Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Cellartracker (cellar management)

WOFW did a feature by Jamie Goode on cellar management software, if
anyone surprised Cellartracker was the clear frontrunner?
http://www.cellartracker.com/WFW20GoodeUnderground.pdf
Congratulations to Eric.

Last month CT added a couple new features:

1) I like the "Favorite Author" feature, which is either new or I just
discovered recently. I've always put MUCH more weight in notes from
people I've tasted with or recognize from posts on various fora, if I
feel I have a sense of their tastes. With wines with dozen+ notes, if
I see a couple are from "favorites", I can concentrate on those more
meaningful (to me) ones.

2) They integrated John Gilman's View from the Cellar. If one is a co-
subscriber, one can view John's notes on wines he's reviewed.
Previously one would have to search the VFTC pdfs ("let's see, was
Mugnier in part 1 or part 2 of the 2004 Burg reviews?"). If you are a
CT user and would like to do a trial subscription, John is offering 2
weeks e-trial. I don't think that gets you the in-depth producer
profile articles, that comes with a full subscription.

Gilman is probably the most "opinonated" critic out there, he really
hates what he regards as spoofed and doesn't hestitate to give well-
known wines scores in the 60s. Personally, I find JG's notes work well
for me in Burgundy, Loire, Germany. I'm less in tune for some younger
Bordeaux and Italians, but I still find value. I'm more receptive to
"modern" styles than Gilman, but it's generally a matter of my liking
wines he doesn't (Angelus). But if he like a wine, I generally also do
(except maybe with older Champagnes, the one area I'm more narrow in
tastes than he is).I've also found that I generally like the older
wines he likes, and his vintage retrospective notes on 62/64/66/70/79
Bordeaux have led me to a couple of bargains, likewise on 60s/70s
CalCabs and "off-vintage" Burgs.

I have no affiliation with CT or VFTC except as a user/client, though
I sometimes taste with John (I once managed to get 4 wines into the
Roadkill section- I still consider him a friend).
Posted to alt.food.wine

> WOFW did a feature by Jamie Goode on cellar management software, if
> anyone surprised Cellartracker was the clear frontrunner?
> http://www.cellartracker.com/WFW20GoodeUnderground.pdf
> Congratulations to Eric.

I have used CT for three years and IMHO is essential for any serious wine
holder.

of course I have no affilation with CT except I subscribe

JT

Posted to alt.food.wine

"John T" > writes:

> > WOFW did a feature by Jamie Goode on cellar management software, if
> > anyone surprised Cellartracker was the clear frontrunner?
> > http://www.cellartracker.com/WFW20GoodeUnderground.pdf
> > Congratulations to Eric.

> I have used CT for three years and IMHO is essential for any serious wine
> holder.

I don't know if it is essential, after all people did without it in
the past. But I'm incredibly grateful for it!

Cellartracker reports Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 2 16-06-2016 07:26 PM
British Beer Company Receives Fuller's Cellar Management Certification [email protected] Beer 0 01-08-2007 04:02 AM
Temperature Management rshepard@twodogs-dot-us Barbecue 21 06-07-2006 01:57 PM
Cellartracker DaleW Wine 0 16-12-2005 03:41 PM
Cellar Management Andrew Goldfinch Wine 12 31-01-2005 12:07 AM