Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Rueda, St Emilion, PTG

Wednesday was a no-wine day, I spent the evening getting soaked in a
deluge in city, decided to dry off and go to sleep rather than a
nightcap. Thursday I was a bit pooped, had takeout ribs and the 2002
Michel Lafarge Bourgogne Passetoutgrains. This has put on some weight
over last year or two, and the PN characteristics are more pronounced
(or in Beaujolais I guess they would say the Gamay has begun to
pinotte). Nice concentration, black and red cherries, a little spice,
a lot of earth. Good acidity, perfectly ripe fruit. Very good for
level. Could easily pass for say a Savigny B+

Friday a friend came by to trade some wines, it was hot and I grabbed
a white from fridge, the 2007 Ipsum (Rueda). Grapefruit and pear, with
a real grassy edge. The latter made me think it probably has some
Sauvignon Blanc, but label says I'm wrong- 60% Verdejo, 40% Viura. OK
as a quick cold drink, but even for a lighter styled wine this could
stand to pack a little more concentration. Decent, but not going back
for more. B-

Dinner was on the grill- a porterhouse, squash, corn, and salad (ok,
so salad wasn't grilled). Wine was the 2001 Ch. Faugeres (St Emilion).
I had liked its little brother the Cap de Faugeres, but drank mine up.
Was holding on to this, but some recent notes saying the CdF was
cracking up made me decide to give this a try. Lush soft nose of
kirsch and coffee, the tannins are still rather firm. Low-acid, the
fruit is definitely turned towards the overripe end of spectrum. I can
drink a glass or two with the steak buffering the tannins, but find it
unappealing by itself. Not sure exactly where this is going. The
tannins need time, but the almost roasted/jammy fruit profile is not
one I tend to like to age. Not unhappy this was only one I had. B-/C+

This was posted to alt.food.wine, a Usenet newsgroup. If you are
reading this on a "wine forum" that claims it has active forums, it's
just a sleazy site that steals posts. All replies should be to the
original post at alt.food.wine. For older posts, Google archives
nearly all of Usenet back several years.

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Wednesday was a no-wine day, I spent the evening getting soaked in a
> deluge in city, decided to dry off and go to sleep rather than a
> nightcap. Thursday I was a bit pooped, had takeout ribs and the 2002
> Michel Lafarge Bourgogne Passetoutgrains. This has put on some weight
> over last year or two, and the PN characteristics are more pronounced
> (or in Beaujolais I guess they would say the Gamay has begun to
> pinotte). Nice concentration, black and red cherries, a little spice,
> a lot of earth. Good acidity, perfectly ripe fruit. Very good for
> level. Could easily pass for say a Savigny B+
>
> Friday a friend came by to trade some wines, it was hot and I grabbed
> a white from fridge, the 2007 Ipsum (Rueda). Grapefruit and pear, with
> a real grassy edge. The latter made me think it probably has some
> Sauvignon Blanc, but label says I'm wrong- 60% Verdejo, 40% Viura. OK
> as a quick cold drink, but even for a lighter styled wine this could
> stand to pack a little more concentration. Decent, but not going back
> for more. B-
>
> Dinner was on the grill- a porterhouse, squash, corn, and salad (ok,
> so salad wasn't grilled). Wine was the 2001 Ch. Faugeres (St Emilion).
> I had liked its little brother the Cap de Faugeres, but drank mine up.
> Was holding on to this, but some recent notes saying the CdF was
> cracking up made me decide to give this a try. Lush soft nose of
> kirsch and coffee, the tannins are still rather firm. Low-acid, the
> fruit is definitely turned towards the overripe end of spectrum. I can
> drink a glass or two with the steak buffering the tannins, but find it
> unappealing by itself. Not sure exactly where this is going. The
> tannins need time, but the almost roasted/jammy fruit profile is not
> one I tend to like to age. Not unhappy this was only one I had. B-/C+
>
> This was posted to alt.food.wine, a Usenet newsgroup. If you are
> reading this on a "wine forum" that claims it has active forums, it's
> just a sleazy site that steals posts. All replies should be to the
> original post at alt.food.wine. For older posts, Google archives
> nearly all of Usenet back several years.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> *

Thanks for the notes Dale. As always with a lighter tinge. I have the
Cap de Faugeres from 1999 that we opened Thursday with a rack of lamb. A
bit thin for my taste. I did not get jam but some chocolate covered
cherries in the nose and the taste but it seemed to evaporate fast. I
bought 3 and that was the last one. But I have heard good things about
the 2005.

TN: 2 Bordeaux, 1 Rueda DaleW Wine 0 13-06-2009 10:20 PM
Rueda in NYT DaleW Wine 1 05-03-2008 10:15 PM
TN Freisa and Rueda DaleW Wine 1 13-08-2007 05:20 PM
TN: 01 Kab, Rueda, 2 inexpensive Burgs Dale Williams Wine 10 23-11-2004 05:06 PM
TN: Franciacorta, Rueda, St. Emilion Dale Williams Wine 0 17-12-2003 08:04 PM