Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1995 St. Halletts Old Block Shiraz

SWMBO forgot to thaw a couple of steaks for Friday night dinner, so I
was deputed to make dinner as well as dig up the end of week bottle.

I grabbed a pork tenderloin, and threw some pasta on to cook. Sautee
the pork, sliced into medallions, then deglaze with a little cognac,
add some chopped capers, parsley, pepper, and 100 ml. or so of
whipping cream, and you end up with a caper cream sauced pork on
pasta. Thing I needed to do was decide what went with that - big
white, light red.....or...

I went for a mature Aussie Shiraz, which probably wouldn't have been
anyone's first thought, but it worked out well.

Garnet colour showed the age, but not browning at the edges yet.
Slightly sweet syrah nose, and on palate good acidity, a soft velvety
feel and still some supple tannin. Very good length. This is the sort
of Austalian Shiraz I enjoy - not a fruit bomb, not over the top, not
just a sweet juicy whizbang, faded in 5 years. Pity so many we get in
this market are the whizbang sort with no lasting power, unlike this
one.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi Bill,

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:05:26 -0800 (PST), "Bill S." >
wrote:

>feel and still some supple tannin. Very good length. This is the sort
>of Austalian Shiraz I enjoy - not a fruit bomb, not over the top, not
>just a sweet juicy whizbang, faded in 5 years. Pity so many we get in
>this market are the whizbang sort with no lasting power, unlike this
>one.

Jacquie & I were amazed by our visit to St Hallet's. Of all the Shiraz
we tasted that one (Old Block), and the Blackwall, which was very
close indeed in quality, but quite a bit less expensive.

I only wish we could have brought some back with us.

--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Posted to alt.food.wine

Not sure you would have fooled anyone in France with the Old Block,
but it would certainly have given them another perspective!

BTW, it is possible I may be in France again next Spring - will keep
in touch if there is a possibility of another multi-national get-
together and sip fest!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Wotcha Bill,

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:58:04 -0800 (PST), "Bill S." >
wrote:

>Not sure you would have fooled anyone in France with the Old Block,
>but it would certainly have given them another perspective!

Sod fooling people, all I'd want to do is to give myself the pleasure
of drinking te stuff when it is fully ready. In fact I'm often quite
reticent about where I cast my vinous pearls!

>BTW, it is possible I may be in France again next Spring - will keep
>in touch if there is a possibility of another multi-national get-
>together and sip fest!

Sounds fun. You know you'll be very welcome.
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges

TN: 1995 Auxey DaleW Wine 2 18-03-2008 06:07 PM
1995 Bordeaux [email protected] Wine 8 19-12-2006 01:45 PM
1995 Bordeaux Bill S. Wine 2 30-05-2006 07:18 PM
1995 Antinori Bill Spohn Wine 0 24-03-2004 04:18 AM