Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Lunch notes - Sadie, Copain, Telegraphe, Banfi, Gilette

February blind tasting lunch notes

2006 Eben Sadie Palladius – this South African wine had us looking all
over the world trying to place it. Part of the reason may be that it
is a blend of Viognier, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc & Grenache Blanc.
Peach and lemon nose, full and flavourful with lively acid.

2000 Copain Pinot Noir Hein Vd. – clearly a pinot by the nose, fairly
deep colour, rather Burgundian but without the complexity and with
more stuffing, so we did arrive at US, then CA. Smooth and clean in
the mouth with a bit more oak than a Burg. Deft touch in the winery on
this one – well made.

1983 Chasse Spleen – we had a great deal of difficulty trying to nail
down the vintage on this and tried just about every possible 80s
vintage before asking about 1983 in desperation. It showed a dusty
funky nose that cleaned up only a little with time in the glass.
Mature Bordeaux in the mouth, good feel, drying a bit at the end, and
still carrying surprising tannin. Won’t improve, but very decent now.

1998 Griffin Creek (Rogue Valley) – a blended wine from Oregon, made
from 97% merlot and 3% syrah. Cocoa tomato nose, bit lean but still
tasty.

1995 Clos de Cazeaux Vacqueyras – unusual chocolate and raspberry
nose, rather sweet, and the wine showed a blue tint to the colour.
Pretty big in frame, some tannin, but now mature – interesting and
very hard to pick as a Rhone.

1993 Vieux Telegraphe CNduP – an even more unusual nose of tinned
tomatoes from a nicely balanced wine with good fruit and length. Also
mature but will hold.

1999 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino Pogio al Oro – this one was
instant Tuscan sangio to me and I got to Brunello quickly. Good fruit
and a lingering sweetness in the finish, this was a good showing.
Maybe time for me to dig out my 88 Oro!

2000 Mastroberardino Radici Taurasi – 100% Aglianico grapes, aged in
oak, gives a dark wine with a warm smoky fruity nose, nice and smooth
on palate with soft tannins good length and clean acidity. Although
this is drinking beautifully today, I got the impression it would also
last well.

1985 Ch. Gilette – this Sauternes producer is unusual in that they age
their wine in cement tanks for many years (20 to 30) before bottling
and release very late. I believe they only recently released their
1986 for sale. Modest botrytis, light gold colour, bit of pineapple
and pear, and excellent long finish. Lovely wine!

Feb. Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 0 05-02-2012 04:34 PM
Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 0 01-07-2011 10:59 PM
May Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 1 27-05-2010 09:11 PM
More Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 0 17-05-2010 03:06 PM
Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 6 01-03-2007 01:25 PM