Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 3 wines (Alsace, Bdx, Macon)

With sausage, leftover pasta, and young arugula the 2005 Trimbach
Riesling (Alsace). A bit less austere than some vintages of this basic
bottling, dry with peach and apple fruit. A little hint of petrol.*
Good acidity, not a lot of depth but a solid bottle of $14 Alsace
Riesling. B

We grilled some corn and thick porterhouses, accompanied by some
leftover broccoli and a salad with heirloom tomatoes. Wine was the
1999 Leoville Poyferre (St. Julien). This is a fairly forward and ripe
Poyferre, I'm not sure how much of that is the stylistic change since
mid-90s and how much is the ripe style of the vintage. Cassis laced
with espresso, little notes of cigar tobacco and lead pencil. Gets
some soil/earth notes with time. Not "classic" Bordeaux, but a nice
bottle of ripe Cabernet that still shows its roots. B+

Last night we did lemon/herb Cornish game hens on the grill, with
asparagus and a salad with grilled peaches and shallots. The wine was
the 2005 Texier "Tres Vieille Vignes" Macon-Bussieres. This is one
lovely bottle of Chardonnay. Rich and deep fruit balanced by good
acidity. Palate reminds me of perfectly ripe pears dressed in lemon
juice. Minerals, earth, and a little nuttiness. Excellent
concentration and length. I'd call it atypical for Maconnais, but
quite delicious. None available on Winesearcher, will put an alert on
and keep an eye out. A-

*