Posted to alt.food.wine

Default last minute matching query

Betsy has all day rehearsals this week. So I've been doing dinner (or
taking her out). But problem is she has decided to go on a diet, using
the Sonoma Diet cookbooks (she politely doesn't mention I should lose
25 as she wants to lose 5). The recipes are for the most part pretty
tasty (though a few are stretching too hard for flavor, get one
flavorful ingredient too many-she's learned to adjust). Anyway,
tonight I am to use up some turkey from the freezer. So the recipe is
a stirfry- turkey, sugar snap peas, ginger, garlic, scallions, red
peppers, soba noodles. And the wine kicker- plum sauce. Cookbook
suggests "semi-sweet sparkling", and I do have both Renardat-Fache
Bugey Cerdon and Brun FRV100. I don't have any Moscato or white
sparkling (that might match better in my opinion).

It's hard to guess these things without trying dish (and seeing how
the plum sauce integrates), but these are possibilities that occurred
to me:
rose somewhat sweet bubbly (see above)
just off dry (more sec tendre than demi-sec) Chenin Blanc
fruity Beaujolais
fruity rose
off-dry Riesling

Any thoughts (and yes, I realize someone will say "beer" and/or
"water", but I've had a long day and look forward to my wine). If it
doesn't work, I have plenty of seltzer cartridges.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 2, 3:51 am, DaleW > wrote:
> Betsy has all day rehearsals this week. So I've been doing dinner (or
> taking her out). But problem is she has decided to go on a diet, using
> the Sonoma Diet cookbooks (she politely doesn't mention I should lose
> 25 as she wants to lose 5). The recipes are for the most part pretty
> tasty (though a few are stretching too hard for flavor, get one
> flavorful ingredient too many-she's learned to adjust). Anyway,
> tonight I am to use up some turkey from the freezer. So the recipe is
> a stirfry- turkey, sugar snap peas, ginger, garlic, scallions, red
> peppers, soba noodles. And the wine kicker- plum sauce. Cookbook
> suggests "semi-sweet sparkling", and I do have both Renardat-Fache
> Bugey Cerdon and Brun FRV100. I don't have any Moscato or white
> sparkling (that might match better in my opinion).
>
> It's hard to guess these things without trying dish (and seeing how
> the plum sauce integrates), but these are possibilities that occurred
> to me:
> rose somewhat sweet bubbly (see above)
> just off dry (more sec tendre than demi-sec) Chenin Blanc
> fruity Beaujolais
> fruity rose
> off-dry Riesling
>
> Any thoughts (and yes, I realize someone will say "beer" and/or
> "water", but I've had a long day and look forward to my wine). If it
> doesn't work, I have plenty of seltzer cartridges.

Ginger, garlic, red peppers, plum sauce... I'd suggest a younger,
richer Spatlese - probably something from 05 or 06. Maybe a Schmitt-
Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg?
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in news:b75bf1c4-34e7-40da-a2aa-5aca164f5aa6
@z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

> It's hard to guess these things without trying dish (and seeing how
> the plum sauce integrates), but these are possibilities that occurred
> to me:
> rose somewhat sweet bubbly (see above)
> just off dry (more sec tendre than demi-sec) Chenin Blanc
> fruity Beaujolais
> fruity rose
> off-dry Riesling
>
> Any thoughts (and yes, I realize someone will say "beer" and/or
> "water", but I've had a long day and look forward to my wine). If it
> doesn't work, I have plenty of seltzer cartridges.

FWIW I would go with the Chenin, probably too many flaovors for a
Gewurtztraminer, Southern Rhone white perhaps?

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
> Betsy has all day rehearsals this week. So I've been doing dinner (or
> taking her out). But problem is she has decided to go on a diet, using
> the Sonoma Diet cookbooks (she politely doesn't mention I should lose
> 25 as she wants to lose 5). The recipes are for the most part pretty
> tasty (though a few are stretching too hard for flavor, get one
> flavorful ingredient too many-she's learned to adjust). Anyway,
> tonight I am to use up some turkey from the freezer. So the recipe is
> a stirfry- turkey, sugar snap peas, ginger, garlic, scallions, red
> peppers, soba noodles. And the wine kicker- plum sauce. Cookbook
> suggests "semi-sweet sparkling", and I do have both Renardat-Fache
> Bugey Cerdon and Brun FRV100. I don't have any Moscato or white
> sparkling (that might match better in my opinion).
>
> It's hard to guess these things without trying dish (and seeing how
> the plum sauce integrates), but these are possibilities that occurred
> to me:
> rose somewhat sweet bubbly (see above)
> just off dry (more sec tendre than demi-sec) Chenin Blanc
> fruity Beaujolais
> fruity rose
> off-dry Riesling
>
> Any thoughts (and yes, I realize someone will say "beer" and/or
> "water", but I've had a long day and look forward to my wine). If it
> doesn't work, I have plenty of seltzer cartridges.

