FoodBanter.com

-   -   [TN] '70 LLC (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/161984-tn-70-llc.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 26-09-2008 03:30 AM

[TN] '70 LLC

Jean had purchased a lovely leg of lamb recently, so tonight I roasted
it with slivers of garlic inserted into cuts and olive oil rubbed on the
outside. With the meat, rice, sauteed green beans and salad, I opened:

1970 Leoville Las Cases St. Julien
color: garnet at the center going orange at the rim
nose: aromatic, pencil lead, flowers, tar, dark fruit
palate: medium body, rich fruit, high acidity

This very youthful wine was a pleasure to drink and accompanied the lamb
grandly. This was part of a fairly recent auction purchase shared with
Dale, and it lived up to all its expectations and more. The cork was
sound, but saturated, and crumbled as it was extracted. 12% ABV and
imported by Dietz Liquor of Wauwatosa, WI. All in all, a very
satisfying Bordeaux.

Mark Lipton

John T 26-09-2008 08:42 AM

[TN] '70 LLC

> 1970 Leoville Las Cases St. Julien
> color: garnet at the center going orange at the rim
> nose: aromatic, pencil lead, flowers, tar, dark fruit
> palate: medium body, rich fruit, high acidity

Ah! a trip down memory lane, my first ever LLC, bought adozen bottles at my
first wine auction, cannot remember the price, but it was about 1980. Always
a stunning wine, but not quite up the Latour.

JT

Emery Davis[_2_] 26-09-2008 12:32 PM

[TN] '70 LLC

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Jean had purchased a lovely leg of lamb recently, so tonight I roasted
> it with slivers of garlic inserted into cuts and olive oil rubbed on the
> outside. With the meat, rice, sauteed green beans and salad, I opened:
>
> 1970 Leoville Las Cases St. Julien
> color: garnet at the center going orange at the rim
> nose: aromatic, pencil lead, flowers, tar, dark fruit
> palate: medium body, rich fruit, high acidity
>
> This very youthful wine was a pleasure to drink and accompanied the lamb
> grandly. This was part of a fairly recent auction purchase shared with
> Dale, and it lived up to all its expectations and more. The cork was
> sound, but saturated, and crumbled as it was extracted. 12% ABV and
> imported by Dietz Liquor of Wauwatosa, WI. All in all, a very
> satisfying Bordeaux.

Sounds great. I remember this but haven't had since early 90s. It
was terrific then, too. I'll bet its even better now! ;)

Hope Andrew got to taste! (Assuming he's learned to spit ;))

-E

DaleW 26-09-2008 12:36 PM

'70 LLC

On Sep 25, 10:30�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Jean had purchased a lovely leg of lamb recently, so tonight I roasted
> it with slivers of garlic inserted into cuts and olive oil rubbed on the
> outside. �With the meat, rice, sauteed green beans and salad, I opened:
>
> 1970 Leoville Las Cases St. Julien
> color: garnet at the center going orange at the rim
> nose: aromatic, pencil lead, flowers, tar, dark fruit
> palate: medium body, rich fruit, high acidity
>
> This very youthful wine was a pleasure to drink and accompanied the lamb
> grandly. �This was part of a fairly recent auction purchase shared with
> Dale, and it lived up to all its expectations and more. �The cork was
> sound, but saturated, and crumbled as it was extracted. �12% ABV and
> imported by Dietz Liquor of Wauwatosa, WI. �All in all, a very
> satisfying Bordeaux.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

thanks for notes, look forward to reporting on mine!

Bill S. 26-09-2008 09:32 PM

'70 LLC

There you've gone and done it again! Drunk up an eminently suitable
lunch wine for the next time you come to Vancouver.

I have just the wine to go with it, too - a 1975 Las Cases!