limited time to be used, once opened. Very
few stores sell the classic syrup to individuals. I have to buy mine
at a food supply store in the US West and have it shipped. The minimum
purchase is 2 gallons, and it comes in 1 gallon boxes much the same as
used for box wines. I pour one gallon in 1 qt bottles and freeze all
but one that I keep in the refrigerator. I freeze the second box.
Actually the syrup does not freeze even at 0 F, because of the
extremely high sugar content - high fructose corn syrup these days in
the US. Sucrose may still be used in some other countries. Much larger
containers of syrup are available for commercial bottling companies. I
don't drink much coke, but I know several people who do. Some even
like chocolate cokes, which were popular in some parts of the country
in the 1950s. When you add chocolate syrup to coke, you have something
really sweet. Also some like undiluted coke syrup as a topping for ice
cream.

> > I generally only eat fast food on long drives, but then my preference
> > is usually Wendys or McDs. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell would probably be
> > last on a long list!

> De gustibus. *My bias is that I eat a lot more pizza and burritos than
> burgers. *Actually, my favorite fast foods are all non-chain: a good
> brat or sausage with mustard, sauerkraut and onions; a good taco; a
> falafel sandwich or even good pizza by-the-slice.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Posted to alt.food.wine

cwdjrxyz wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2:47 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>> DaleW wrote:
>>> So when someone finds "cola" flavors in a CA PN you haven't a clue
>>> what they're talking about?

>> Nope. You can search all my notes, and I don't think you'll find a
>> single reference to cola in them. I've poached some ice cubes from
>> someone else's Coke, but all I could tell you is that it's gawdawful
>> sweet ;->

> I keep coke syrup and have a device to carbonate the water in 1 L
> bottles. The syrup has a limited time to be used, once opened. Very
> few stores sell the classic syrup to individuals. I have to buy mine
> at a food supply store in the US West and have it shipped. The minimum
> purchase is 2 gallons, and it comes in 1 gallon boxes much the same as
> used for box wines. I pour one gallon in 1 qt bottles and freeze all
> but one that I keep in the refrigerator. I freeze the second box.
> Actually the syrup does not freeze even at 0 F, because of the
> extremely high sugar content - high fructose corn syrup these days in
> the US. Sucrose may still be used in some other countries. Much larger
> containers of syrup are available for commercial bottling companies. I
> don't drink much coke, but I know several people who do. Some even
> like chocolate cokes, which were popular in some parts of the country
> in the 1950s. When you add chocolate syrup to coke, you have something
> really sweet. Also some like undiluted coke syrup as a topping for ice
> cream.

They've come out with a potion in Europe which is coke mixed with
coffee, presumably to up the jolt. I think it's called coke Black. I
tried it on a long drive when feeling sleepy, and it was nauseatingly
sweet. Truly awful. The only good news was I felt so nasty I was no
longer sleepy, so in that sense it worked.

-E

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 10, 7:42*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:

> extremely high sugar content - high fructose corn syrup these days in
> the US. Sucrose may still be used in some other countries.

Actually ,, I understand if you go looking this week, you can find
real sugar Coke in some stores (yellow cap).
Special kosher for passover cuvee!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 9, 1:37*pm, "Dee Randall" > wrote:
> "Dan the Man" > wrote in ...
> On Apr 9, 11:59 am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>

> > Bi!! wrote:
> > > Wow. You may be the first American adult that I've encountered that's
> > > never eaten at Mickey D's or had a Coke or any soft drink. Yikes.
> > > Now I'm going to be puzzling over this all day.

> > The puzzle isn't too big, Bill. First of all, I grew up near Berkeley
> > in the '60s and McDonald's didn't have a foothold either there or in SF
> > until I was already in my early teens. I also grew up in a household
> > with a mother who was a proto-Slow Foodie and would have had kittens had
> > I gone to a fast food outlet. FWIW, I don't mention this to blow my own
> > horn or anything, but rather because it's such a big blind spot for me,
> > akin to my total ignorance about prime time TV programming over the past
> > 3 decades.

> > > FWIW, IMHO, AFAIK,
> > > IIRC, Mickey D's and Wendy's are a step up from Taco Bell. Dave
> > > Thomas was a good friend and business partner of mine and he would be
> > > rolling over in his grave at this confession!! :-)

> > I have eaten at a Wendy's once or twice and agree that the choices are
> > better than at Taco Hell. But when you're doing the coast-to-coast on
> > I-70 and overnight in Salina, KS, don't expect to find a Wendy's waiting
> > for you ;-) From what I know of him, Dave Thomas was quite a remarkable
> > human being and admirable in many respects. And just to be clear,
> > here's the list of fast food franchises whose food I _have_ eaten:

> > Pizza Hut
> > Taco Bell
> > KFC
> > Subway
> > Dairy Queen
> > Wendy's
> > Hardee's

> > Undidactically yours,
> > Mark Lipton

> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ:http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> I have a preference for Arby's and their roast beef sandwiches with
> the horseradish sauce. I wash them down with the light lemonade, the
> better to avoid so much belching! Subway is good once in a while, too.
> If it was available, I would have a spicy Gewurztraminer with the food
> from either place.
>
> Dan-O
>
> Is "5 Guys" considered fast food yet -- no problem there stepping up and
> ordering and waiting.
> Only burgers, dogs and fries, and the usual vending machine assortment of
> colas.
> Dee Dee

Dee Dee,

I haven't been to a Five Guys before; there aren't any in my area. No
surprise, there - it was only a few years ago that IHOP and Outback
Steakhouse first showed up in Berks County!

Dan-O (same for Chili's)