FoodBanter.com

-   -   FAQ Bourgogne v.0.9 [LONG] (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/156555-re-faq-bourgogne-v.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 04-06-2008 05:01 PM

FAQ Bourgogne v.0.9 [LONG]

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:

<SNIP>

Many, many thanks for this, Nils. There's a ton of useful information
here, and with a little reformatting should fit nicely into the wine
tourism section. The one addition that I feel is needed is a general
introduction to Bourgogne: division into Côtes de
Nuits/Beaune/Chalonnais/Mconnais, names of villages, discussion of
vineyards (morcellation, GC/PC/village/generic classifications) in
addition to your excellent advice about visiting vignerons. I'd be
happy to write the extraneous verbiage unless you'd prefer to do it.

Mark Lipton

DaleW 04-06-2008 05:14 PM

FAQ Bourgogne v.0.9 [LONG]

On Jun 4, 12:01�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Many, many thanks for this, Nils. �There's a ton of useful information
> here, and with a little reformatting should fit nicely into the wine
> tourism section. �The one addition that I feel is needed is a general
> introduction to Bourgogne: division into C�tes de
> Nuits/Beaune/Chalonnais/M�connais, names of villages, discussion of
> vineyards (morcellation, GC/PC/village/generic classifications) in
> addition to your excellent advice about visiting vignerons. �I'd be
> happy to write the extraneous verbiage unless you'd prefer to do it.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

I thought I knew a little about Burgundy, but the word morcellation is
totally new to me! I must read this FAQ when its out!

Mark Lipton[_1_] 04-06-2008 06:34 PM

FAQ Bourgogne v.0.9 [LONG]

Mike Tommasi wrote:

>> I thought I knew a little about Burgundy, but the word morcellation is
>> totally new to me! I must read this FAQ when its out!

> I think it's a very elegant example of "franglais" that Nils is offering
> us. "Morceler" is the french verb describing when something gets
> parceled or split into small bits. From there to the english neologism
> "morcelation" was a very short step for our polyglot scandic friend. And
> very clever indeed, a hybrid of french "morceler" and the english
> "parcel". Brilliant. But should have head examined by a shrink.

Please don't blame Nils for this, Mike. 'Twas little ol' monoglot moi,
employing a term that I've encountered before, describing the division
of a vineyard into smaller parcels owned by different individuals. It's
actually valid English, believe it or not, usually used in a medical
context, but also found in vinous context, as in this example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_Lynch-Moussas

Sorry! I didn't realize how obscure the term was...

Mark Lipton

Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] 04-06-2008 07:23 PM

FAQ Bourgogne v.0.9 [LONG]

"Mark Lipton" > skrev i meddelandet
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Many, many thanks for this, Nils. There's a ton of useful information
> here, and with a little reformatting should fit nicely into the wine
> tourism section. The one addition that I feel is needed is a general
> introduction to Bourgogne: division into Côtes de
> Nuits/Beaune/Chalonnais/Mconnais, names of villages, discussion of
> vineyards (morcellation, GC/PC/village/generic classifications) in
> addition to your excellent advice about visiting vignerons. I'd be happy
> to write the extraneous verbiage unless you'd prefer to do it.

Mark, thank you for your kind words.
In fact, concerning your suggestion, I had started on that when I got the
impression that it was, strictloy speaking, not called for - however, I wil
gladly delve into that, will not take long I think - we are having a holiday
so there might be some spare time.

Cheers

Nils

Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] 04-06-2008 07:26 PM

FAQ Bourgogne v.0.9 [LONG]

<...> Sorry about thinking it was Nils. Besides why would he need a shrink?

A shrink? Moi? _I_ wouldn't have anything to do with a shrink. _I_ know
exactly how barmy they can get. Physicians are a strange crowd at best, one
should have as little as possible to do with them; the psychiatrists are the
worst of the lot.
<winks HUGELY>
Cheers
Nils

cwdjrxyz 04-06-2008 08:27 PM

FAQ Bourgogne v.0.9 [LONG]

On Jun 4, 1:26 pm, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> <...> Sorry about thinking it was Nils. Besides why would he need a shrink?
>
> A shrink? Moi? _I_ wouldn't have anything to do with a shrink. _I_ know
> exactly how barmy they can get. Physicians are a strange crowd at best, one
> should have as little as possible to do with them; the psychiatrists are the
> worst of the lot.
> <winks HUGELY>

I have not known any shrinks well. For the most part they seemed
rather normal, but who can tell what they might do in private :-).
However I knew two children of shrinks in college, one male and one
female. Oh my, I guess a polite description of them would be "very
liberated".

Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] 04-06-2008 09:13 PM

FAQ Bourgogne v.0.9 [LONG]

> However I knew two children of shrinks in college, one male and one
> female. Oh my, I guess a polite description of them would be "very
> liberated".

_OUR_ children are, in fact, very well behaved and quite normal.

Except for the unfortunate incidents concerning hamsters.

Nils

Dick R. 04-06-2008 10:25 PM

FAQ Bourgogne v.0.9 [LONG]

cwdjrxyz wrote:
<snip>

> I have not known any shrinks well.

Not exactly a shrink story, but many years ago in a previous life
my now ex and I went to a marriage counselor. After hearing him talk
about the problems he and his wife were having we spent most of the
session giving him advice ... then he sent us a bill.
Back around the same time, we had a wacko neighbor who wanted to
become a psychiatrist - probably to try to figure out herself.

Dick R.

Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] 05-06-2008 08:00 AM

FAQ Bourgogne v.0.9 [LONG]

"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i meddelandet
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>>
>> Except for the unfortunate incidents concerning hamsters.

> There was more than one incident?

Don't ask.