Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Some Recent Zins

Got the Ridge Zin List package about two weeks ago. Typically there
are three of the major Ridge bottlings in the distribution with one
set in the Spring and one in the Fall.

This Spring there were four--Geyserville (as always), Paso Robles
(formerly Dusi Ranch), Ponzo and a new one called East Bench. The East
Bench vineyard is reported as between Dry Creek and Alexander Valley
in Sonoma County. All are 2006.

I've delayed tasting the Geyserville--I pretty much know what to
expect there. The East Bench was the one that piqued my interest.
Surprisingly, the wine is almost Cab Sauvignon in style--not what I'd
expected at all. The nose is refined and without the blast of berries
that Draper zins normally show. A bit of pepper, some pencil lead and
subtle spice. The taste is consistent with the first impression. A
balanced wine with body and character but very refined. Chalky notes,
brambles, pepper and spice, and some dark cherry lurking beneath. Not
a raspberry or blackberry in the house. Very much a winner to my
taste.

The Ponzo was a huge disappointment. Watery, flaccid and without
distinction. The accompanying notes talk about a wet spring and
harvest, but "normal" rainfall of 55 inches. Little body, weak on the
nose and certainly not worth the money in terms of taste.

The Paso Robles has become a favorite of mine, joining and Geyserville
and ranking ahead of the Lytton Springs in recent years. This year is
no exception. A typical Ridge Zin with lots of summery fruit, arguably
heavy body and unctuous mouth feel. My style of wine, others may find
it way too "New World".

Then I got a new Fife release. This time it is the Mendocino County
Zinfandel 2004--apparently Fife is not averse to holding their wines a
bit longer before release. At a winery price of $18/btl, this is
definitely great QPR for the big wine style. Lots of black cherry and
black berry fruits in this one. Long finish, mouth-coating, again
might be heavy for those favoring subtlety in their wines.

And, last night on a dinner excursion to the Dallas metroplex, I tried
a zinfandel from Grigch Hills. I'd long been familiar with their Chard
and Cab Sauv, but this is the first time I'd seen a Zinfandel. It was
2006, and I apologize for not noting if it was a specific vineyard
bottling. A more subtle style of zin, but very well balanced and
resolved. Pepper and spice with a hint of black cherry and stewed
fruits in the finish. Went perfectly with my filet au poivre and
spouse's buffalo (i.e. American bison) filet. A wine to look for,
probably around $35 retail.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Ed Rasimus > wrote:

> Got the Ridge Zin List package about two weeks ago. Typically there
> are three of the major Ridge bottlings in the distribution with one
> set in the Spring and one in the Fall.
>
> This Spring there were four--Geyserville (as always), Paso Robles
> (formerly Dusi Ranch), Ponzo and a new one called East Bench. The East
> Bench vineyard is reported as between Dry Creek and Alexander Valley
> in Sonoma County. All are 2006.
>
> I've delayed tasting the Geyserville--I pretty much know what to
> expect there. The East Bench was the one that piqued my interest.
> Surprisingly, the wine is almost Cab Sauvignon in style--not what I'd
> expected at all. The nose is refined and without the blast of berries
> that Draper zins normally show. A bit of pepper, some pencil lead and
> subtle spice. The taste is consistent with the first impression. A
> balanced wine with body and character but very refined. Chalky notes,
> brambles, pepper and spice, and some dark cherry lurking beneath. Not
> a raspberry or blackberry in the house. Very much a winner to my
> taste.
>
> The Ponzo was a huge disappointment. Watery, flaccid and without
> distinction. The accompanying notes talk about a wet spring and
> harvest, but "normal" rainfall of 55 inches. Little body, weak on the
> nose and certainly not worth the money in terms of taste.
>
> The Paso Robles has become a favorite of mine, joining and Geyserville
> and ranking ahead of the Lytton Springs in recent years. This year is
> no exception. A typical Ridge Zin with lots of summery fruit, arguably
> heavy body and unctuous mouth feel. My style of wine, others may find
> it way too "New World".
>
> Then I got a new Fife release. This time it is the Mendocino County
> Zinfandel 2004--apparently Fife is not averse to holding their wines a
> bit longer before release. At a winery price of $18/btl, this is
> definitely great QPR for the big wine style. Lots of black cherry and
> black berry fruits in this one. Long finish, mouth-coating, again
> might be heavy for those favoring subtlety in their wines.
>
> And, last night on a dinner excursion to the Dallas metroplex, I tried
> a zinfandel from Grigch Hills. I'd long been familiar with their Chard
> and Cab Sauv, but this is the first time I'd seen a Zinfandel. It was
> 2006, and I apologize for not noting if it was a specific vineyard
> bottling. A more subtle style of zin, but very well balanced and
> resolved. Pepper and spice with a hint of black cherry and stewed
> fruits in the finish. Went perfectly with my filet au poivre and
> spouse's buffalo (i.e. American bison) filet. A wine to look for,
> probably around $35 retail.
>
> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Thanks for the notes. I will look for the East Bench. Paso Robles
vineyard has also become my favorite Ridge as well.

TN: Zins, minor 2000 Bdx, Cali Syrah, CdP, etc DaleW Wine 0 27-01-2016 04:49 PM
[LONG] Recent and not-so-recent wines Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 9 17-01-2014 10:28 PM
7 Deadly Zins Dick R. Wine 4 06-11-2006 09:35 PM
wine club results for 6 Zins Professor Wine 6 12-10-2006 04:46 PM
question on aged zins Timote Wine 10 16-08-2004 05:50 PM