Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Lovely Soave

Last night I took David to JFK for his flight back to UK, and picked
up pizza Betsy has ordered on way home. Cellar is a bit cool for
immediately serving reds, so went with a white, the 2005 Pieropan
"Calvarino" Soave Classico. I've long been a fan of the basic
Pieropan. I've tried the La Rocca, found it well-done but not worth
the considerable extra money for my tastes, I think subconsciously I
put the Calvarino in same category though I had never tried. But some
notes by the esteemed Florida Jim made me reconsider. I'm really glad
I did. This is a really lovely bottle of wine. Just the faintest hint
of spritz, beautiful clean pear and apple fruit, wet rocks in the
forest. Like standing next to a mountain stream. With time a little
lemon and tropical fruits. Excellent length, nice concentration,
medium-bodied with an acidic backbone, really excellent wine for $22.
Jim says this can age, but I find it so lovely now, why wait. A-

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Last night I took David to JFK for his flight back to UK, and picked
> up pizza Betsy has ordered on way home. Cellar is a bit cool for
> immediately serving reds, so went with a white, the 2005 Pieropan
> "Calvarino" Soave Classico. I've long been a fan of the basic
> Pieropan. I've tried the La Rocca, found it well-done but not worth
> the considerable extra money for my tastes, I think subconsciously I
> put the Calvarino in same category though I had never tried. But some
> notes by the esteemed Florida Jim made me reconsider. I'm really glad
> I did. This is a really lovely bottle of wine. Just the faintest hint
> of spritz, beautiful clean pear and apple fruit, wet rocks in the
> forest. Like standing next to a mountain stream. With time a little
> lemon and tropical fruits. Excellent length, nice concentration,
> medium-bodied with an acidic backbone, really excellent wine for $22.
> Jim says this can age, but I find it so lovely now, why wait. A-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> *

I had this recently with a smoked salmon pizza. Nice bottle and good
match.

TN: 2 Corsicans in one week! Plus Soave and SLB DaleW Wine 0 10-10-2014 08:01 PM
TN: Soave, Lazio, and Napa DaleW Wine 0 08-05-2012 10:06 PM
TN: Soave (almost) and Bourgogne DaleW Wine 0 15-09-2010 06:01 PM
Soave general question Joseph Coulter[_7_] Wine 9 06-02-2009 01:16 PM
TN: Corbieres, Soave, and 01/02 Bordeaux Dale Williams Wine 0 16-11-2003 12:57 AM