FoodBanter.com

-   -   WTN: OZ, NZ, Spain, and Italy (all inexpensive) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/162090-wtn-oz-nz-spain.html)

DaleW 28-09-2008 03:50 PM

WTN: OZ, NZ, Spain, and Italy (all inexpensive)

Saturday we went to a friend's 40th bday party, at the clubhouse of
their complex. A nice spread of sushi, charcuterie, dips, spreads, and
more; some wines I tasted included:

2007 Las Brisas Rueda
Light and easy, quiet citrus flavors, pleasant. B-

2006 Discovery Sauvignon Blanc
Grass and gooseberry, good fruit base, a little acrid, already
seeming just a tad tired. B-/C+

2006 Black Swan Cabernet Sauvignon
Ugh. Sweet, short, and sweet. Not a geeky party where you look for a
dump bucket, I choose to "forget" my glass on an end table. C/C-

2005 Peter Lehmann Shiraz (Barossa)
This is also sweet, but there is a bit of structure, and the finish
isn't bad for an inexpensive Shiraz. B-

We had to leave party early as I had a quick stop at office to make,
when we got home we decided we needed more sustenance, and ordered a
pizza. Opened the 2004 Feudo Montoni Nero d’Avola. Just a little hint
of oak, ripe black cherries and a bit of tobacco. Some earth and
mineral on finish. *Light but firm tannins, good acidity to go with
the pizza. B+/B

*