Dale, more whole grains, less meat. I read your posts everyday and your
dinners sound great.But check this out: And you can still keep drinking
wine!

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Drink-Be-H...9674768&sr=1-1

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> It's hard to guess these things without trying dish (and seeing how
> the plum sauce integrates), but these are possibilities that occurred
> to me:
> rose somewhat sweet bubbly (see above)
> just off dry (more sec tendre than demi-sec) Chenin Blanc
> fruity Beaujolais
> fruity rose
> off-dry Riesling

Dale, I'd guess that the key to success with plum sauce will be high
acidity and medium body. I'd not be averse to a pretty bone-dry wine,
but off-dry would be fine, too. Riesling, Chenin or even a Champagne
would be my choices.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2008-05-01 12:51:37 -0700, DaleW > said:

> And the wine kicker- plum sauce. Cookbook
> suggests "semi-sweet sparkling", and I do have both Renardat-Fache
> Bugey Cerdon and Brun FRV100. I don't have any Moscato or white
> sparkling (that might match better in my opinion).
>
> It's hard to guess these things without trying dish (and seeing how
> the plum sauce integrates), but these are possibilities that occurred

See how much plum sauce is called for in the recipe - it might not be a
wine killer - if it is just a tablespoon or less I wouldn't worry too
much - done well, the plum sauce should integrate and just balance with
the other flavors, not stand out as it does in a dipping sauce.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In message
ups.com>
DaleW > wrote:

> Betsy has all day rehearsals this week. So I've been doing dinner (or
> taking her out). But problem is she has decided to go on a diet, using
> the Sonoma Diet cookbooks (she politely doesn't mention I should lose
> 25 as she wants to lose 5). The recipes are for the most part pretty
> tasty (though a few are stretching too hard for flavor, get one
> flavorful ingredient too many-she's learned to adjust). Anyway,
> tonight I am to use up some turkey from the freezer. So the recipe is
> a stirfry- turkey, sugar snap peas, ginger, garlic, scallions, red
> peppers, soba noodles. And the wine kicker- plum sauce. Cookbook
> suggests "semi-sweet sparkling", and I do have both Renardat-Fache
> Bugey Cerdon and Brun FRV100. I don't have any Moscato or white
> sparkling (that might match better in my opinion).

> It's hard to guess these things without trying dish (and seeing how
> the plum sauce integrates), but these are possibilities that occurred
> to me:
> rose somewhat sweet bubbly (see above)
> just off dry (more sec tendre than demi-sec) Chenin Blanc
> fruity Beaujolais
> fruity rose
> off-dry Riesling

> Any thoughts (and yes, I realize someone will say "beer" and/or
> "water", but I've had a long day and look forward to my wine). If it
> doesn't work, I have plenty of seltzer cartridges.

I would be inclined to go for a dry Alsatian Grand Cru or good
lieu-dit Gewurztraminer but for once I recommend if not infanticide at
least selecting one which does not have vast bottle age so that you
are drinking it before it has dried out to the point where I normally
like such wine best.

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 1, 3:51�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Betsy has all day rehearsals this week. So I've been doing dinner (or
> taking her out). But problem is she has decided to go on a diet, using
> the Sonoma Diet cookbooks �(she politely doesn't mention I should lose
> 25 as she wants to lose 5). The recipes are for the most part pretty
> tasty (though a few are stretching too hard for flavor, get one
> flavorful ingredient too many-she's learned to adjust). Anyway,
> tonight I am to use up some turkey from the freezer. So the recipe is
> a stirfry- turkey, sugar snap peas, ginger, garlic, scallions, red
> peppers, soba noodles. And the wine kicker- plum sauce. Cookbook
> suggests "semi-sweet sparkling", and I do have both Renardat-Fache
> Bugey Cerdon and Brun FRV100. I don't have any Moscato or white
> sparkling (that might match better in my opinion).
>
> It's hard to guess these things without trying dish (and seeing how
> the plum sauce integrates), but these are possibilities that occurred
> to me:
> rose somewhat sweet bubbly (see above)
> just off dry �(more sec tendre than demi-sec) Chenin Blanc
> fruity Beaujolais
> fruity rose
> off-dry Riesling
>
> Any thoughts (and yes, I realize someone will say "beer" and/or
> "water", but I've had a long day and look forward to my wine). If it
> doesn't work, I have plenty of seltzer cartridges. �

