Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pricing, publicity for wine sold by nonprofit charity at auction

I am the director of an interfaith nonprofit agency that helps the
elderly in our community, Faith in Action (http://
www.faithinaction4seniors.org). We are having an auction in about a
month, and we were donated what appears to be a pretty good bottle of
wine for the auction. It's a 1982 Chateau Las Cases. What I can gather
from google is that this bottle got a perfect score from both Berrys
and Robert Parker. It seems to sell on-line at about $700 - $1000.

While I appreciate a nice bottle of wine myself, this is completely
out of my league. I have worries that this bottle will not sell for
what it worth. Of the couple hundred people who might come to the
auction who know and love our little agency, will we have the folks
that understand that this is a valuable item?

Ideas on how to promote this so we get wine enthusiasts to come to
auction, so we can get the right price?

What do you think should be the minimum price we should accept for
this bottle?

Thank you for your advice.

Warm Regards,
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Claire" > wrote in message
>I am the director of an interfaith nonprofit agency that helps the
> elderly in our community, Faith in Action (http://
> www.faithinaction4seniors.org). We are having an auction in about a
> month, and we were donated what appears to be a pretty good bottle of
> wine for the auction. It's a 1982 Chateau Las Cases. What I can gather
> from google is that this bottle got a perfect score from both Berrys
> and Robert Parker. It seems to sell on-line at about $700 - $1000.
>
> While I appreciate a nice bottle of wine myself, this is completely
> out of my league. I have worries that this bottle will not sell for
> what it worth. Of the couple hundred people who might come to the
> auction who know and love our little agency, will we have the folks
> that understand that this is a valuable item?
>
> Ideas on how to promote this so we get wine enthusiasts to come to
> auction, so we can get the right price?
>
> What do you think should be the minimum price we should accept for
> this bottle?
>
> Thank you for your advice.
>
> Warm Regards,

I think a wine of that caliber is best sold on consignment. The consigner
takes his commission and cost of marketing and you receive the remainder. In
the SF Bay Area there are a number that do it. I think most of the marketing
is done online. These, from K&L in SF, pretty much have to be consignment
wines. I wouldn't sell it at auction.
http://www.klwines.com/content.asp?N...k=search%5Fall

Good Luck

Ther

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 15, 6:27*pm, Claire > wrote:
> I am the director of an interfaith nonprofit agency that helps the
> elderly in our community, Faith in Action (http://www.faithinaction4seniors.org). We are having an auction in about a
> month, and we were donated what appears to be a pretty good bottle of
> wine for the auction. It's a 1982 Chateau Las Cases. What I can gather
> from google is that this bottle got a perfect score from both Berrys
> and Robert Parker. It seems to sell on-line at about $700 - $1000.
>
> While I appreciate a nice bottle of wine myself, this is completely
> out of my league. I have worries that this bottle will not sell for
> what it worth. Of the couple hundred people who might come to the
> auction who know and love our little agency, will we have the folks
> that understand that this is a *valuable item?
>
> Ideas on how to promote this so we get wine enthusiasts to come to
> auction, so we can get the right price?
>
> What do you think should be the minimum price we should accept for
> this bottle?
>
> Thank you for your advice.
>
> Warm Regards,

You mean Ch. Leoville Las Cases? Label will say something like Grand
Vin de Leoville du Marquis de Las Cases, Saint Julien

If so, it is a very expensive wine. Though I'd say typical prices are
more $400-500,. and that might be a little high in current economy.

I'm the ED of a non-profit that works with the homeless, and have been
to many charity auctions. First of all, while a general audience might
not be as wine savvy, the urge to help the cause tends to increase
bids. My bid of $400 for a couple of '82 Gruauds (about retail) lost
out at a church benefit not long ago.

Another factor of course is bottle condition and storage history.

My suggestions:
If a silent auction, print out some retailer offers for the '82 LLC,
so your donors know how much it costs. If a live auction, have
auctioneer give a description, maybe read a Parker TN.

Got any great cooks as volunteers? Consider pairing it with a meal.
I've donated the wines to be served with a friend's cooking for a
couple auctions. The thought of a "Perfect Parker" wine with a dinner
for 6 might get you $1000+

Try your local paper for a food writer, maybe he could put you in
touch with some local wine groups.

I'd start bidding at $300 if just the wine, assuming in good
condition'

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > skrev i melding news:9b8fc78d-50c4-4acb-a279-
>I'd start bidding at $300 if just the wine, assuming in good
>condition'

Dale knows a lot about this and my only thought is that if you can find out
about the history of the bottle (where it has been, i.e. how well it was
stored) from 1983, when the wine was bottled, till today,
then you may reach top price, if not, then 200USD may be the best you can
hope for.
(In my opinion 400USD is about correct value of the bottle - anything above
is price gouging...)

Anders