Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 05 Chateau Hureau Saumur Champigny

With a fine, rich chicken soup which showed it's Brooklyn roots.

This is very young, and was cold to boot in spite of a sojourn in
front of the wood stove. Nice licorice nose with a hard to pin down
hint: angelica? sage? Fine colour, closed at first but with time
opening into a lovely fresh S-C, all fruit and stem, forward but
with a real fleshy backbone.

Ch. Hureau is always good, 05 was a very good Loire year, makes
me a bit sorry I only bought the basic (traditional) wine. (This said
the cuvées -- and Coteaux -- are getting very expensive from this
property.) Or wish that I bought more than a case and a half.

This wine will do very nicely for the next 5-8 years, certainly.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:12:52 +0100, Emery Davis
> wrote:

>With a fine, rich chicken soup which showed it's Brooklyn roots.
>
>This is very young, and was cold to boot in spite of a sojourn in
>front of the wood stove. Nice licorice nose with a hard to pin down
>hint: angelica? sage? Fine colour, closed at first but with time
>opening into a lovely fresh S-C, all fruit and stem, forward but
>with a real fleshy backbone.
>
>Ch. Hureau is always good, 05 was a very good Loire year, makes
>me a bit sorry I only bought the basic (traditional) wine. (This said
>the cuvées -- and Coteaux -- are getting very expensive from this
>property.) Or wish that I bought more than a case and a half.
>
>This wine will do very nicely for the next 5-8 years, certainly.
>
>-E

Sam's in Chicago offered a Saumur les Vignerons Reserve '05 about a
month ago at a very atttractive $9.90 US per bottle/$112 a case. I
confess to ignorance of Loire red wines, but gave it a try.

Found it to be excellent QPR. A wine with body and a nice, but not
overblown structure. Clearly European to even my indiscriminate
palate.

Is the "les Vignerons" labeling indicative of some sort of community
or co-op bottling?

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dug around my email ordering note and got the full label info:

2005 Cave de Saumur's Saumur Champigny "Les Poyeux" (Cabernet Franc)-

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:15:39 GMT
Ed Rasimus > wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:12:52 +0100, Emery Davis
> > wrote:
>
> >With a fine, rich chicken soup which showed it's Brooklyn roots.
> >
> >This is very young, and was cold to boot in spite of a sojourn in
> >front of the wood stove. Nice licorice nose with a hard to pin down
> >hint: angelica? sage? Fine colour, closed at first but with time
> >opening into a lovely fresh S-C, all fruit and stem, forward but
> >with a real fleshy backbone.
> >
> >Ch. Hureau is always good, 05 was a very good Loire year, makes
> >me a bit sorry I only bought the basic (traditional) wine. (This said
> >the cuvées -- and Coteaux -- are getting very expensive from this
> >property.) Or wish that I bought more than a case and a half.
> >
> >This wine will do very nicely for the next 5-8 years, certainly.
> >
> >-E

> Sam's in Chicago offered a Saumur les Vignerons Reserve '05 about a
> month ago at a very atttractive $9.90 US per bottle/$112 a case. I
> confess to ignorance of Loire red wines, but gave it a try.
>
> Found it to be excellent QPR. A wine with body and a nice, but not
> overblown structure. Clearly European to even my indiscriminate
> palate.
>
> Is the "les Vignerons" labeling indicative of some sort of community
> or co-op bottling?

Hi Ed,

Following your other post, the Cave de Saumur is indeed a coop, a
pretty big one I believe. I don't know intimately but the couple of bottles
I've tasted have been very solid.

Saumur is a slightly different terroir than Saumur-Champigny, and is
100% Cabernet franc. The ability to blend a small amount of support
material makes S-C sometimes a bit rounder; but both are generally
well balanced and very versatile.

A big advantage of QPR in this area. If you figure your bottle probably
sold at under 4 EU in quantity, with reasonable markups it can still make
it to the consumer in the US for a good price.

Glad you enjoyed!

-E