Thanks all. I went with the Riesling, did an '02 Christoffel Spatlese
(notes later). Pretty decent match. The recipe called for 1/4 cup plum
sauce (to 6 oz soba, 12 oz chicken, 2 cups peas, etc). It was tasty,
but if I did over I'd cut the plum sauce in half, a bit too sweet for
my tastes. But liked recipe overall
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 1, 4:47�pm, "Evan Keel" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message

> > Betsy has all day rehearsals this week. So I've been doing dinner (or
> > taking her out). But problem is she has decided to go on a diet, using
> > the Sonoma Diet cookbooks �(she politely doesn't mention I should lose
> > 25 as she wants to lose 5). The recipes are for the most part pretty
> > tasty (though a few are stretching too hard for flavor, get one
> > flavorful ingredient too many-she's learned to adjust). Anyway,
> > tonight I am to use up some turkey from the freezer. So the recipe is
> > a stirfry- turkey, sugar snap peas, ginger, garlic, scallions, red
> > peppers, soba noodles. And the wine kicker- plum sauce. Cookbook
> > suggests "semi-sweet sparkling", and I do have both Renardat-Fache
> > Bugey Cerdon and Brun FRV100. I don't have any Moscato or white
> > sparkling (that might match better in my opinion).

> > It's hard to guess these things without trying dish (and seeing how
> > the plum sauce integrates), but these are possibilities that occurred
> > to me:
> > rose somewhat sweet bubbly (see above)
> > just off dry �(more sec tendre than demi-sec) Chenin Blanc
> > fruity Beaujolais
> > fruity rose
> > off-dry Riesling

> > Any thoughts (and yes, I realize someone will say "beer" and/or
> > "water", but I've had a long day and look forward to my wine). If it
> > doesn't work, I have plenty of seltzer cartridges. �

> Dale, more whole grains, less meat. I read your posts everyday and your
> dinners sound great.But check this out: And you can still keep drinking
> wine!
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Drink-Be-H...66420/ref=...- Hide quoted text -

Fairly similar to Sonoma Diet. More whole grains, beans, less red
meat, Concentration on some "power foods" - almonds, blueberries,
peppers, broccoli, spinach, etc. Food is good, but only Betsy watches
portions. My problem is I've too satisfied. When I was single I stayed
right around 195-200. Now I'm 225, and not motivated to do more. I
need either pressure from Betsy, or my doctor (I do get a lot of
exercise, so still have solid bp, heart tests, etc). Only illness or
lack of love can motivate me!
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Fairly similar to Sonoma Diet. More whole grains, beans, less red
> meat, Concentration on some "power foods" - almonds, blueberries,
> peppers, broccoli, spinach, etc. Food is good, but only Betsy watches
> portions. My problem is I've too satisfied. When I was single I stayed
> right around 195-200. Now I'm 225, and not motivated to do more. I
> need either pressure from Betsy, or my doctor (I do get a lot of
> exercise, so still have solid bp, heart tests, etc). Only illness or
> lack of love can motivate me!

Well, having seen both you and Betsy fairly recently, I can see that
both of you looked in fine shape to me. No, it isn't good to be
overweight, but it's far more important to get exercise and eat
healthily. I lead far too sedentary a life at the moment, but I'm
buoyed by a recent study showing that moderate alcohol consumption was
just as helpful to cardiovascular fitness as moderate exercise (of
course, the combined effects of both moderate alcohol consumption and
moderate exercise was best)

À votre santé!
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 2, 2:44�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Well, having seen both you and Betsy fairly recently, I can see that
> both of you looked in fine shape to me.

Yeah, but there is more of me than there was when we first met 5 or 6
years ago! Betsy is fairly constant, but always wants to drop 5 when
opera season ends (pit is different from evening dress on stage for
chamber).
I'm lucky that while part of my job is on phone, computer, or speaking
engagements, there is some heavy lifting and my vans are parked 3
blocks away up a steep hill. Of course, the dog helps. Get Andrew a
puppy- you'll find yourself taking walks all the time!

Help with menu matching for Spanish dinner lleichtman Wine 12 14-03-2013 01:27 AM
Food and Wine matching livefuz Wine 0 15-04-2010 07:01 AM
Matching yeast strains EnoNut Winemaking 12 15-09-2006 05:51 AM
One 6-minute steep vs two 3-minute steeps LurfysMa Tea 28 22-06-2006 01:05 PM
Rhetoric Not Matching Reality Bob (this one) General Cooking 0 04-09-2005 02:56 AM