Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Loire, Emilia-Romagna, Rueda

Yippee, summer's here, and with it concerts in the park by the river.
Betsy, David and I packed a picnic, headed to river, met friends,
listened to Brazilian jazz, and enjoyed a gorgeous evening last
night.

With some assorted salumi and a "summer bagna cauda" (from a touching
article in NYT mag couple weeks ago:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/ma...l?ref=magazine
)
the 2006 Ceci " La Luna" Lambrusco. From what I gathered from
little Italian booklet (I read no Italian), this is bio-dynamic
Lambrusco. I need no translation to know it's my style of Lambrusco.
Dense color, frothy bubbles, grapey and floral. Raspberries and plums,
some earth. Has that lambrusco bitter-sweet finish. Sometimes people
are taken aback by bubbly reds,.but this is a hit with all who taste. B
+, A for its class.

With a seafood salad (I had grilled the squid, Betsy handled the clams
and mussels) and an orzo/feta salad, the 2006 El Porro Verde (Rueda).
Well, it's a better match for seafood salad than the bubbly red, but
that's about as far as I'll go. Nothing offensive, but a little light,
a little thin, a little short. Basic grapefruit citrus flavors, a
little grass. Probably better by itself icecold when really hot out.
B-/C+

While bouncing around crowd I run into Fred. He tries the Ceci, and
pours me the 2006 Clos Roche Blanche Gamay (Touraine). I immediately
get the floral/herby thing I call "potted plant" , ubiquitous to me in
Loire Gamay, but it is background and not dominant. Good acidity,
clean fruit, nice lithe structure. That potted plant thing keeps me
from loving this, but I like more than previous tasting. B

Great night: beautiful weather, sunset over the Palisades, friends,
the woman I love, yippee.

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 26, 12:52�pm, santiago > wrote:
> DaleW > wrote in news:21830fbb-4096-46af-91fc-
> :
>

> > 2006 El Porro Verde (Rueda).

> LOL.
>
> I suppose you mean 2006 El Perro Verde (green dog like in "you are as weird
> as a green dog"). "Porro" is spanish slang for "joint/spliff" according to
> wordreference.
>
> All the best,
>
> S.

I guess that's why I was met with hostility in Spain when I asked
where I could get a Perro to smoke...
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 26, 12:52�pm, santiago > wrote:
> DaleW > wrote in news:21830fbb-4096-46af-91fc-
> :
>

> > 2006 El Porro Verde (Rueda).

> LOL.
>
> I suppose you mean 2006 El Perro Verde (green dog like in "you are as weird
> as a green dog"). "Porro" is spanish slang for "joint/spliff" according to
> wordreference.
>
> All the best,
>
> S.

Oops, thanks for correction, I just checked, you're right. (insert red-
faced smiley)
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> On Jun 26, 12:52?pm, santiago > wrote:
> > DaleW > wrote in news:21830fbb-4096-46af-91fc-
> > :
> >

> > > 2006 El Porro Verde (Rueda).

> > LOL.
> >
> > I suppose you mean 2006 El Perro Verde (green dog like in "you are as weird
> > as a green dog"). "Porro" is spanish slang for "joint/spliff" according to
> > wordreference.
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > S.

> I guess that's why I was met with hostility in Spain when I asked
> where I could get a Perro to smoke...

Unless you really enjoy smoked dog):

WTN: Burgundy, Loire, Champagne, Saar, Sicily, Loire, SLO DaleW Wine 7 09-10-2013 02:47 PM
Rueda in NYT DaleW Wine 1 05-03-2008 10:15 PM
TN Finger Lakes, California, Emilia-Romagna DaleW Wine 4 11-09-2007 07:53 PM
TN Freisa and Rueda DaleW Wine 1 13-08-2007 05:20 PM
TN: Bdx, Loire, Tuscany, Rueda, etc DaleW Wine 0 04-12-2006 02:17 PM